• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone else getting wanderlust during this extended lockdown?

I'm doing the same, going through pictures and videos of our trip to South Africa over Christmas/New Years. While I have the time I'm gathering photos to create a nice photo album of the trip. Was planning to do Hawaii and a Southern Caribbean Cruise this year but those are definitely on hold. Hopefully next year we can do them, although I fell in love with South Africa and was going to try to go back in March of next year, so we'll see what happens with that.

I'm doing the same, going through pictures and videos of our trip to South Africa over Christmas/New Years. While I have the time I'm gathering photos to create a nice photo album of the trip. Was planning to do Hawaii and a Southern Caribbean Cruise this year but those are definitely on hold. Hopefully next year we can do them, although I fell in love with South Africa and was going to try to go back in March of next year, so we'll see what happens with that.
I would love to hear about your South Africa trip!!! How long were you there; where did you stay; what did you see? I would also love to go back. It was an amazing experience!!!

When all of this is said and done and it is safe to travel, my DD and I are going to Poland. I've wanted to go there forever and September was supposed to be when we would go. I can't see myself feeling safe to travel then, based on what is going on now. We shall see.

I don't do tours, so all I need is a flight and hotel room and we can be on our way... as long as she is between quarters at Drexel.

I was going to take 2 of my nephews to Washington, DC in June, but that is canceled for now. Since I've been watching Molly's videos on YouTube from allearsnet, I have the Disney bug biting at me. I may take them to Disney instead of Washington when we can go.

We are planning Cabo for December and Hawaii for next April, along with at least a couple road trips for the summer.

When all of this is said and done and it is safe to travel, my DD and I are going to Poland. I've wanted to go there forever and September was supposed to be when we would go. I can't see myself feeling safe to travel then, based on what is going on now. We shall see.

I don't do tours, so all I need is a flight and hotel room and we can be on our way... as long as she is between quarters at Drexel.

I was going to take 2 of my nephews to Washington, DC in June, but that is canceled for now. Since I've been watching Molly's videos on YouTube from allearsnet, I have the Disney bug biting at me. I may take them to Disney instead of Washington when we can go.
Poland is one of our favorite vacation spots. It's beautiful, inexpensive and the people are great!

Don't give up yet. We are holding on to our trips until the last minute.

YES. It comes and goes. I was doing pretty well, but then somebody had to go post a thread about Yellowstone, which is one of my top 10 favorite parks!

Zion gets pretty busy. I'd look at Bryce. It's at a higher elevation, and you go during the summer. It's also less busy. You can hit the major trails over an extended weekend. I'm hoping the parks open. I'm still planning to go to Glacier in August.
All three of those parks are beautiful. Also if you go to Zion, the North Rim of the Grand Canyon is not that far away...less than 3 hours, with much of that through Grand Staircase Escalante and Vermillion Cliffs National Monuments.

The North Rim is one of NPS's best kept secrets. Think South Rim without people.

Poland is one of our favorite vacation spots. It's beautiful, inexpensive and the people are great!

Don't give up yet. We are holding on to our trips until the last minute.
I can go in an instant. Easy to get time off in my job. It’s my daughter’s schedule that is harder because Drexel does quarters instead of semesters. She only gets a week or two off between them.

Just the opposite. I am making no plans at this time. Who knows what is going to happen and may need to get relocate out of my insane state .

I'm in the "having trouble even thinking about traveling" group. I'm supposed to be knee deep in planning our 30th anniversary trip but am still in a bit of shock over our cancelled getaway in March. I'm thinking it will be a 31st or 32nd anniversary trip instead. I don't want to plan another trip that might be cancelled. I know that doesn't really make sense, because really any trip could be cancelled - but this one just feels too tenuous and the whole thing is too raw.

All three of those parks are beautiful. Also if you go to Zion, the North Rim of the Grand Canyon is not that far away...less than 3 hours, with much of that through Grand Staircase Escalante and Vermillion Cliffs National Monuments.

The North Rim is one of NPS's best kept secrets. Think South Rim without people.

I camped out on the north rim. It’s a beautiful campsite with nice showers. And the trails around are not that crowded. And the hike down is nice. But you better be in good shape. Lots of elevation gain to come back up the north rim.

Just the opposite. I am making no plans at this time. Who knows what is going to happen and may need to get relocate out of my insane state .
I'm in the "having trouble even thinking about traveling" group. I'm supposed to be knee deep in planning our 30th anniversary trip but am still in a bit of shock over our cancelled getaway in March. I'm thinking it will be a 31st or 32nd anniversary trip instead. I don't want to plan another trip that might be cancelled. I know that doesn't really make sense, because really any trip could be cancelled - but this one just feels too tenuous and the whole thing is too raw.
I guess I'm used to planning waaaaaaay in advance and not being sure when/if a trip will actually happen, so that doesn't bother me at all. I planned our London/South Africa Safari trip for years - literally. I had to research, build an itinerary and then save up the money. The money saving part took me two years longer than expected because I had two kids in college and some other unplanned expenses. But it did finally happen. That's the way bucket list trips happen in my family - I plan for them, save for them and then book them.

I camped out on the north rim. It’s a beautiful campsite with nice showers. And the trails around are not that crowded. And the hike down is nice. But you better be in good shape. Lots of elevation gain to come back up the north rim.
I was making reservations once for a short trip after a conference in Las Vegas -- Zion, Bryce, North Rim.

The young lady at Xanterra (I think) said, "Hey, can you juggle a little -- like switch days between parks?" I asked why and she said there was a rim-side cabin available at North Rim if we could switch days. I asked what "rim-side" meant, and she said, "Rim-SIDE...ON the rim!" I said sure and we booked it.

Our cabin was the first one on the path from the North Rim Lodge. You know how wide a "path" is? Like 3 feet max.

There was our front porch, a 3-foot wide path, and about an 800 foot drop into the abyss! :scared1: It was amazing.

On the elevation gain, you're only looking at half the equation. Depending on how far down you hike, the hike back up is the same elevation change. Therefore, net-net is zero. No problem, lol.

Once things clear up, we want to go visit DD#1 in Nebraska and DD#2 where ever they end up with their military move (or they can come here, either way works). We'd like to do some camping in the late fall/winter (FL time); it's been awhile since we've been able to go.

There's a great Grand Canyon documentary on Disney+ of a couple of journalists hiking through the base of the Grand Canyon. Really beautifully shot.

I have bad wanderlust under normal conditions. I have been proud at myself for how well I have been handling the "no traveling" thing so far. I had visited my Dad (and WDW) for 2 weeks each, in November, December and February so that will have to tide me over.

One of our next trips was probably going to be Kauai and a return to Maui. Of all the places we could have chosen, the Hawaiian islands are near the top of the places I would feel comfortable going first. I don't know when that might be, or when Hawaii will loosen their restrictions, but it doesn't seem so much of an impossibility right now as our other intended trip. We were going to go back to Tokyo Disneyland in October with my 73-year old father. I really don't have a clue when that could possibly happen. Or if it will happen. DH and I will go someday, but my Dad, at his age, who knows.

Wanderlust is a way of life for me but right now I'm just not feeling it.

We're going to head up north to our family's property some time soon to give my daughters some quiet and space to work uninterrupted, since the governor just lifted the ban on that. But the rest? I have so little confidence in if/when the next few trips we have in the works will be able to happen that I've all but lost interest. There's just no joy in making plans that are probably going to end up in the circular file.

We were supposed to be in Japan this summer, then postponed to 2021 to avoid the Olympics. Now the Olympics are in 2021 so we'll have to decide whether to postpone again... but I think there's a real possibility most international borders will still be closed to tourism next summer, so I'm not even pondering that right now. Our plan B for this summer - Maine/Vermont/New Hampshire and Quebec - is just as impossible because it also involves crossing borders. My husband has an out-of-state job offer but we can't even go scout the towns in the area until lockdowns in about six states (between here and there) are eased. And DD18 is still weighing whether or not to return to school in the fall, since it is looking like the semester will be online only and she's struggling this semester with that, so the smaller trips I had planned - fall break in San Francisco, spring break at Disneyland with her and a couple of her friends - are probably out the window too.

I guess I'll start thinking about travel again when I have some faith that we'll be actually be able to do it. Until then, it only makes being locked in the house feel more confining.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter