• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone else hear about Grand Floridian DVC?

Now POLY would be a different story, I personally believe that it would be the quickest DVC to ever sell out.

I think VGC will be the quickest sell out bar none; I doubt they'll ever make one that small again and it's the first @ DL. We'll find out soon enough once the founders period ends! :laughing:

DVC GF is my dream and DH knows it. That's why we are holding out and not buying at BLT. Poly is cute but to kitschy to me although we do enjoy the pool and atmosphere there. Those tiki statues are not really my style but then again, The Contemporary was absolutely not my style, but it's all I can do not to add on there. The only thing holding us back is the dream of a GF DVC.

If they do Poly first, I don't know how much longer I could wait! I think Poly should be after GF because I think it will be more popular than GF. I believe that quite a few folks who really want a Poly or GF DVC have jumped on BLT because they just can't wait for them. I think the same will likely apply if they build GF first. Many Poly fans will buy because they can't be sure when or if a Poly DVC will come about.

If GF comes about it will have the highest point costs of all the Deluxe DVC's so perhaps they will save it for the last of the DVC resorts.

Hmmmm. I'm driving myself crazy.

DH and I are waiting for this one. We love GF and have stayed 3 times each stay better than the next. We honestly have never had a bad stay at Disney but do know that it can happen.

But before DVC GF we need to get some points at BC for our Epcot addiction.

I watch the boards fairly closely. (Help me, I'm a DIS-a-holic.)

My 1st recollection was of someone who said they were bored and photo shopped DVC buildings in at both the Poly and Grand Floridian.

Well, I think everyone was quite surprised how new building(s) fit right in at the Grand Floridian. I don't remember exactly how much space, but it was definitely big enough for DVC. (The Poly was a strange fit.)

Others piped in about how they would L-O-V-E to have DVC at GF. Then others mentioned that GF may lose some customers the 4 Seasons development and have excess capacity. Then others brought up the rumor that all deluxe resorts would eventually have DVC...so then...

A rumor was born. GF would definitely be next.

Who knows? The DIS may have even been part of the reason that we have a Bay Lake Tower. I'm pretty sure the DIS is the reason that we don't have a Kingdom Tower. I kind of wondered if the bored photoshopper, was indeed a DVC spy. She definitely started something though.

Y'all let me know if my story about this is wrong.

That was me!!! Just dreamin' big in my spare time!!

picture.php

picture.php

And the Poly, too!

picture.php

picture.php

I know someone referenced the fact that the Poly buildings are almost 40 years old already, and the GF buildings are now 20 years old, so I'd agree that razing current buildings at the Poly to replace with DVC buildings would be the best approach to justify adding villas there. GF seems to have space across that small waterway (bayous down here, ha) for expansion.

What design elements at Kidani did they reduce?

The only design changes I'm aware of are to the 3 southern-most sections of KV. These three sections were originally planned with villas on the savanna side and the parking lot side. The parking lot side is now eliminated for a maintenance area, I thought this was the reason for that change. Not aware of any other eliminated design elements.

Who knows? The DIS may have even been part of the reason that we have a Bay Lake Tower. I'm pretty sure the DIS is the reason that we don't have a Kingdom Tower.

I doubt that. Remember the posters who insisted the construction on the Contemporary's north garden wing was just asbestos removal? Then when the buildings were being demolished, they insisted it was going to be a mixed use building of hotel rooms and DVC units? Those DIS rumors were proved wrong and those cm rumors who stated from the start that it was a DVC wing were proved correct.

If DVC was listening to the DIS, I doubt they would have ended up naming the building after a sandwich.

That was me!!! Just dreamin' big in my spare time!!

picture.php

picture.php

And the Poly, too!

picture.php

picture.php

I know someone referenced the fact that the Poly buildings are almost 40 years old already, and the GF buildings are now 20 years old, so I'd agree that razing current buildings at the Poly to replace with DVC buildings would be the best approach to justify adding villas there. GF seems to have space across that small waterway (bayous down here, ha) for expansion.

That was fantastic! I tried pulling up your links and got blank pages. Maybe Poly and GF were mentioned before your pictures, but I do truly believe that the rumors went mainstream after those photoshop pictures. I even started thinking it would be cool to stay at GF, and trust me I'm not one to stay somewhere snooty just to be snooty.

As a LA person, what do you think of Port Orleans? If I didn't have DVC, I would stay at Dixie Landings (cough) POR every time. I'm afraid that if DVC ever went to POR that they would also go in at POP. I'm not in favor of that, at all.

If DVC was listening to the DIS, I doubt they would have ended up naming the building after a sandwich.

I dunno, as an owner I'm rather proud of my sandwich; it amuses me greatly! I hope the lounge will have appetizer size BLT BLTs available. :rotfl: Actually, I might have to get the ingredients and make a BLT while I'm at BLt... :lmao:

That was fantastic! I tried pulling up your links and got blank pages. Maybe Poly and GF were mentioned before your pictures, but I do truly believe that the rumors went mainstream after those photoshop pictures. I even started thinking it would be cool to stay at GF, and trust me I'm not one to stay somewhere snooty just to be snooty.

As a LA person, what do you think of Port Orleans? If I didn't have DVC, I would stay at Dixie Landings (cough) POR every time. I'm afraid that if DVC ever went to POR that they would also go in at POP. I'm not in favor of that, at all.

I'll redo the pics tonight, including the actual pics instead of links (can't access here at school).

Well, I've stayed at both sides of the resort. Think they did a great job on the Riverside portion (theme execution), FQ is a great replica of the real deal, without the trash, nightlife feel, and homeless people (not making fun of those folks, just been there so much to notice them). When I looked at the sat view of the property, at first I thought across the Sassagoula from FQ would be an ideal place for DVC...but they would have to disrupt the golf course (if still opened) to proceed.

I think DVC needs to remain on the deluxe side as well, though.

Think they'll do anything with the south garden wing of Contemporary? Guess it depends on how quick BLT sells out. Maybe that one have could have another cute sandwich nickname.....

The Grand Floridian is probably the only place on property I wouldn't want to stay.

I doubt if it will ever happen and if it does, it won't be for several years. Disney is down sizing and cutting back to stay profitable. BLT sales have been much slower than projected and they reduced several design elements at Kidani Village to make a larger profit.

What design elements at Kidani?

What design elements at Kidani?

In conversation with a manager at DVD I was told that some design elements had been modified or deleted due to budget issues. This isn't uncommon in the construction business.

We will be a WDW starting next week and I have a lunch meeting scheduled where maybe I can find out more.

Here are my original images, again I created these and they are merely Figments of my imagination (but if DVC builds these on my plans you all backing me on a design fee, right).

GF property with DVC addition to the north:

GFDVCSatIMG.jpg

Details of DVC addition:

GFDVCCloseupLabeled.jpg

Poly property with DVC additions to eastern side:

PolyDVCSatIMG.jpg

Details of Poly DVC:

PolyDVCCloseupLabeled.jpg

In conversation with a manager at DVD I was told that some design elements had been modified or deleted due to budget issues. This isn't uncommon in the construction business.

We will be a WDW starting next week and I have a lunch meeting scheduled where maybe I can find out more.
I agree that this is pretty common and not too shocking with the current economy. Also with the docs I signed I pretty much am promised a room. Everything else is a perk.

My question would be if they're downsizing and they know it and it's any substantial part of the design, are the guides still pushing it as the whole?

We would _love_ a GF DVC. The GF is one of our favorite resorts at WDW, and is the only resort at WDW that we would definitely add many points on to stay it regularly. We would be particularly happy if they did a Concierge/Club level option there... hopefully with more rooms than are available at AKV. It would make sense in some ways, as it is the flagship, and it would be great to offer the premium experience.

If they did a DVC at the Poly first, we might add on points. We like it better than the CR and not as much as the GF. We're still waffling about a BLT add on, as we love being on the monorail with small children. It doesn't make financial sense for us to add on this year... and probably not next year, either. (Adoption expenses are considerable!)

Anyway, we didn't find the GF snooty at all. We _love_ the live music in the lobby. We love the concierge food options. We love the view of the lake in the evening. We love the restaurant options. Heck, we even love walking past the soap store when we get off the monorail in the evening. We're not that into their pool, but unless we're staying at the BC, we're probably not staying at a resort for the pool!

I hope the rumors are true, and they're at least sending out feelers to see how much interest there would be in a GF DVC. They will wrap up BLT, VGC, Kidani, and the treehouses before too long, and they'll only have Hawaii in progress. I think they'll announce something else later in the year or next year, assuming the economy shows signs of recovering. Even if the economy isn't really recovering, eventually they'll make another announcement if they make enough sales of current inventory. They have to do something once BLT and/or AKV get close to selling out. Think about it, they must have a new DVC resort at WDW to offer to the public at all times. This is the bread and butter of DVC, this is what lures the majority of buyers to join. I think it is a matter of when, not if, they'll add DVC to the Poly and GF. (Unforunately, I expect the points required will be at least comparable to BLT or VGC, if not even higher.)

I also think that if they're smart (and I do think they have plenty of smart people in their employ), if they ever do build the elusive 5th park, they should plan a new combination DVC and hotel within either walking distance or a short boat ride. Sort of like AKV/AKL, only a little more convenient to the entrance of the park! That would have to be timed to open with or soon after the new park, so that is probably many years off at this point.

I doubt if it will ever happen and if it does, it won't be for several years. Disney is down sizing and cutting back to stay profitable. BLT sales have been much slower than projected and they reduced several design elements at Kidani Village to make a larger profit.

I'd be interested in knowing what "design elements" you are referring to.

Considering DVD is the builder and they make their money off of buyers buying units, I doubt there would be many "major" design changes outside of those needed to meet code, aesthetics, etc (ie. the tapestry change). If Disney was building a hotel, for guest to rent rooms, I would be more apt to believe in major changes due to cost because the return on investment is much longer term then a DVC.

I believe we will see a GF and Poly DVC someday. If you look at the progression of the DVC pricing model it makes some sense. The Contemporary was the first monorail DVC. As DVC per point prices continue to climb at some point the Poly and GF will come into play. The current per point pricing makes the Poly and GF too inexpensive. Maybe when the per point DVC cost gets too $130 we may see them add DVC buildings to the other 2 monorail resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter