Anyone else not loving the idea of holiday deck parties

mistyandbenjamin

Mouseketeer
It seems the holiday celebration on DCL is getting more elaborate and is lasting longer. I feel lucky to be traveling on the Fantasy during the only week in the fall without some crazy celebration. Don't get me wrong, I love Halloween and Christmas. Our house looks like National Lampoons Christmas but when I am on a cruise I want to have some peace and quiet. I do love the Pirate party but it requires thought and planning and is not in the least relaxing. I guess I am a scrooge but I enjoy sitting out on the upper decks at night watching movies and enjoying the kids in the pool. Maybe I am not educated enough on the holiday plans and decorations. I remember seeing a Christmas tree at port in very early November and although it was very beautiful is just seemed out of place. Anyone else feel the same way?

Following in WDW's footsteps, DCL has found that additional holiday theming will attract a lot of people during what has traditionally been a "slow" time for such vacations. As long as money talks, they'll continue.

I did enjoy the parks gussied up for Christmas one year when we went in December, but I don't want that all the time. Nor do I like Christmas being pushed before Thanksgiving. But that's me and I'm apparently not the norm on such issues.

Following in WDW's footsteps, DCL has found that additional holiday theming will attract a lot of people during what has traditionally been a "slow" time for such vacations. As long as money talks, they'll continue. I did enjoy the parks gussied up for Christmas one year when we went in December, but I don't want that all the time. Nor do I like Christmas being pushed before Thanksgiving. But that's me and I'm apparently not the norm on such issues.

I would agree, but it was neat last year we were there for the last MNSSHP and the following day saw the transformation to Christmas.. Neat but weird.... I would think though they are doing it so more people can enjoy the park dressed up for the holidays...it would to crowded if there were just one month celebrating... I would think....

This year we will be on the fantasy a few weeks prior to Christmas...

I am a fan! I am PUMPED that they moved the Christmas celebrations to November because we would never be able to do a Christmas cruise in December....

Our first cruise was 11/15/03 and we weren't expecting anything special, but boarded to find the ship decorated for the holidays. The next morning the giant tree was in the atrium. We enjoyed it so much that our next three cruises were in early December. I feel the activities at that time were classy, just like the ship. The kids loved listening to Mrs. Claus read them stories in the atrium next to the tree and I enjoyed the entertainers singing the Night Before Christmas. We never did the gingerbread house activity. LOVE the snow maker and snowmen on the dock at CC. They didn't have the deck party then, and I'm not sure I would want to deal with that in addition to Pirate night since being able to skip the movie show that night helps to make it seem not so rushed and there are shows the other nights. I actually miss the tree in the atrium now because we can't cruise in December anymore. We got some great holiday pictures on those cruises and like the characters in their holiday garb :)

I am super excited and was surprised to here our trip would be included in xmas decorations. Always wanted ti visit the parks when decor was up..this is the next best thing

Well since the OP asks, we generally try to avoid any of the Disney stuff around the holidays because we don't participate in any of them. We went over T-giving with the time off once....never again for several reasons. The decorations and festivities start way early but the crowds were ridiculous. So we won't do that again. We also booked the Pirate Dinner in Orlando that week, and all the pirates were dressed as elves already... so... won't do that again either. I like the pirate stunt show and fireworks and I dress up (some of my old renaissance faire goodies) but not necessarily for 'pirate party' because we didn't stay for the deck party, but we won't participate in any holidays, so for us, cruising or Orlando parks in April/May is perfect. Its great weather, out of hurricane season, and the only celebrations going on are our anniversaries!

Disney is a great theme in of itself. It doesn't need the other (for my own personal preference) but they know it's popular so they will continue to do it, which just means I avoid those times.

Now if I can get them to stop sending me Halloween mail... :crazy2:

I don't know about the deck party, but I would love the decorations and activities on the ship. I am actually hoping, fingers and toes crossed, to book an early December 2014 3 or 4 night cruise simply to be able to enjoy the ship decorated for Christmas. :)

Well since the OP asks, we generally try to avoid any of the Disney stuff around the holidays because we don't participate in any of them. We went over T-giving with the time off once....never again for several reasons. The decorations and festivities start way early but the crowds were ridiculous. So we won't do that again. We also booked the Pirate Dinner in Orlando that week, and all the pirates were dressed as elves already... so... won't do that again either. I like the pirate stunt show and fireworks and I dress up (some of my old renaissance faire goodies) but not necessarily for 'pirate party' because we didn't stay for the deck party, but we won't participate in any holidays, so for us, cruising or Orlando parks in April/May is perfect. Its great weather, out of hurricane season, and the only celebrations going on are our anniversaries!

Disney is a great theme in of itself. It doesn't need the other (for my own personal preference) but they know it's popular so they will continue to do it, which just means I avoid those times.

Now if I can get them to stop sending me Halloween mail... :crazy2:

This is me too. We don't celebrate holidays so it makes it really hard for us, especially when they have started doing it earlier and earlier. I understand the masses celebrate, their choice, but Christmas is at the end of December. Decorating the ship and making a majority of the activities holiday themed at the beginning of November is not necessary. I think if you book a cruise two weeks before a holiday, it is to be expected but not almost two months. JMO. Needless to say, our cruise is at the end of February. Avoids all major holidays.

the Atrium on the Wonder Christmas 2012
P1100023.JPG

I love the fact that they changed how early they decorate the ships for Christmas because my family will be on the 1st Fantasy Christmas Cruise for this year on 11/9/13. My kids are excited about all the different holiday activities that are planned. I heard they will have special holiday-inspired menus in the MDRs. We usually pay approximately $300.00 - $400.00 to have a family photo session in December to get photos for our Chrismas cards and to hang new family photos in our house to commemorate our kids getting older. But, since the cruise will be decorated for Christmas, we are sure to get lots of great Christmas photos that we can use. We pre-ordered the Photo CD and all the prints already so we should have plenty of photos to choose from. Besides photos in front of the Christmas Tree in the lobby, I hope they have special Holiday backdrops for some of the photo opportunities. :santa:

It seems the holiday celebration on DCL is getting more elaborate and is lasting longer. I feel lucky to be traveling on the Fantasy during the only week in the fall without some crazy celebration. Don't get me wrong, I love Halloween and Christmas. Our house looks like National Lampoons Christmas but when I am on a cruise I want to have some peace and quiet. I do love the Pirate party but it requires thought and planning and is not in the least relaxing. I guess I am a scrooge but I enjoy sitting out on the upper decks at night watching movies and enjoying the kids in the pool. Maybe I am not educated enough on the holiday plans and decorations. I remember seeing a Christmas tree at port in very early November and although it was very beautiful is just seemed out of place. Anyone else feel the same way?

I agree, there is very little calm time around the pool decks during normal hours as it is without adding more chaos.

I also agree about celebrating too early, there were threads from September asking about Halloween costumes on board. I understand marketing but if everyday is a holiday then what is so special about it? I don't want to trick or treat in September any more than I want to celebrate Valentines in November. Everything has its season.

If I were booked on an early November cruise, and found out the ship was going to be "holiday decorated", I would be canceling.

Okay, I am glad I asked. I felt I was being a scrooge but I guess there are at least a few people who understand. I love DCL and I love holidays but anyway.

My 1st cruise ever and I am just thrilled to get to see all the decorations... a little disappointed that the staterooms are not decorated too(from what I was told)

I just curious does DCL have a nativity display on the ship during Christmas?

Mike

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter