Anyone else has a DH who just doesn't 'get' WDW??

Well - We are an "older" couple. We don't have any children. I am 52, and my DH is considerably older than me. Planning for my solo, annual WDW vacation gets me through any bad stuff - at work - or whatever.

DH and I had 4 annual WDW vacations together. We are NOT vacation compatible at all. He doesn't want to vacation anywhere, at any time, because he feels like he is already on vacation because he's long retired.
I, on the other hand, am still working, and I desperately need a WDW vacation. We also have 2 pampered cats that we don't want anyone else taking care of.

It actually works out very well that I take my annual solo vacation every early December. I am now planning for my .... 6th ... annual solo trip!

DH isn't enthusiastic but tolerates it pretty well. He rolls his eyes at me from time to time, in fact, just last night he asked me why I was on the boards, considering our next trip is nothing more than a two day stopover before we get on a cruise ship, so there's *nothing* I should need to plan since we have the hotel, airline tickets and park passes already lined up. (Nothing to plan? hahahaha! :rotfl:)

I think our recent trip, he started appreciating it a bit more. He thought I was insane for totally scrapping our original itinerary and rebooking the whole trip to get the free dining, but when we were there, the tune changed.

He snarked about getting up early to go to AK, but when it hit what felt like 100 degrees in the shade by noon, he was grateful we'd hit the attractions we most wanted to see by then and could head back to Epcot to cool down. He didn't get why I was being kamikaze about having an ADR for everything, but when he saw dozens of people being turned away from LeCellier, it made sense to him.

I was good and didn't snicker when he decided he wanted to try Sci-Fi instead of counter service on our MGM day and they told him it would be over an hour before we could be seated. He wanted to try ABC Commisary next, and hightailed it out after he read the menu board. I did not gloat as I pulled out my spreadsheet and went to Backlot Express as scheduled.

I know I converted him because we were talking about some friends who were going to be going down in January who really have no plan, aren't interested in Mousesavers discounts, etc. I was proud when he made the comment, "well, if you're going to invest that much time and money in a complicated place like that, why not do your homework and maximize your experience?"

I was proud, I tell you. My sweet boy is all grown up. ;)

My husband doesn't Love it like I do :love: He'll go, but not all the time either. So, when he doesn't want to go, I go with the kids. I am planning a full out family vacation for next August. It will be our anniversary and unless he wants to spend our anniversary all by himself he'll probably go. I'm also going to get him the Richard Petty Driving Experience. I think he'll enjoy that:)
BTW, the last time he went was 2003:)

My DH doesn't get it either! We went every year for several years and now my husband doesn't really care if he goes back or not. Unfortunately my son is the same way. Luckily my mother and my daughter get it! We are planning a 2nd girls only trip for this December. The whole family went last December - the first time since 2000. I am hoping to convince DH and DS to go next year - maybe Expedition Everest will make them want to go!

My DH tolerates our trips but is not nearly as into Disney as DD (7) and I. We are going back in 21 days and leaving him at home!!! :cool1: :banana: :cool1: I am very lucky that my DD is a fanatic just like me when it comes to all things Disney. DH tells people he loves Disney but I think he only loves it once every couple of years. Before DD came along we only did the things DH wanted to do. I am so glad those days are over. :earboy2:

I am a DH, and I'm pretty sure I'm just as addicted to Disney as my wife, and we are like kids at WDW.

And a honeymoon isn't supposed to be a vacation.

And is not into walking/standing in line for rides/ or being close to other people, so I go to WDW by MYSELF! :rolleyes1 (I have a GREAT time). ;)

kilee said:
My DH tolerates it. He likes to go, but only every couple of years. I usually planned about 2 trips a year, he goes, and he's fine. I plan and he follows along.
Exactly how my DH used to be -"Disney-tolerant". Now he's a little better, but it's taken us almost 20 years of trips to work things to being better. For one thing, I've slowed down over the years. I used to really go-go-go on our trips, up and at 'em first thing every day. Besides slowing down on our trips, I've learned to love solo trips, so he only goes with me once every 3rd trip or so. And he's discovered the Disney golf courses, so he golfs there almost every day. Now he's the one up and at 'em more often than me-so he can get to his tee time! Meanwhile, I don't mind going to the parks alone, then we meet in the PM for either more parks or maybe just more vacationing. He's perfectly content to sit around the pool all afternoon. I've come to accept that a Disney Vacation is more about Vacation for him, rather than about Disney, as it is for me.

lovehoney said:
It's all about balance and compromise. My DH is not really into WDW either, but he knows I love it. That's why we are going there to celebrate our 10th anniversary. He wants me to be happy. :love2: :

I am doing all of the planning. I've made sure to have some down time. We are staying at CBR so he can relax in hammocks, see the sand and water and have drinks at the cabana bar.

It does sound like your DH enjoyed the trip or he wouldn't have purchased the APs. You will probably just have to take it a slower pace. Just go back more often! : :flower:

Congrats on your marriage.

I agree with this above!
Anyone elses spouse have a different idea on what vacation is?????
Yes. My DH is not into "Disney" stuff like myself and the kids are AND add to that he's a morning person while we're all night people. In the past we still did morning EMH but we wanted to stay up late too! He wanted to get up early and head back to the resort very early... not compatible but fortunately he got voted out (hey, 4 to 1 LOL). But we still didn't get to stay out as late as we wanted- he'd just get grouchy if we tried. Our last 2 trips me and the kids only- we did only evening EMH and slept in on the mornings afterwards- that would NEVER work with him... he'd be up at the crack of dawn and not wanting to stay up late for evening EMH.

I told him that we either need seperate vacations or to take another couple with us next time!!!!! Any advise??? The best part of it is...he upgraded our tickets to APs!!??? Go figure huh??? He actually wants to go BACK!!!! How do I cope/deal???
We need to start a support group for those with NON-ADDICTED SPOUSES !!! Got a story to share??? Or any hints???

It is a good sign that he got APs. Here is how I have dealt with the "situation":

1) Plan some trips without him. Yes, I have gone solo and now I've recently gone on two trips with just me and the kids.

2) Plan trips WITH him that are LONGER so you have more days to do things he wants to. For instance the last trip we went with him we were there 12 days. So we weren't in a massive commando situation, we had days we didn't even go into the parks and he enjoyed that trip the best of all of them. He says he isn't going again unless we can go for longer trips like that. No more 4-6 day trips for him because he KNOWS that means we'll be in the parks every day during those trips.

3) sounds like your DH might enjoy a cruise? I've planned one and DH is more excited about that than any WDW trip before. It's more up his alley I guess (inlcuding scuba diving which he enjoys, I won't be joining him on that though LOL I do NOT enjoy the idea of scuba diving with big fish and possibly sharks. Snorkeling a few times in a few places is the most I can do!) We're excited about the cruise also but honestly I'm trying to figure out a way to do the parks before or after the cruise- I'd prefer before the cruise... but we'd have to take the kids out of school a few days to do that (at the end of the year, last few days of school). So I'm flipflopping because we'd have to do parks after the cruise and I'm not sure I want to do that... I'd really prefer to do parks first THEN cruise.

4) plan other vacations to other places he'd enjoy so it's like a trade off- we'll enjoy what he likes to do on some vacations but that means he has to "deal" (and not be grouchy either! LOL) with our WDW trips.
:earboy2:

Disneynutbsv said:
My husband doesn't Love it like I do :love: He'll go, but not all the time either. So, when he doesn't want to go, I go with the kids. I am planning a full out family vacation for next August. It will be our anniversary and unless he wants to spend our anniversary all by himself he'll probably go. I'm also going to get him the Richard Petty Driving Experience. I think he'll enjoy that:)
BTW, the last time he went was 2003:)

Ditto! Even the last sentence about last time he went was in 2003. LOL

My DH doesn't get it, nor will he ever attempt to get it. He may go in 2006 with the boys and I, but ONLY if we stay in the Wilderness Cabins, and he gets to fish and golf while we do the parks. Fun, huh? Yet he was so offended when I didn't ask him to go on the trip we had been planning earlier this year. That, I don't get.

Fortunately I was able to find someone who's as crazy about Disney as I am. I was worried when we took our first trip a few years ago. He had never been, and really only agreed to go because it was what I wanted. Turns out he loves it and we've gone back almost every year since.

The funny thing is, I think it will be the only vacation spot we will ever be able to agree on (fine with me!) Disney feeds my need for sunshine and time to relax as well as his need to be constantly occupied.

We're already planning our trip for next year :banana:

My DH is kind of going backwards......when we first met, we were both totally into Disney. He grew up 15 minutes from Disneyland, and I wasn't much farther than that, so we both had alot of Disney in our childhood.

He proposed to me on the Matterhorn. :love:

And when it came time to plan our honeymoon, there was no question about where to go, because we could only think of one place. The next two trips he was really into the planning and we were like two kids in a candy store.

Now we have been married 18 yrs and my DH has totally mellowed out about Disney. He still loves Disney, but he's not into taking frequent trips (to us, every 2 years is frequent) anymore.

For this trip and the last one, I did all the planning (which I LOVE to do!) . All he wants to know is when we need to be at the airport.

Our DD (11), who I love more than anything on this planet, doesn't get all that excited about it either.

But when we get there, we always have alot of fun and everyone enjoys themselves. Well, I go nuts with joy every second we are there, and my DH and DD enjoy themselves...

But I have this feeling that this Dec will be the last trip we take to WDW for a very long time.

So, I'm going to just let DH and DD sleep in and ride the water sprites every morning, which they always want to do. And I'm going to go park hopping!! :dancer:

Can't wait!!! :goodvibes

I can sympathize with you. My husband is terrific in every way I could have hoped with one big exception. He has been to WDW, ridden the attractions once and sees no reason to do them again. The only thing that gets him down there now are the grandkids as he would go anywhere to be with them.

I love WDW and decided years ago that just because I was married didn't mean that I had to give up things I loved. After all, he can play the same golf course over and over and over again. Now I go with friends, sisters and my niece, grandkids--whoever wants to go. Believe me, there are plenty of people who love to go and its alot more fun going with them than worrying the whole time if he is having a good time. Or walking around by yourself because he is on the golf course for the fourth day in a row.

The first year of marriage is always the toughest. It isn't a storybook, it is real life and along with that comes give and take. We've been married forever even though I wasn't sure I'd get through the first year. I love him more every day and I miss him soooo much when I'm at WDW. But not so much that I'd stay home and miss the happiest place on earth.

My DH acts like he doesn't like WDW, but when we get there he is all WDW commando! :rotfl: We are up at the crack of dawn to get to the park. Then after the trip he says he doesn't want to go again because it is too much work! Well if you slow down and enjoy the magic maybe you would enjoy it more :rotfl2: I love him anyway though. Oh on a side note, the man that doesn't like WDW in awful jealous that we are going while he is in Iraq. I'm not doing it to be mean, I have to visit my parents and they are in FL so why not?

I can see where he's coming from. I take vacations with my parents every year that just basically include staying at house on the beach for 2 weeks, and doing just about nothing(except for fishing, boating, and taking out our jet skis). Just sit where the water barely reaches the sand so it goes up on your toes, and the sound of the breaking waves is just so relaxing. It's easy to get lost in your own little world for me at the beach.

On the other hand, there are vacations where I like to actually do things as well, such as ones to WDW. Different strokes for different folks. My parents prefer beach vacations in the tropics because they live near one of the largest cities in the world, so the last thing they would ever want to see on a vacation, is another city (or busy place like WDW, there are some exceptions every couple of years).

Oh I forgot to add (on the point of making the WDW trip have things included that DH enjoys) for yours it might be the beach and/or pool -but for instance our next extended (per DH's request) family trip will most likely be driving (yuck, I'm so not looking forward to that again- I prefer to fly now!) and taking the travel trailer and staying at FW. And he'll want to do fishing and things there at FW as opposed to parks every day. Well WE might still do parks every day...... LOL

My DH of 14 years and I went to WDW on our honeymoon. He likes going well enough, but still doesn't get all the crazy planning I do before a trip. I think he still compares it to our honeymoon, before we had children and it wasn't necessary to make ADRs so far in advance (mainly because we couldn't afford much more than counter service back then).

Once we get there, he definitely appreciates that everything has been taken care of, and we get to do the things we want to because it's already been arranged in advance.

Occasionally he gets on my case because I've been spending too much time online doing "research" ;) , but I only do it in spurts, like when it's time to book a room, then 90 days out when it's time to make ADRs, and when hours come out and I need to put the finishing touches on things. After that (and in between planning "phases") I kind of keep quiet about it.

My husband truly dislikes WDW but the kids and I really enjoy it so he goes along. We are lucky enought o be able to stay Poly LVC so that takes the edge off for him but he really only just tolerates it. We lived in Europe before we had children and would spend many a long weekend flying down to Naples and taking the hydrofoil over to Capri or golfing up in Evian, France and we often took the children when they were younger to Europe. Lately we've been to the Caribbean and WDW and my husband is bored silly. He would like to go bareboating in Greece or return to Europe.

Well, he finally put his foot down in August when our son asked to go to "Italy". My husband explained that Italy is a country in Europe and Epcot is NOT part of Europe despite what it says on the Epcot map. So, I guess we're off to Europe for a while but I'll sure miss Disney. Threehearts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter