Anyone else hoping DVC switches back to II from RCI?

utahkennedys

DIS Veteran
I am hoping this happens sooner than later! I can't imagine many trading out of DVC into RCI are satisfied. We own 3 other timeshares and hate RCI but love II. Who wouldn't pick a Westin or a Marriott over most of the RCI choices (ok HGVC may be the exception) but the list of RCI resorts is so, so mediocre compared to II's resorts. Please DVC...switch back so we have this option again! Ok, my 2 cents!;)

As someone who is currently staying in a gorgeous vacation club resort exchanged through II, I wholeheartedly agree.

Yes, we are hoping that DVC switches back to II some day. We have stayed at Westins and Marriotts and prefer those to the RCI pickings. I wonder how many DVCers are using RCI? DVC seems to deposit quite a lot of weeks into RCI, so they must be getting something out of it. We have another timeshare that we use to trade via II, but it would be great if DVC went back to II!!!

Easy question with a quick answer...YES! I think the II resorts were more the 'standard' we prefer.

Absolutely! I think getting what you want through RCI is a real crap shoot.

I am hoping this happens sooner than later! I can't imagine many trading out of DVC into RCI are satisfied. We own 3 other timeshares and hate RCI but love II. Who wouldn't pick a Westin or a Marriott over most of the RCI choices (ok HGVC may be the exception) but the list of RCI resorts is so, so mediocre compared to II's resorts. Please DVC...switch back so we have this option again! Ok, my 2 cents!;)

Meeee tooooooooooo!!! We also own at HGVC, and they also trade RCI. No good options for me.

You may not get the Westin's or Marriott's!

Just like with RCI it would be "selected" resorts

And just like with RCI good luck trading into anything you want!

If you wanted a trader DVC was a bad choice!

(My sucess rate with both of them ZERO unless you want to wait 2 years for something LOL!)

I think II is better than RCI overall, however, RCI is a better fit for DVC. Also, just because a resort is on the list doesn't mean one can trade to it. In that regard (actual exchanges) I think II is still better but not nearly as much so as at first glance. As I've posted before, I would love to see DVC ramp up BVTC. I believe they could rival RCI & II if they partnered with Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, Westin and the like.

YES, YES, YES!!! I wish DVC would change back to II. I like those resorts so much better!

Makes me think it must be a financial arrangment with DVC as opposed to a member satisfaction issue but maybe someday DVC will trade with II again!

OH HECK yes!! I really wish they switch to interval intl. RCI WAS SUED and with due right. They took prime trades and put them on the extra vacation sale site. They lost the suit. Then they gave a measly $20 credit to stay at their motel rooms for trade. Gee the consumers lost again
My DVC units surpass those of RCI. I HAVE A SHERATON unit that is currently with II and I'm glad I'm with them now through Sheraton. I too hope Disney switches to II. If a petition gets going, then I'll sign.

Easy question with a quick answer...YES! I think the II resorts were more the 'standard' we prefer.

I also don't like that they give RCI week-long stays at BCV. It's no wonder it's so hard to get a ressie there.

We're not likely to use DVC to trade anyway, but I do agree that II has better choices, and we would be more likely to trade into II than into RCI. HGVC and some of the WorldMark properties are the only ones I've seen in RCI that are comparable to what we have. The rest are pretty iffy.

Yes, Yes and ..... Yes

It is a major reason we are dissatisfied with DVC right now. We had planned to use our DVC to trade out as we got tired of Disney and wanted a break for a few years. As Diane said what RCI offers to DVC is a crapshoot.

I am sure it was about money, have to wonder since it was not about member satisfaction whose pocket got greased.

I would love to see DVC ramp up BVTC. I believe they could rival RCI & II if they partnered with Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, Westin and the like.

This I would totally support.

There are two issues.

The first, and most obvious one, is that RCI has very well-developed rental channels, both to other RCI members and non-owners alike. This is good news for Disney, as they have a lot of inventory backing "Reservation Status" points that they need to rent out and turn into cash. RCI's rental market is ripe for this, because it consists of people who already know why condos are better for them than hotel rooms, and are willing to pay for the extra space and comfort.

The second reason is the one that The Powers That Be give: RCI's larger inventory base has allowed them to satisfy more exchange requests more quickly than II did. Whether you believe that or not depends on your level of paranoia when it comes to TPTB. But, i suspect it is likely to be true. As Dean points out, a lot of those "great" resorts in II get very little inventory---particularly in season. What's more, the Marriotts and Starwoods all have internal preference periods, where other owners in those systems have a window of exclusive access to newly deposited weeks. Finally, since DVC left, Marriott has gone to their Club product, and significantly changed the way they deposit, to the detriment of II exchangers---this is something that the II/Marriott folks on TUG are very very unhappy about.

Ultimately, for an informed owner, it doesn't matter with which exchange DVC affiliates---on a cash-rental basis, almost *none* of them are good deals. You would almost certainly be better off renting out points, and using the proceeds to secure the non-Disney lodging you desire.

The BVTC thing would be interesting, but the question is: what's in it for Disney? How does having it help Disney sell more timeshares? My guess is that the Guides have learned how to cherry-pick destinations and resorts in the RCI "wish book" to make it look like an attractive alternative, so the marginal value of "better" alternatives on the sales floor is modest. But, spinning up a "real" exchange system would cost real money, and Mickey would want a return on that investment---*and* would need to find a way to replace RCI's rental channels.

I think switching back to II is more likely than a BVTC spin-up from a business-case perspective, and that would happen only if II gets serious about its own rental channels.

I'd like to see them dual affiliated with both RCI and II (Interval).

I actually surprisingly have enjoyed my recent RCI resort trips once I gave them a chance. We're at Waterside by Spinnaker in Hilton Head, SC, right now and it's wonderful (probably the cleanest resort I've ever stayed at) and it's close to restaurants and shops. Waterside is going to be dual affiliated soon with II, too, so maybe I can trade back into it without a 1 in 4 rule like RCI has. ;)

We stayed at Wyndham Waikiki Beachwalk back in January and that resort trades through RCI and I'd go back to it in a heartbeat. I do enjoy Marriott and Westin's quality, but they can be hard to get in II because of the internal preferences given those chains for their owners.

I am intrigued by the last post.... We are at the stage that the kids are still young and love Disney every year, but (and not to take it away from the main post) I would love to see other positive experiences/locations people have had with RCI to know for the future! (Knowing me, I will make a list and tuck it away for the future!:goodvibes)

I am intrigued by the last post.... We are at the stage that the kids are still young and love Disney every year, but (and not to take it away from the main post) I would love to see other positive experiences/locations people have had with RCI to know for the future! (Knowing me, I will make a list and tuck it away for the future!:goodvibes)

My recent RCI resort stays weren't using my DVC points. I have cheaper ways to have access to RCI than using DVC points. I actually am staying at Waterside in a 2 bedroom for $294 a week (plus tax) on an RCI Last Call (rental offered within 45 days of check-in). If I were going to trade my DVC points using RCi, I'd probably only do it for a Hilton Grand Vacation Club property or Manhattan Club in New York. Of course, if DVC was still affiliated with II, a high-end Westin/Sheraton (Starwood) or Marriott trade would be something I would consider using my DVC points. RCI actually has a few Sheraton and Marriott properties - some of the older ones.

Our experiences with II have been wonderful. We have traded into Westin Maui Ocean Resort Villas twice (both with ocean view), Westin Kierland in Scottsdale, Sheraton Desert Oasis in Scottsdale (over President's Week), Marriott Canyon Villas in Scottsdale (over Pres. Week), Marriott Newport Coast, Marriott Shadow Ridge in Palm Springs -- the list goes on. I never see anything even close to the quality of these trades or the timeframe in RCI. I firmly believe RCI takes all of the good weeks and they never hit the exchange books. And I feel like to have any shot at a half-decent week in RCI you are planning 2+ years out whereas with II we only plan 8-12 months out.

At least in II you have access to the great resorts and timeshare companies where with RCI their "great" resorts are subpar, small and often apartment-converted into timeshare places especially in places we like to visit like So Cal. Most of the trades we wouldn't even rent for a low price in cash. It's unfortunate that DVC has done this in our eyes!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter