Anyone else here actually glad with the closing of Maelstrom and others?

ethanwa

Disney Superfan
I am.

Maelstrom was a boring ride. It was somewhat educational, but also very weird and honestly not much fun. I rode it tonight around 8pm and I still feel the same way. I always felt it was a very forgetful ride at WDW.

Backlot Tour was VERY outdated and past its prime.

Some of the entertainment at Epcot was good (Off Kilter) but we can't have them playing the same shows year after year for the next 20 years. It HAS to change at some point. I'm glad to see World Showcase get refreshed.

American Idol just needed to go. With the fad of the show gone, it just seemed out of place. They had to beg people to go to it.

Pleasure Island and much of Downtown Disney was, let's face it, stuck in the 1990's. Was it fun? Sure. But it was also tired in how it looked and felt going into 2010 and beyond. Disney Springs is much needed for that area.

I love change at WDW. It makes things exciting and fresh and new. Yeah... I get the nostalgia of it all. So does Disney. I mean, instead of taking Dumbo out, they made two of them! So they know what they truly can't get rid of.

Anyone else with me? Or am I alone here?

Ethan

I am not heartbroken about Maelstrom but rather excited about what they are going to replace it.

AIE needs to go but they have always struggled with the attraction at that location.

Backlot has been in dire need of attention for years.

Disney spent way too much money on this Fastpass+ and My Disney Experience disaster instead of making needed updates.

Im with you on everything....I love new things at WDW! Never been a fan of malestrom...never did AIE..and the backlot tour was not great and outdated. Looking forward to a frozen attraction. I think it will be a great fit!

I am.

Maelstrom was a boring ride. It was somewhat educational, but also very weird and honestly not much fun. I rode it tonight around 8pm and I still feel the same way. I always felt it was a very forgetful ride at WDW.

Some of the entertainment at Epcot was good (Off Kilter) but we can't have them playing the same shows year after year for the next 20 years. It HAS to change at some point. I'm glad to see World Showcase get refreshed.

American Idol just needed to go. With the fad of the show gone, it just seemed out of place. They had to beg people to go to it.

Pleasure Island and much of Downtown Disney was, let's face it, stuck in the 1990's. Was it fun? Sure. But it was also tired in how it looked and felt going into 2010 and beyond. Disney Springs is much needed for that area.

I love change at WDW. It makes things exciting and fresh and new. Yeah... I get the nostalgia of it all. So does Disney. I mean, instead of taking Dumbo out, they made two of them! So they know what they truly can't get rid of.

Ethan
~I couldn't be more thrilled, lol. :lmao: And of course, I just can't wait for Avatarland!

"Fixing" things that are not broken while ignoring things that are indeed broken?

Love the Fantasyland expansion! love the addition of 7 dwarves mine train! World Showcase does need some attention and the Studios has become the world that Disney forgot.

I am! We rode it in February and thought it was terribly old and outdated.

Still want a Star Wars World!

I'm actually excited for Avatarland. They are going to make it look amazing.

I'm a bit excited about the backlot closing, as I'm hoping it means really good things are coming to DHS.

I don't necessarily mind that Maelstrom itself is gone (I agree it was old and outdated and needed a change), but I dislike how Norway is becoming Arendelle instead of Norway. I want to hope that the new ride will still relate to Norway, but given the description of the new ride including movie scenes and songs, I'm more than a bit skeptical.

AS for the World Showcase entertainment...I don't have an issue with changing out the acts, but I am *not* a fan of what they chose to replace Mo'Rockin and Off Kilter with. I wasn't a huge fan of either of those groups, but the videos I've seen of their replacements are just....bad. I also dislike that they removed Fife and Drum corps without replacing it. It was such a great homage to our history, which is what that pavilion is supposed to be about.

I'm fine with AIE closing...though I do wish it had stayed open til I could have tried auditioning there on this trip. I didn't have the opportunity to on our 2013 trips unfortunately :(. But AI is a dying show, so I completely understand why the attraction is gone and am again hoping it means great things for DHS.

Pleasure Island...I miss the Adventurer's Club, as it was true Disney magic IMO, but I was fine with the rest being changed up. But them changing it up has pretty much meant there's no real "adult" zone at Disney any more, and that I am not a fan of. I hope Jellyrolls will be awesome when we go in November. I also have no real feeling one way or the other on the renovation to Disney Springs.

So overall..I'm excited about some things. Others...especially the lumberjack show and Mo'Rockin replacement I just don't think will last very long. And still some others needed a change, but I'm skeptical on how they are changing them...keeping an open mind, but skeptical

NO...because I will be there in 12 days and it just puts up more construction walls and reduces DHS to a measly 5 rides.

I only go every 4-5 years so. Ummmm....NO

No. Because as others have said, instead of building new rides, using vacant buildings (Wonders of Life, I'm talking to you!) and updating their IT, Disney has failed on every other attempt. HM update was OK. New Fantasyland is OK. But nothing at EPCOT. And now we are getting the presence of a "meh movie" in THREE freakin' parks. A&E m&G at MK, shops/parades/events at DHS and now a stupid and unnecessary ride at EPCOT where it clearly does not belong.

So no. Not excited one freakin' bit. :mad:

I'm excited about most of the changes. Maelstrom was in no way my favorite ride...but I've said many times, I'd rather have an outdated Maelstrom ride than some Frozen cash grab ride. The changes in other parks and Downtown I'm either totally cool with or indifferent. But what's happening in Epcot (not just Maelstrom, live shows too) is just sad.

I never was a fan of Maelstorm, my DD loved it...would welcome new additions to the FW...Universe of Energy, old Wonders of life pavillion both need a breath of fresh air!

I'm a bit excited about the backlot closing, as I'm hoping it means really good things are coming to DHS.

I don't necessarily mind that Maelstrom itself is gone (I agree it was old and outdated and needed a change), but I dislike how Norway is becoming Arendelle instead of Norway. I want to hope that the new ride will still relate to Norway, but given the description of the new ride including movie scenes and songs, I'm more than a bit skeptical.

AS for the World Showcase entertainment...I don't have an issue with changing out the acts, but I am *not* a fan of what they chose to replace Mo'Rockin and Off Kilter with. I wasn't a huge fan of either of those groups, but the videos I've seen of their replacements are just....bad. I also dislike that they removed Fife and Drum corps without replacing it. It was such a great homage to our history, which is what that pavilion is supposed to be about.

This sums up my feelings pretty well. I would also rather see them stagger the entertainment changes in Epcot. I think changing so many at one time was a mistake.

Glad for some new stuff, and wish there was more!

It's interesting how Disney takes it on the chin so many times for changing at a glacial pace compared to the brand up the street. Yet when they do make changes, they take heat (and online petitions!) for getting rid of dear, old whatever-it-is, too.

I'm with you- I was glad to see Maelstrom go- it was an embarrassment, a seriously ridiculously outdated ride that should've been gone years ago.

All the others you mentioned were way past their prime. WDW was intended to be ever changing. If they kept everything exactly as it is, there would be no reason to return for a lot of people.

We plan our vacations around when the next new thing is opening! We have traditions of course, but we want new and different as well.

Epcot is getting tired- time to stir it up a bit!!!

If Disney wants to replace I'm fine with that. As long as it is in conjunction with filling empty buildings in the park. Too many empty spots where they could put brand new attractions and let the old ones alone!

My family likes to wait between WDW visits so there are more changes and new to discover. We miss a few things from Future World but have the memories to treasure (World of Motion, Horizons...)

Epcot should not become an animation world. I would much rather have had a new country or two added to WorldShowCase! :)

I am.

Ethan

Overall I agree with you. I rode Maelstrom for the first time this past June (yes after 20 or so trips), it was OK. I don't mind it closing but I don't really like making it a Frozen attraction just because it doens't fit the theme of Epcot.

It does stink when you're favorite attraction is changed for something else though. I totally get that. But if WDW hadn't changed any since it opened in 1971, I doubt there would still be a WDW to go to.

I'm excited. I never got to experience Maelstrom but watching a few videos, it didn't seem like something I'd care for. But a ride based on my favourite film is very exciting to me obviously. Though, ideally, I'd rather a Frozen ride in Fantasyland.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter