Anyone else have their Easter break switched next year?

Just curious, when spring break is not taken at Eastertime in your particular area, what time, if any, do Christian children have off from school in observance of the holiday? Would it be Good Friday only?
Our school district is on spring break this week, and normally takes the 3rd full week of March off every year. For Easter, they get Good Friday off and then the Monday after. The Monday after is considered a snow makeup day, so 9 times out of 10 they end up going to school that day. But they always have Good Friday off.

Just curious, when spring break is not taken at Eastertime in your particular area, what time, if any, do Christian children have off from school in observance of the holiday? Would it be Good Friday only?
As a PP noted, most of Texas always has spring break the second week of March. In our area, we'll also get Good Friday off, but it's usually a snow makeup day. We don't always have to use the makeup day, but we do his year, so no day off at Easter.

Actually, Eastertide, in western Christianity, is a 50 day season with Easter itself being an 8 day celebration. Of course, it would be impractical for Christian children to have that whole time off. But I just wanted to clarify that Easter isn't just celebrated for one day. Thank you for your reply, though.
Thanks for the random religion lesson?

You're welcome, Irish! Always glad to spread a little info! There are even Christians who think that Easter (and Christmas, for that matter) are one day observances!

Yikes if schools are really scrambling Spring breaks then I'll have to keep this in mind as one of our fav times to go is the end of April when it seems most Spring breaks are done. It's nice as a homeschooling family to get to the World when most other kiddos are in school. This is a bummer for us, but great for other families who may be able to get to the World during less busy times.

Yes, we celebrate 50 days of Easter as well as the 12 days of Christmas, and beyond to Candlemas actually...but our kids don't get the whole time off of school :-)

We're in SC, our break was always the week before Easter, 2016 it is the week after Easter. March 26-April 1

We're in MA. It looks like, for 2016, spring break for all 6 New England states will be the third week in April. I believe CT used to have a different week but it appears that next year they'll be aligned with the other New England states.

Last edited:
Our district in NW Ohio usually goes after Easter and no change next year. My kids have Thursday and Friday off before Easter and then the entire week following.

So this thread prompted me to look more closely at the 2016 calendar. It looks like Passover begins on Fri April 22nd. We are planning to be in WDW April 16th - 23rd (2016).

Does anyone know if the Passover holiday will have any effect on crowd levels for that week?

Last edited:
So this thread prompted me to look more closely at the 2016 calendar. It looks like Passover begins on Fri April 22nd. We are planning to be in WDW April 16th - 23rd (2016).

Does anyone know if the Passover holiday will have any effect on crowd levels for that week?
Passover itself won't have any effect (there just aren't enough Jews in the country to make a substantial difference), but if 6 states are really switching from before and after Easter to the third week in April, that week might see higher crowds than it has in past years.

Passover itself won't have any effect (there just aren't enough Jews in the country to make a substantial difference), but if 6 states are really switching from before and after Easter to the third week in April, that week might see higher crowds than it has in past years.

Thanks. Just to clarify, I believe the only New England state that actually moved it's Spring Break to April week 3 for 2016 is CT. I know MA always has there's that week and I'm pretty sure the same goes for Maine, VT, RI and NH. So it really only should be an addition of one New England state on break that week.

The way that might negatively effect us, though, is that we live in Central MA and not too far from the Hartford airport. We usually save a decent amount on airfare by flying out of Hartford as opposed to Boston or Providence. That likely will not be the case next next April if CT is also on school break that week.

Thanks. Just to clarify, I believe the only New England state that actually moved it's Spring Break to April week 3 for 2016 is CT. I know MA always has there's that week and I'm pretty sure the same goes for Maine, VT, RI and NH. So it really only should be an addition of one New England state on break that week.

The way that might negatively effect us, though, is that we live in Central MA and not too far from the Hartford airport. We usually save a decent amount on airfare by flying out of Hartford as opposed to Boston or Providence. That likely will not be the case next next April if CT is also on school break that week.
We are in upstate NY and all of the schools in our area are changing next year from Easter to third week of April - i believe it's because they want the kids to do the state testing before break instead of getting hit with it after they've had 10 days off. Reports of other areas doing the same thing are posted in this thread - so I do believe it will be a bit more crowded than usual, but I still don't see it coming close to Easter crowds.

Can't tell you how thrilled I was when the calendar came out and showed that our spring break, always tied to Easter, will be the last week of April in 2016. I had prepped for 6 months already to battle Easter crowds, so I didn't even NOTICE for 3 weeks! Looks like spring break will be pretty spread out with NY and New England, so YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

I'm in Dutchess County, NY, about 90 miles north of the city. Our district and the districts around us always have the week before Easter off, and it's the same next year according to the calendar.
My SIL teaches in NH and they always have the last week in April off ( she's been in the Cayman Islands all this week). Not sure if it's changed for next year.

I'm in Dutchess County, NY, about 90 miles north of the city. Our district and the districts around us always have the week before Easter off, and it's the same next year according to the calendar.
My SIL teaches in NH and they always have the last week in April off ( she's been in the Cayman Islands all this week). Not sure if it's changed for next year.

Good to know about NH. I always thought they were on the same Spring Break schedule as MA. I know their February break is the week after MA's. They must do the same for April break.

Good to know about NH. I always thought they were on the same Spring Break schedule as MA. I know their February break is the week after MA's. They must do the same for April break.
Makes sense. I never keep track of her Feb. break, I just know she's never off around Easter when my kids are. When she's back I can ask her about next year, come back and post :)

Our school district doesn't give anytime off for Easter. Spring break is always end of March and goes into the beginning of April (2 weeks).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter