Anyone else get a check like this?

pth

incurable collector
Today in the mail, I opened up a letter and found a check for $2994.50 from Eastwest United Group Inc from a lottery drawing I supposedly signed up for called the Mega 2000 drawn in London England.

One of the paragraphs that make me very suspicious says:
"A sponsor's check of $2994.50 is enclosed to assist you finance your international clearance fees of $2844. Your clearance fees should be forwarded to our designated North American agen. However, you will receive a total of $130,000 minus $4290 (3.3% sponsor's commission). Invariably, you will receive a total of $125,710. Your agent will give you further details. In order to avoid double claiming or unwaranted taking advantage of this program by participants and the public, we therefore strongly advise that you keep this award highly confindential as part of our security protocol until your winning has been processed and money remitted to you."

It looks like a legit check, but I'm going to do some due dilligence and look this place up. I'm sure it's some scam.
Just wanted to know if anyone else got this same thing.

I just looked up this Eastwest United Group, inc. and found it is a chemical company who specializes in food additives and teas. I thought for the fun of it I would call them up and ask them why they are sending me a check for a lottery.

yup. I received one similar last week. It was a check for over $2860 and it does look very real. The letter was the same idea...I won a sweepstakes sponsered by LOTTO, Readers Digest, Publishers Clearing House. The letter was the same premise as yours...

"It is our duty to inform you for the existence of Internation Law guiding the fair personal collection of cash prizes. It stipulates that a winner pays a processing fee before his/her funds are released. The same law also prevents you from paying the fees out of your personal pocket. .....
Your funds are now deposited with us and insured under your name. Please find enclosed a check for $2860.00 cashable only by you. You will be advised by your claims agent on how mych to withdraw and send to the Processing Office to finalize the payment of your winnings".....etc...

My check is from Cadence Capital Management in Boston, MA.

It sounds too strange and there is NO way I am doing anything with that check. :sad2: :sad2:

It is sad that people actually fall for it and start western unioning money around. Many elderly people fall for it...remember that I think her name was Mary Winkler who murdered her pastor husband?? They say she was involved in one of these scams!

"we therefore strongly advise that you keep this award highly confindential as part of our security protocol until your winning has been processed and money remitted to you."

Clever addition on their part.

But no, scam.

I asked around here what would happen if you just deposited it without sending anything anywhere, and someone reminded me (I must have been having a brainfree day) that they very likely get the checks back (with my bank I'd have topay for that service, but if I were a scammer I certainly would do so) and therefore would then have your signature and bank account info...:sad2:

The check is a forgery, but if you want to make the people mad, copy it, send the copy back to them tell them that you have cashed it and are keeping all the money. Because no ligit contest makes you pay anything up front.

This tyoe of scam is all over the news and 60 minutes and the web, but people still fall for it.

Remember, if it seems to good to be true, it probably is.

You may also want to refer it to your state's AG or the FBI or both.

It can look like a legit check but it will bounce. There is probably no money in that account.

The whole thing stunk of fraud right from when I saw the envelope. First, the return address was rubber stamped on. You could tell that my address label was part of a mailing. The next wierd thing was that the company issuing the check was different from the sweepstakes company name. I googled the company issuing the check and emailed them asking them why they would send me a check for a sweepstakes held in England. The first email address they had listed came back as no such address. The second email address I used so far hasn't been answered.
I haven't googled the sponsor listed in the letter "Kingsway Corp" yet.
As the post made earlier, I think I may have a bit of fun messing with these people. Just a bit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter