Anyone else have a child graduating from high school?

constanze

DIS Veteran
Every two years, for as long as I can remember, we have booked some sort of Disney trip. My son is graduating from High School this week, and August will be our last trip to Disney World before he takes off for college. I'm so thankful we get to spend this time at DW before he leaves for college, but I can't help also feeling sad. I feel like it's the last time the four of us will be together enjoying the parks.

Fear not! We actually went again as a family before I got married. We've also been many many times together since I've been married and since having kids. I totally get feeling sad, but I don't think it will be your last trip with your son.

We went while DS was in collage. It was easier than High School as breaks are longer and vary a bit from public school. Having an adult child at WDW is really cool. We were able to spend an evening or two alone at WS while DH and little DS went on to bed.

Every two years, for as long as I can remember, we have booked some sort of Disney trip. My son is graduating from High School this week, and August will be our last trip to Disney World before he takes off for college. I'm so thankful we get to spend this time at DW before he leaves for college, but I can't help also feeling sad. I feel like it's the last time the four of us will be together enjoying the parks.
We have taken a trip every year since our son graduated from high school and he took off to visit with us. Sometimes he wasn't there the entire time, but he still got there for every trip. He was 10 hours away by car and managed to drive by himself, ride with us or bring a friend along. Worked out fine. Now he is working there (six days so far). He graduated from college eleven days ago.

Last edited:
Thank you for your kind responses, I'm so happy there's the hope of WDW after graduation!

My daughter is graduating too and we are going to WDW a few days later. I know we will go again in the future, but I feel like this is the last time she will really be a "kid."

We went just about every year while I was growing up and I remember my mom was sentimental on the last trip we took my senior year of high school. We didn't go again for a while b/c my college and graduate school breaks weren't the same weeks as their school breaks (my parents were teachers). But, never fear.... The most amazing thing is that now we are going with my boys and my parents come too and it is kind of like getting to experience it all over again in a different way. I remember when I got pregnant with my oldest son one of the first things I said to my parents was "When do you think he'll be big enough for us all to go to Disney?" I know I'll be sentimental when I'm in your shoes and I think it is only natural, but I'm sure Disney is special to your son too b/c of all the trips and I bet you all find ways to continue the magic and have more trips together. After all in many ways Disney is all about never growing up.

I have one more year before I have to worry about my DD (only child) graduating from high school. She is a big Disney fan and wants to go to WDW for her graduation next year and to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary as well. My DD assures me that when she is ready to marry that she will not marry any man that does not like Disney or is not willing to go as a family. I love this kid. :goodvibes

I have a DS graduating in 2 weeks. He went on his senior class trip to WDW in April and has now decided not to join us this summer. So, we are dropping him at college and then heading to WDW with our other 3 kids. :sad:

I have a DS graduating in 2 weeks. He went on his senior class trip to WDW in April and has now decided not to join us this summer. So, we are dropping him at college and then heading to WDW with our other 3 kids. :sad:

Oh no!!! That made me cry!

Same with us! We will be dropping our DS off at Texas A&M on August 15th and leaving for WDW August 16th...without him :sad1:. Very bittersweet.

DS last trip was right before his senior year. Once he went to college, Disney was not on his agenda. He has since graduated, and lives about 3 hours away. We have continued to go to Disney just the two of us, and with our older son and family. When we told him we were going last January, he wanted to join us for three days! We hit all the "memory rides" at HS, MK, and EPCOT. He said he had so much fun that he wants to join us for three days again when we go in October!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter