Anyone else frustrated?.........

JohnnySharp2

No man stands as tall as when he stoops to help a
...........with the price of holidays to Florida these days.

I know you can cut corners on in-direct flights and save £££ here and there but with Joshua's needs in mind we really have to look at direct flights and Premium Economy, for his health reasons.

Miles & money for next August comes in at £3244 or so just for flights only, car rental with usrentacar for a minivan is currently £561 - was £350 for this April's holiday.
A fly-drive with Virgin Holidays comes in at £5057.
PE adds about £1770 to the cost so that's one of the obvious reasons.
Adding say villa around a £1000 spending money, etc etc - cost is just getting crazy.

We love Florida and have been fortuntate to go many times, and whilst we can afford to go it is just getting to the stage now where it's far more than I want to pay...anyone else feel the same?
I am not asking for cost cutting ideas, just assuming many others are in the same situation, especially being restricted to summer holidays.

I know where you are coming from, for obvious reasons.

I think the big problem for you, which you doubtless know is having to travel in the school holidays.

This summer I am gambling on taking Daniel in Economy with Virgin and praying that they come up trumps with acceptable seating via special assistance for us. No way can I afford another £1600 for PE.

I have got flights to MCO for the four of us at £1000 and 14 nights in a kids suite at the HRH for £950 so have kept the price down this year.

im looking now at Next august first time being tied to the holidays, now kids are getting bigger, and i cant believe the cost these days, i remember getting flights for 1200£, of course the sheer number of us doesnt help now.
i try not to add it all up (and definatly not around hubby) or it makes me think OMG!!!

How did you get miles plus money for next august???? its only showing up to july for me?

I know we are flying nxt October with First Chjoice premium economy, just the 3 of us flights only cost a whopping £3000 but fortunatly for us got vouchers with promotion through work to help pay for it or it would have been economy . That is £600 more than 4 of us flying out this yr premium economy TCook.
So definatly more expensive nxt yr.

How did you get miles plus money for next august???? its only showing up to july for me?

Yes sorry that's a slight error and assumption on my part, I can only see July also I just assume prices will be similar for August.

I guess we've had it too good for too long. It's always amazed me that airlines can afford to carry passengers on a 9000 mile round trip for a couple of hundred pounds (which is all they see once you deduct the taxes). The problem is, they clearly can't afford to and, if it's a case of stomaching the increased costs or watching another go out of business, there's really little choice. I do think the cutbacks in UC which Obi mentions in another thread are appalling, though. Why should UC passengers go on subsidising everyone else if all the perks and niceties are gradually being eroded?

I know what you're saying, though, Johnny. Florida's never been a cheap holiday by the time you've factored everything in, but at least you could always say it was good value for money. Prices are definitely in the "think twice" category now.

I know where you are coming from, for obvious reasons.

I think the big problem for you, which you doubtless know is having to travel in the school holidays.

This summer I am gambling on taking Daniel in Economy with Virgin and praying that they come up trumps with acceptable seating via special assistance for us. No way can I afford another £1600 for PE.

I have got flights to MCO for the four of us at £1000 and 14 nights in a kids suite at the HRH for £950 so have kept the price down this year.

The added complication for us is Julie is a teacher. Though she could be working for an agency soon she wouldn't get paid if she took time away from that - Joshua taking time out of school is actually straight-forward as he goes to a special needs centre.
However, 6 weeks off is still the logical time to go in the summer, would be daft say taking Josh out of school say late May or early June, he would only be back for a few weeks before he was off for 6 more. :)

It's the whole package also, as all of you know, not just the flights/fly-drive - accomodation, spending money and more, we are lucky and can afford to go but when it's getting to £6000 or even more, it's just crazy money.

Prices are definitely in the "think twice" category now.

yes that just about sums it up Deb.

Just looked back on some our previous invoices and we could just about squeeze 2 holidays for the cost of one these days.

To think I planned a few nights at the Grand Floridian also. :rolleyes:

I have noticed an increase on prices this year for September too, last year when I looked at this time they were loads of good deals, I guess I am lucky though as I don't have to pay out for a family as just have me and DD to pay for.

Yes, we are in the same boat, want to go August next year but will only pay up to £500 pp for a direct flight or less if indirect. If we can get flights for that price we will go, if not we wont. I think that Virgin are really pricing themselves out at the moment unless they have a decent sale.

Am not pricing too much up at the moment (apart from dis with free ddp) until I know flight prices. For the first time ever (and we have been quite a few times) I am even thinking about getting a car for just part of the holiday, particularly if the price you quote Johnny, is anything to go by.

Heres waiting for a Virgin sale :scared1:

We priced up our holiday we had this year compared to next year and it was ALOT dearer especially with the extra surcharges/taxes.
We are having a years break from Florida now.
I definately think people are now realising all that money can go towards something else,like things we really need..House renovations/cars etc.
I'll always love Disney though and will always save to go back but with alot more planning and saving..when you are a family and tied to date's the prices are shocking.:scared1:

Totally understand where you are coming from Johnny.

We are looking at going again next Feb and I am currently monitoring VA prices and debating over dates but even if I manage to use some miles we are still looking at around £3k for flights in PE, we flew UC in 2008 for a little more than this amount :sad2:. DH is still trying to twist my arm to go UC (around 6k) and even though we can afford it, I simply cannot justify the costs.

I think part of our problem is, is that because we book DIY it is very easy to justify a villa at £2k and then flights at £3k, then at a later date park tickets at x amount, then £500 for car hire and then finally our spends and because these are all 'booked' at separate times it's easy to justify each single amount but if I were to tot it all up and it came to £8k, I'd not book :lmao:

I guess I just stick my head in the sand and pretend to lose track of the spending as we love Florida so much......

I am really hoping for some kind of VA sale although there don't seem to ever be many flights from Manchester included :confused3 perhaps I am just too slow and miss out on them....

So I am off to stick my head back in the sand and look at booking for Feb 2010 :rotfl:

Ali :goodvibes

I booked on the 29th August last year for this October on a Virgin Holidays fly drive. This is the day (or day after) they did the VAA flight adjustment bringing the price down £738 for the 4of us.

Thanks for the replies.

In a way I can't grumble, we have been very lucky to have been so many times whilst others cannot, I guess we are just trying to make the most of
Joshua's early years really - with his non verbal autism the future is cloudy to say the least.

Naturally flying PE is part of the problem, and whilst it's difficult to explain it really is a must have for Josh's comfort on the long flights.

Anyway we haven't decided what we are doing so still plenty of time & thinking to do. We may go, but we may not. :)

As Ali says it's not just the flight it's the villa booking, spending money all that comes with a Florida holiday really.

Its crazy but when you add together all the costs of our Disney fixes it is quite shocking, But it's been totally worth it. We could easily afford another trip but I think the amount spent on ONE holiday as gotten ridiculous especially when we want other things too...can you justify £8k on a 3 week holiday?

For every Penny spent,it was worth it just seeing my childrens smiles,I guess we are all lucky in the fact we have been,and many other's cannot go for numerous reasons.

You will have to hold out,hopefully there will be some good sales to be had.:thumbsup2

I'm with you all on this one.

My previous trips were just two adults, going in September, so avoiding the crowds and peak times. I can't remember exactly, but I doubt we spent more than £2.5k on two weeks... Still an awful lot for a holiday.

However, this time, with it being 4 years since I've been, the price increases in that time, and now going with two adults and two kids, in the school holidays, the price seems exorbitant! More than double what I've ever spent before. I think I'll probably mean it this time when I say it's a one off... Unless we can save for a few years it's unlikely to happen again. Well with the four of us anyway.

We too need to save for other things... landscaping, a kitchen... so many other things that the money would go a LONG way with, but I'm SO reluctant to pass up this opportunity. WDW makes me so happy, and I'm hoping it has the same effect on the other 3, who haven't been before. If it doesn't... then I know for sure it won't happen again soon.

We all have our vices I guess... and WDW is mine! :lmao:

I am completely with you on the frustratingly high prices for next year.

I rationalise my spending like this.

1. It is my hobby as well as a family holiday.
2. We do not regularly go out for meals or clubbing, the money saved makes a big holiday more affordable.
3. My daughter will only be young once and the memories we are making a really priceless (corny isn't it!)

But still hoping for flights and car hire below £2000 next year!!

I'm one of these cheap people, I'm afraid. We're going in the Easter school holidays because of my job. We got 9 nights in a nice hotel on I-Drive and flights for £1098 for the two of us.

The sacrifices were:
1. It was cheapest to go for 9 nights, so we did that instead of our preferred 10.
2. We have to connect, which adds 3 hours each way.

For those two sacrifices, the money saved was well worth it (saved at least £600 on the flights by going indirect).

Incidentally, we're staying in the same hotel as last year for £15 LESS per night.

We also use public transport. With taxis whenever we couldn't be bothered to wait, the total for our 10 day trip last Easter was $70. Parking at the theme parks alone during that time would have been over $100.

In fact, our whole budget comes in at £2000 for two people.

If you're lucky enough to have the freedom to fly with whoever you feel like, Orlando still offers one of the best value vacations around :thumbsup2

I am determined to take my three children, despite the high cost and my meagre income. My non-Disney friends can't believe what I am prepared to spend to get there! With a family of 5, the price creeps up and being tied to the school holidays (I'm a teacher) it's even more expensive. For us, this really will be a once-in-a-lifetime holiday.:sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter