• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone Else HATE Flying???

allie5

<font color=blue>WARNING! DHL men should be cautio
We leave in 3 months and already Im panicking about the flight.

I LOATHE flying, and only endure to get to Florida, nowhere else!!

Has anyone got any tips to get over my fear??? Anyone else in the same boat??

When we get to Gatwick, the rest of the family scoff down huge English brekkies and all I want to do is "use the bathroom"...if you catch my drift.

I spend the entire flight with my hands clasping the armrests in a vice like white knuckled grip, listening for any noise which could be: the wings falling off, the engines falling off, the cabin doors imploding or eyeing up suspect passengers with ticking cases :( :( :(

Its no way to travel...HELP!

Allie.
Fully paid up member of the COWARDLY FLYING BRIGADE.

Is there any other way to fly??? I feel just the way you do if not worse. I cannot believe that anyone can feel that it is in any way shape or form a natural thing to do.

However the situation is just mildly alleviated by the constant topping up of my brandy glass while clutching my rosary beads.

My kids think I'm a fruitcake to feel like this.

What can I say - I just can't help it.

Just check out the statistics. I read somewhere that you're more likely to be kicked to death by a donkey than be killed in a flying accident.

Do you travel by car ? If you're that scared of flying, you should be petrified of driving.

LOL!! Better stand well clear of Eeyore this year then:D :D :D

Ah, yes alchohol! That always helps too.......however Virgin are particularly stingy with "free" drinks......dont they realise it is purely medicinal?? Going BA this time, so I expect a full glass from take off!

Allie

Hi Allie,

There are many posters who feel as you do and we have had many threads on this - here is one that may be of some help, and please feel free to discuss your worries, and hopefully we can try and help :

Flying

I feel almost as badly as you do and I am going on my 9th Orlando trip this coming May.

I will always have a fear of flying , particularly the take-off and landing. It just stays with you I am afraid.

I always have a couple of drinks before I board and it does help.
At the end of the day you just have to put up with it because of the great holiday that awaits.

You are not alone!

Well, since this has been declared Fluff Friday. . . .let's have:

A Funny Story about Fear of Flying::teeth:

Several years ago, a friend's daughter was about to have her first baby. Since this was my friend's first grandchild, when the baby was born, my friend screwed up all her courage and got on a flight to go and visit her daughter and her new grandaughter for a week.

The first part of the flight involved a smaller aircraft (about 20 passengers) over to the bigger airport. Ten minutes into the flight, my friend, determined to at least look cool, gazed out the window of the plane, thinking that she was doing amazingly well, and that no one would ever guess how nervous she was.

That is until the businessman sitting next to her, leaned over and said, "Excuse me, ma'am - but would you mind giving me my hand back? You're cutting off the circulation!" :teeth: Yes, my friend had apparently unknowingly grabbed this man's hand while the plane taxied down the runaway and was still holding it ten minutes later! :teeth:

To this day, we kid our friend that "at least she grabbed the man's hand!" :teeth:

Hey johnny we fly on the 9th of May to, and guess what im petrified!!!!.

White knuckle sandwich is only the start of it for me, DH's hands are bright red where I grip them soooo hard, I have my eyes shut, and must be the only person who keeps her seatbelt done up the whole journey!, have you tried not to go to the toilet for 9 hours(once im in my seat thats it LOL).

My asthma is triggered off by my fear, last time we flew poor ole DH had me on one side and a woman just as bad on the other!!!, I get through loads of tissues through crying, or rather watering eyes, just cant help it!. And food well forget it!!!, as for alcholhol Im t-total !!!!.

I always have the urge to kiss the ground on landing, and once them doors are open, let me out!!!!!!.

So your not alone!!!

Jules

Hey signtalker and all!

As much as I hate flying once I am in the air I am not actually that bad, can't say the same about the take-off and landing though.

Although we have been to Florida 9 times there have been a couple of cancellations along the way.
Thing is though there are peole who are much worse and don't actually go on holidays abroad, so despite our fears I think we do pretty well. Just don't be embarrassed about it, loads of us feel the same.

We have an autistic boy and to be honest taking him along sort of deflects my worries as we have to make sure he is alright.

Did have one bad experience when we took off from Orlando one year, one of the engines failed and we had to return to the airport. Plus a couple of delays in thunderstorms, you have to laugh really don't you (NOOOOO).

Still we make it over there don't we and I guess we must have a great time otherwise we wouldn't keep going back.

Originally posted by SidB
Just check out the statistics. I read somewhere that you're more likely to be kicked to death by a donkey than be killed in a flying accident.

Very funny! With your permission I'll use that statisitic in the future :D

Regards

Rob

Johhny our son is autisitic to, the tables seem to be turned on this occasion and he ends up being the carer!!!.

Jules

Jules - aka signtalker

This is spooky, we obviously have a lot in common.

If you see someone 'propping' up the bar on your travels it will be me trying to ease my fears!
Good luck, have a good holiday..............

I had hypnotherapy for my fear of flying and it did help a lot.

I also take Bach rescue remedy and homeopathic calc carb.

We go over about 3 times a year-so had to make sure I got it sorted out-it was so embarrassing.

Have you had a look at EFT
Emotive Freedom Therapy.

Paul McKenna endorses that. There is a website
http://www.emofree.com/

which may be able to help. It is so simple to do and costs nothing and is very effective.
Email me if you get stuck

Alison

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter