Anyone else not too crazy about those giant,inflatable, light up lawn decorations?

Tink&SquirtsMom said:
We have a 3ft tall inflatable reindeer. We found it on sale for $6 and the kids loved it. Now we have the white lights around the house, lining our lawn and porch... very classy. With the reindeer tucked off in a corner of our yard. But I love the tacky "griswald-esque" houses just because of how happy it makes my kids. Really I'm shocked at some of the attitudes here and how people are so negative about what is just an expression of Christmas spirit. Its not like its up year round or affects your home value or anything. And BTW my neighbor directly across the street, and one 2 houses down have displays that could rival Clark Griswald anyday. Just makes me smile.

We have a Dalmation puppy wearing a Santa hat. I think they're fun!

I've got to say that I truly, truly hate the things. We have a neighbor that had nine of them for Halloween and has eleven for Christmas! I have fantasized about going over there with a machette on a windy night and "setting them free"!

The over the top houses just make me smile at how nuts people get,but in a good way

DISshopkeeper said:
I don't care for them. I don't like the plastic stuff either. Just lights for me, but I like colored lights.

ITA. I am not into the inflatable, plastic, or wooden things. And I agree that white lights can get boring after awhile, but I absolutely love colored light displays. That seems much more festive (and not at all tacky) to me. But like I said before, I don't really care what people put in their own yards.

I think they are ok. I really wish people who think "classy" decorations are the only way to go wouldnt judge others decorations. I like tasteful white lights, but I like the colored griswold type houses too. Its Christmas for crying out loud...make merry, be happy...whichever type of decorations you have, if they make you happy then great! But dont insult others by calling their decorations tacky.

But it's not insulting to call traditional decorations "boring"? If you're going to be be judgemental, at least be judgemental fairly!

CLC Tiger Pom Mom :cheer2:

My 3 year old thinks they are the greatest things ever. We have a Santa one on our dock. Probably wouldn't have one otherwise, but she will only be 3 yrs. old once.

debloco said:
But it's not insulting to call traditional decorations "boring"? If you're going to be be judgemental, at least be judgemental fairly!

CLC Tiger Pom Mom :cheer2:

How does saying something is boring compare to saying it looks like vomit or is tacky or is an eyesore or in bad taste or they are horrid, ugly & stupid or even saying they cause nightmares?

They are Christmas decorations. You may not like them and it may not be for you, but really.. Some of these comments don't seem very pixie dusted. Where is the Christmas spirit, people of the CB?

Whatever decorations you have, more power too you. As long as you enjoy them that's all that counts. Tasteless or tacky, Boring or Overdone at least you are celebrating. :wave:

Gee.... I love them. One house not too far from here has 8 or 9 all lined up and for me, it is a joy to ride by....

The only downside to them in my book, is the kids want them in our yard. Those things are pricey! 30-100 bucks a pop. Maybe next year when the house is done....

My neighbor has one of these. He has a really small patch of yard, and he insisits on cluttering it up with tons of stuff! Everything he puts up has to be bigger, and gaudier than everyones elses decorations. He is so annoying! :badpc:

MScott1851 said:
I agree!!!

I had to threaten DH with his life when he started his Clark Griswald-like planning this year. Of course, I won. Tasteful white lights on the house, in the garland, on the tree and mantle, white candles in the windows, etc.

I refuse to let my house look like a beach bar.
This makes me laugh because my dh and I actually had a disagreement the other day when he put up colored lights instead of the white ones that we have always used, I asked him if one of the inflatable things was next

I love it all:) There are quite a few of them here in Celebration. I always loved driving around our neighborhood in Queens, NY to see all the Christmas decorations when I was growing up. We have white rope lights and a small tree with colored lights on our deck. We also may be getting a light up gator that moves just like those deer:) I do not really like plastic light up stuff but I still like to see it all. It is a lot of work!

chesirekate said:
I like the tacky overdone houses best, it's fun to drive by them and see everything lit up, the 'tasteful' houses are just boring. *yawn*

::yes::

I have a Mickey one that my dh bought me last year and I love it!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter