• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone else not impressed by SSR ?

Has anyone taken notice of the little building in the common area the DVC sales staff use for hi tech presentations.....the ceiling is all blue with hundreds of "stars". Take a look at the exterior of the building....it looks like a church. I think it would be great if someday in the future it were actually made into an operating church, something that would replace the now gone services they had over at Poly.

Originally posted by VanHouten
This is also the feeling I had when walking down the street. It felt like a town center with a cinema and storefronts. I think that feeling will increase when the whole thing is done and the fence on the other side of the street is down.

I haven't been to any other DVC but I liked SSR.
What are the plans for the common areas/town center? Is the cinema opened? Are there going to be stores?
We were first at this resort when it was just Disney Village and then during it's time as DI. I do agree the buildings in the common areas are boxy and I was surprised to see they were not more refurbished then they were. The villas, I think look great and I also like the room decor. From the outside, the villas remind me of BWV, in the coloring and especially the enclosed balconies.
I am really looking forward to exploring this resort the next time we are in WDW.

Wow, what an amazing & enlightening comment. I'm curious, was it your 1st or your 12th post. If it was your 1st, I'll have to do a search for the next 11, hopefully they will be just as thought provoking.

Originally posted by KNWVIKING
Wow, what an amazing & enlightening comment. I'm curious, was it your 1st or your 12th post. If it was your 1st, I'll have to do a search for the next 11, hopefully they will be just as thought provoking.

ROTFL :rotfl:

Viking: Come on, lets discuss something important. How long are SSR's hallways?

HBC

Originally posted by greg778899
I GUESS IF YOU DONT LIKE SSR, DONT STAY AT SSR.

Not planning to. But thanks for the advice.

As the question was "is anyone else not impressed" I figured the OP would welcome critical comments.

The nice thing about DVC is that one person can love SSRs decor and think the location is ideal, and the next person can love staying at BCVs.

Originally posted by crisi
Not planning to. But thanks for the advice.

As the question was "is anyone else not impressed" I figured the OP would welcome critical comments.

The nice thing about DVC is that one person can love SSRs decor and think the location is ideal, and the next person can love staying at BCVs.
And many of us could love both!

/Jim

***" I figured the OP would welcome critical comments."***

Absolutely. I never expected everybody to have the same opinion of SSR that I have, (I expected to be in the minority) and have enjoyed reading the reasons why some love SSR exactly as it is. I have not challenged anyones opposite views. But there is nothing about this thread that deserves a "don't like,don't stay" comment.

Originally posted by crisi

Ahemmm... NO!! No one should ever love staying at BCVs. They are bad. Very bad. This has been a public service announcement. We now take you back to your regularly scheduled thread...

Agree totally with the OP's opinion on SSR. Very, very nice - but - my wife and I said --- something is missing? In the courtyard area I thought they would be best to create a "bustling" uptown area with shops, a town square, etc.

Also, right now the resort lacks for trees.

With all of that said, it is quite lovely.

We'll be going in two weeks. Parents bought DVC last year and this will be first trip "home." A little worried since Mom loves the WL and doesn't care for horses.

I'll let you know what we think.

Even though I am sure that I will love most aspects of SSR once I get a chance to stay there in Aug it is good to hear the opinions from everyone, not just from those that think it to be great. I am glad that there are many, many more positive posts, but it is still good to hear the others.

Originally posted by HookdonWDW
Ahemmm... NO!! No one should ever love staying at BCVs. They are bad. Very bad. This has been a public service announcement. We now take you back to your regularly scheduled thread...

And, let me add to that....BWV hallways are DEFINITELY too long!!! And, the standard views...yuck!!! just awful...you'd hate them really...don't even book them, they're not worth your time!!!
Really, trust me!!!

;)

Beca

Having never been to the DI, I didn't have any frame of reference when looking at the new resort. I loved the small town look along Broadway. The DVC staff must have mentioned a thousand times that all the furniture is Thomasville. Which means that they didn't cut corners on the furnishings. The pictures I viewed of the room decor did not do it justice. Seeing the rooms in person, I liked the colors and decor much more. The GV is the reason I did an add on, it definitely had that "WOW" effect on DW and I. The only negative to me was the distance between the rooms and the common areas. Unless I was staying in one of the buildings under construction across the street from the common areas, I would only use the quiet pool. I loved the quiet pool. With the kids playground next to it, I thought it was a very nice area. The laundry room next to the pool was a nice touch too. It will be nice for people to do laundry as they're relaxing at the pool. I wasn't a big fan of the statue garden, it looked out of place to me. Overall I loved the resort and look forward to staying there, it will be a nice addition to the DVC resorts.
-Chris:wave:

As for now, I have no opinion on SSR, but plan to visit it in less than 30 days, and will give my views then.
One thing I AM worried about is the announcement of a phase 3 to increase it to 800+ rooms. Now help me figure this out, how many PEOPLE will that be if the resort is full? 800x4=3200 guests, 3 pools. (1 theme pool, 2 quiet). Sounds like a major crowd to me, but that is YEARS off, so it sounds like a great resort, just not sure of the new phase.

Again, as someone said, DVC does it right, it will be a 4/5 star resort in AAA book, and a destination that a lot of people will love.
Hey, its on Disney property, right????!!! Who cares if it is "boxy"?

DeerH

DH and I did not like the motel feeling - cement hallways and very little decor on the hallway walls. After a hot day at the parks I like stepping into an airconditioned building and walking on soft carpet! We both thought this place is perfect for DVCers who like to golf, enjoy PI and DTD. One of the nice things about DVC is that it caters to everyone's different likes - HH, VB, BCV, VWL, BW, OKW and now SSR.

I'll take the ferries from BCV/BW any day over the small (open) ferries at SSR. The seats were not comfortable and open to the elements. Everyone on board will be soaked if there is wind and rain? Also, what's up with the boats listing to one side?

The grand villa was nice and if I were to ever stay there I would try to get one of those for a large gathering.

Annmarie

1) Compared to Values or Modferates, it is nice.
2) Compared to DVC or other timeshares, it is mediocre.
3) I was not overly impressed.
4) We did not buy.

Just visited yesterday before our flight home. As with each and every DVC resort, there are Pros and Cons to each person that must be weighed. A couple observations on SSR, Pro and Con, each can decide.
Pros (as I see them)
1) The decor is absolutely beautiful, not my taste per say, but very upscale, better than any of the other DVCs.
2) The completed area (Congress Park, I believe) is great, beautiful views of DD, nighttime will be wonderful.
3) I liked the Restaurant/store combo - excellent decor and layout.
4) Pool was nice, two slides.
5) Has very laid back feel, like OKW, but a little better location.
6) Parking at unit.

Now for the Cons (again, as I see them)
1) The completed area, is only a few of the total units, thus most won't have the view of DD - almost creates a PV vs SV situation.
2) The location. Our favorite is still BWV because of the location to the action.
3) Unlike OKW, the parking does not put you right at the unit, bigger parking lot and there is a maze of hallways to negotiate.
4) The Grand Villa. While beautiful, it has walls through the common area, it makes it appear smaller than OKW or BWV.
5) Spread out. Like OKW, you will almost have to have a car or use the busses just to get around the resort.

Just an observation, but the community hall, restaurant, etc seem very small for the total number units planned.

A very beautiful resort with the pros and cons that all have, because of our location preference to the action, we probably won't buy in, but still a great choice.

Originally posted by Nick@ VB+OKW
Student.gif

I am sure when SSR is completely finished it will be 1st class like all of the other DVC resorts.
I agree.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter