Anyone else get “scammed” by the State department?

Something else I thought of... IF they would have said "4 to 11 weeks" for normal processing, would you have gotten the non-expedited? IMO, it doesn't matter what their "best case" possibility is, but the "worst case". And just because someone got delivery earlier than the worst case doesn't mean the worst case can't happen.

I'm mystified that people don't keep better track of passport renewals. DD18 just got hers renewed--it only took a few weeks (3-4, I think?), due to an upcoming trip in May. Kids need new passports every 5 years. We know DS15 will need a new one before he goes to South Korea next year. The good news: he'll get a 10-year renewal next time. The bad: both parents will still have to be present, since he'll still be a minor. We're fortunate that our local college has a passport office, right next to their post office, so they'll do everything right there, and it's easy for both of us to take him there to apply.

P.S. I don't think the OP got scammed. Government agencies all have bad reputations--usually, for good reason.

The biggest issue is that the backlog is different depending on which passport office is issuing the passports. However, the quoted times are generally worst case nationally and are trying to cover everyone. If you go to a passport acceptance facility, you have no choice over which passport office handles it the place will be assigned to a specific office. But I guess if people knew about which offices had shorter wait times, they might try to go to a specific office and create bigger backlogs there.

The only thing that's that's more or less uniform is the mail-in renewals as they're handled by a central issuer (or maybe two). I know there are two mailing addresses now (based on the state of the return address) but I'm not sure they don't just send it out to a central location for printing.

So renewals are done at a different office than new applications (child passports)?
Also, I don’t know if the OP forgot that child passports are 5 years not 10, so it might not have crossed their mind to check.

Now, if I do my math correctly, and you found out in the beginning of December that your DD's passport would expire in May, that still leaves you 16 weeks (about) before you needed it. 4 weeks in December, 4 in January, February, and March = 16 weeks.

And,

"Every indication" = a post on a website. Whereas there are multiple message boards you can check to ask what "real" results people are getting. The same evidence you see that it's only taking a few weeks was available to you in December also.

And no, it's not a "scam". Is it better say "it will take 4-11 weeks for normal processing"? Or maybe they could just say "up to 11 weeks"?
Unfortunately while it expires in May, we have a cruise the first week in April, and another in June, You’re correct - we had 16 weeks, but I didn’t know what impact Christmas and New Years would have on the time, so I wasn’t taking any chances. (for some reason I was thinking 12 weeks - I guess it was panic - haven’t ever been “surprised” by a passport expiration date in 30 years of international travel).

I should have checked on other boards. I don’t really frequent any other travel boards, so hard to know what’s good info vs ok info. So I went with the official version. Guess I just got in the fast checkout lane (for a change)!

Last edited:

My twins applied together this past summer, one regular, one expedited, both arrived around 8 weeks in the same day.

So renewals are done at a different office than new applications (child passports)?
Also, I don’t know if the OP forgot that child passports are 5 years not 10, so it might not have crossed their mind to check.

Yes, never knew child passports are only good for 5 years - our (only) daughter just turned 5, so first time expiration and renewal. Makes sense why the cycle is shorter, but never had a reason to think about it.

And since we’d gone from 2-3 international trips per year, to 0 trips of any kind, while we normally check expiration every few months, we suddenly haven’t touched our passports in ages. Normally we would have known it was expiring well in advance, but suddenly, we haven’t looked at our passport for over a year. (is it just me, or has this whole time during the pandemic been a blur?). It’s another of those little adjustments in life to get used to.

My twins applied together this past summer, one regular, one expedited, both arrived around 8 weeks in the same day.

Thanks for that info mjkacmom! Did you do that as an experiment?

So same service, even though you paid the upgrade…. And some people don’t understand why I have concerns! 🙄

C’mon guys - if Disney posted 1 hour wait times, and offered Genie+ in the park, and then everyone found out the wait was actually 20 minutes (and exactly the same time as G+ line), everyone would be in an uproar! :rotfl2:

Sorry for anyone who’s taking this too seriously. I really don’t think it’s a scam. It’s not a big deal to me - we got the passport by the time we needed it, and an extra $60 isn’t really significant for me. But I do think it’s worth bringing up, and maybe making people aware of.

I honestly thought the theme was going to be that you paid for expedited and didn’t get it in time. I am just glad that was not the case.

My experience with anything government related is if you aren’t in a hurry, it comes early, and if you are in a hurry, it comes late. And if there is a way to get you to pay extra, they will.

Thanks for that info mjkacmom! Did you do that as an experiment?

So same service, even though you paid the upgrade…. And some people don’t understand why I have concerns! 🙄

C’mon guys - if Disney posted 1 hour wait times, and offered Genie+ in the park, and then everyone found out the wait was actually 20 minutes (and exactly the same time as G+ line), everyone would be in an uproar! :rotfl2:

Sorry for anyone who’s taking this too seriously. I really don’t think it’s a scam. It’s not a big deal to me - we got the passport by the time we needed it, and an extra $60 isn’t really significant for me. But I do think it’s worth bringing up, and maybe making people aware of.
Lol no, my daughter was at first planning on going to Mexico for spring break, but the trip was moved to Florida due to covid concerns. I had already filled out their applications and wrote checks, completely forgetting I had planned on expediting hers (good thing the trip was changed, the passport would not have gotten here in time). All of us with expired passports got them renewed just because of how long it was taking.

We applied for our Passports in May and they came in August - they were right at 11-12 weeks. I did not pay for expedited because our trip wasn't until November.

C’mon guys - if Disney posted 1 hour wait times, and offered Genie+ in the park, and then everyone found out the wait was actually 20 minutes (and exactly the same time as G+ line), everyone would be in an uproar!
Maybe, but I think you're looking at it wrong. At any given time, that wait could be 1 hour. Just because it's 20 minutes at 3:40 (for example), by the time you show up at 4, it could be an hour. Same with passports. Sure, non-expedited could take 4-5 weeks. OR it could take 11. If the government would have said "4-11 weeks", what would you have done? Would you still have paid the extra money?

I think you need to look at the WORST case and decide from there. If I had a trip in 12 weeks and didn't have passports, yes, I would pay for expedited. BUT, if I had a trip in 16 weeks, I don't think I would have.

Depends. There's a specific mail-in renewal process that's only available for adult passport renewals where the previous passport was issued less than 15 years ago and some other requirements. That saves on the passport acceptance fee - the facility charge. But if someone insists on paying that fee, one can still renew in person.

Renew%20By%20Mail%20Infographic_TSG.svg

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/have-passport/renew.html

But a child passport has to be done in person and theoretically both legal parents have to be present at the same time, although there's some waiver document allowing just one parent to be present. When our child got a passport it was a pain because I was working a contract job somewhere else and mostly came back on weekends, and that place that did it on Saturdays without appointments was really nice.

I was under the impression that if one went to a "passport acceptance facility" (like a post office or city clerk's office) that they went to a specified regional passport agency (like San Francisco or New York City) to be processed and printed. But of course these days someone just scans the photo and I guess if there's a backlog they can now just send it electronically to a different passport agency office.

Previous passports would state the specific location where they were issued. My first renewal (by mail) just said National Passport Center (I think that's in New Hampshire?). But all current US passports just say they were issued by the State Department.

I don't know if they're still doing it, but I do remember when some passport agency offices had special "passport days" where they would allow walk-ins, processed routine applications, and they didn't charge the acceptance fee. Usually on a Saturday too. All I can find here was that the last one in San Francisco was in 2017.

Yes, never knew child passports are only good for 5 years - our (only) daughter just turned 5, so first time expiration and renewal. Makes sense why the cycle is shorter, but never had a reason to think about it.
I was going to comment on that earlier but forgot to add it. If you're 16 and older you can get a 10 year one, under 16 it's a 5 year one this has been the case for a long time. I actually ran into this issue when I was 15. Back then for cruises you only needed a certified copy of a birth certificate and a government issued ID. I got my learner's permit for that reason and it made zero sense to get a passport at that time since the cost difference wasn't too too much and it would only be good for 5 years. Less than 5 months after going on that cruise I would have turned 16. These days you for the most part need that passport so it kinda sucks for those right on that age cusp.

I’m a Service Manager for my company, and our departmental mantra has always been Underpromise and Overdeliver. I’ll always err on the side of caution, and when we can accomplish something sooner, we look better to the customer. Same type of scenario here

I'm mystified that people don't keep better track of passport renewals. DD18 just got hers renewed--it only took a few weeks (3-4, I think?), due to an upcoming trip in May. Kids need new passports every 5 years. We know DS15 will need a new one before he goes to South Korea next year. The good news: he'll get a 10-year renewal next time. The bad: both parents will still have to be present, since he'll still be a minor. We're fortunate that our local college has a passport office, right next to their post office, so they'll do everything right there, and it's easy for both of us to take him there to apply.

P.S. I don't think the OP got scammed. Government agencies all have bad reputations--usually, for good reason.
We “renewed” DD16 passport in August this year. Both of us parents were not required to be at the appointment, so it was just her and me.

Under promise and over deliver.

I'd be pleased as punch I have a new passport in hand for her. Murphy's Law that you didn't expedite it and it took the length posted on the website after all.

I’m a Service Manager for my company, and our departmental mantra has always been Underpromise and Overdeliver. I’ll always err on the side of caution, and when we can accomplish something sooner, we look better to the customer. Same type of scenario here

But underpromise / overdeliver within reason. Generally, If you constantly do things in half the time you promise, you’re no longer “exceeding expectations”, you’re “sandbagging”.

And if you tell your customers they have to pay extra to get something done in a certain amount of time, and then you get it done in half that amount of time, I’m not so sure you’d look better to your customers.

When I was managing customer service vendors for the best known software company in the world, predictability of support was always the most critical item. “Do what you say, and say what you do” was the most critical driver to overall CSAT.

We “renewed” DD16 passport in August this year. Both of us parents were not required to be at the appointment, so it was just her and me.
Pretty sure once someone turns 16, parents are no longer required. 15 and under, both parents are required (or have the waiver) and passports are only good for 5 years.

But underpromise / overdeliver within reason. Generally, If you constantly do things in half the time you promise, you’re no longer “exceeding expectations”, you’re “sandbagging”.

And if you tell your customers they have to pay extra to get something done in a certain amount of time, and then you get it done in half that amount of time, I’m not so sure you’d look better to your customers.

When I was managing customer service vendors for the best known software company in the world, predictability of support was always the most critical item. “Do what you say, and say what you do” was the most critical driver to overall CSAT.
Again, there's a range of possibilities. And you still haven't answered my question... if they would have told you estimated delivery was 4-11 weeks for non expedited, would you have paid the extra money? Why?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter