• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone else have mishaps right before a cruise? DD11 just broke her wrist!

Hope she feels better soon!! here is a small upside to an uncool broken arm ... now she can have all the characters sign her cast!! I bet she will get lots of fun attention too from the CMs.

Not before a cruise, but last summer DH had a kidney stone incident right before our summer vacation... needless to say we had a very low key first half of our vacation... and I told him he wasn't allowed to have a recurrence before our winter cruise!

Another vote for the waterproof cast! DD10 fell off the monkey bars one week before summer vacation started 2 years ago. She broke her elbow in two places and it also involved the growth plate. 9 weeks, 3 different casts, she spent almost the entire summer with her arm at a 90 degree angle. I think she got more attention that summer because of her neon pink cast. The surgeon didn't offer the waterproof at first, but I asked about it. I think it was supposed to be $75 per casting, but her arm was so little he only used 1/2 of the kit so he only charged me 1/2 the price and saved the kit for the next time for her. Best money ever spent. She was in pools, our lake, the ocean, showering. And when it got itchy I could spray water down inside. Make sure to bring good sharpies for signing. The fiberglass is tough to write on and has a larger than normal open weave material. I would also suggest you ask for a sling, the cast can be heavy and being in the parks all day with your arm hanging might bother her shoulder. Good luck! :goodvibes

Check with the dr about water slides and roller coaster for jarring issues.

Had a friend whose child snuck onto their trampoline and instead of just a cast, ended up needing surgery.

Hope all goes well.

On the other, I cruised in January with cruise and a bum ankle from a fall.

This past November, my husband broke his leg ON THE PLANE on the way to MCO for our very first cruise.

1. Thank goodness we booked our flight for the night before. If it had been the day of, we would never have made the cruise.

2. Thank goodness we were concierge! They were able to cancel all of our shore excursions without us incurring a penalty for any of them and find us new boat-centered activities to do.

This past November, my husband broke his leg ON THE PLANE on the way to MCO for our very first cruise.

1. Thank goodness we booked our flight for the night before. If it had been the day of, we would never have made the cruise.

2. Thank goodness we were concierge! They were able to cancel all of our shore excursions without us incurring a penalty for any of them and find us new boat-centered activities to do.

Oh my! How does one break a leg ON A PLANE?

we were renovating the kitchen and i stepped on the claw part of a hammer. it ripped my foot open. down to emergency for a tetanus shot and stitches, which are very hard to put in and keep in a foot.
outcome--no foot in water for a week :eek:. that was two days before we were to leave.

:

Something like that happened to me right before we left for our first ever trip to Florida when I was a kid. Tampa to be specific. The same week, my younger sister fell off her bike and broke her wrist.

OT: injections right into the big toe hurt like a son of a gun!!

A month before my Mom/Sisters trip to disney world I was diagnosed with kidney stones. Was scheduled for lithotripsy (where they beat them to dust) but was told if it didn't work they would have to do surgery!! Ugh! Fortunately the lithotripsy worked and I had a wonderful time in the World. But that was a stressful few weeks.

My son broke his distal radius 2 weeks before our cruise. They put him in a waterproof cast that has a breathable nylon mesh under the cast. He was in the hot tub, pool and rode on the Aqua Duck with it. He swam in the ocean and didn't miss a beat on the cruise. He did get a few characters signatures too. When we got home from the cruise he was at the 3 week mark, so they cut it off for an
x-ray and a new fresh cast. He had collected a little sand in the mesh. His 6 weeks are finally up on Monday and the cast gets cut off. I thought the cast was going to ruin his vacation, but it worked out just fine and we have better stories because of it. :banana:

We flew into mco 2 days before the cruise January 2 2014 the cruise left on the 4th. We went to MK on the 3rd within the first 35 min I had stepped of the sidewalk turned my ankle an landed on my right knee in shorts yet. Scraped up my knee in two places the worst was right at the bend. Blood flowing ppl swarming CMs helping. Long story short pain pain. Had to cancel some excursions DCL refunded money due to accident happening at MK. Overall it was still a great cruise and was even pampered a little more because they all saw me limping because I couldn't Bend the knee.

I sure did... Five days before one of my Disney Cruises I had a bicycle accident and fractured my left clavicle. I should have received emergency surgery, however because of bad judgement by the emergency room doctor that didn't happen. After a few days with the help of friends I found a great surgeon and my surgery was scheduled for the day I was suppose to depart for my cruise (I was flying out a day early for my cruise). I didn't want to cancel my cruise (no cruise insurance purchased) plus I still wanted to go on the cruise so I went against my doctors recommendation and postponed my surgery and went on the cruise. At times I had severe pain when my bones shifted around and getting dressed was difficult but I was surprised how well vicodin and alcohol really helped get me through the pain :). Two days after I got home I finally had surgery to repair my clavicle which resulted in three plates and 11-pins. I still had a great time on my cruise and even enjoyed a few excursions but obviously it wasn't anything too adventurous.

my child broke her arm prior to her first cruise 3 years ago. we did not have a waterproof cast avaliable due to it being cast in the er department. what you need to do is contat your local newspaper and get a package of their sleaves the carriers use for putting the newspaper in when it rains and then get a bag of rubber bands. triple bag the cast and use the rubber bands to keep water out. be sure and get the large sleaves because ere are different sizes. ps dont forget to have the character sign her cast my kid was the talk of her class because of all the signatures on her cast.

John,

At the first sign, try Cold Ease, it helps me with reducing the time it lasts. That a lots of OJ.

AKK

Cold Eze doesn't agree with me, I've used it before. I did end up getting something. Down all weekend and off work today. Good news is there should be time for everyone to catch and release this before our vacation.

Freak accident. He was walking into the row of seats where he was all the way inside, near the window, when he got to the end of the row, he turned and sat down at the same time, but his foot didn't turn. it got stuck in the carpet and his knee snapped.

Freak accident. He was walking into the row of seats where he was all the way inside, near the window, when he got to the end of the row, he turned and sat down at the same time, but his foot didn't turn. it got stuck in the carpet and his knee snapped.

Did he then fly or did you guys get off the plane? This is seriously interesting to me!

Did he then fly or did you guys get off the plane? This is seriously interesting to me!

Nope, we didn't get off the plane. They had separated us at the last minute (moving our assigned seats) and he didn't even tell me it had happened until we got ready to get off the plane. I walked up to where he was seated and he told me to sit down. Then he told me he was going to need a wheelchair to get off the plane. We went straight to the ER.

My daughter, age 11, tripped on a mat at school and fell hard into a door, hitting her forehead. She got a mild concussion. That was 12 days ago. Yesterday was the very first day she didn't have constant dizziness, just had random dizziness and no headache for the first time. We sail on Saturday.

A couple of years ago I tore my ACL trying to exit the row of a plane. I stood up in my row and went to turn. My body turned, but my foot didn't. ACL tore. Freak thing. Ended up with surgery a couple months later.

We fly on the 21st and sail on the 22nd. Our friend cruising with us tore his Achilles Saturday. He is able to get into surgery Wednesday (friend if a friend deal) and we are hoping all goes well. Will be in a boot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter