Anyone else find Stormalong Bay overrated?

sonofanarchy

DIS Veteran
We got back last week from 11 nights at Beach Club. I enjoyed the Villas pool more. I guess I can see how kids would like SAB, but I thought it was way overrated. It's a pain in the neck getting to the slide. The slide is incredibly uncomfortable. The sand bottom is neat, except I was always stubbing my toes where it went from sand to concrete. The lazy river would be nice with a tube, but without one, it's just too deep.

We got back last week from 11 nights at Beach Club. I enjoyed the Villas pool more. I guess I can see how kids would like SAB, but I thought it was way overrated. It's a pain in the neck getting to the slide. The slide is incredibly uncomfortable. The sand bottom is neat, except I was always stubbing my toes where it went from sand to concrete. The lazy river would be nice with a tube, but without one, it's just too deep.

Yikes! Sounds like you didn't enjoy SAB. Lots of pools at Disney, glad you enjoyed the Villas pool. I think it's great to have options.

We probably disagree about SAB. I keep a photo of it on my frig.. :rotfl:
It's my happy place!! :dance3::beach:

I completely agree! My 3 teenage boys love everything to do with water. The WP's are a MUST do for us each visit. That being said, I thought they would love SAB. They hated it.:( They felt it was too busy, and too spread out. They didn't like how all the sections of the pool were separated and there was really no place at all to actually swim. They ended up in the villas pool every night. I know some people love it but my family thought it was very overrated. I think its better for little kids honestly particularly with the sand/beach area. To each his own...

I think that SAB was nice, but definitely more choppy than I would have preferred and it is a pain getting from one section to another.

Also, the sand was annoying to me. It hurt! :headache: I live in New England, and that's like no sand I know....:sad2:

It was a fun pool, but I don't get all the hype over it. I actually preferred the one at WL :upsidedow

We liked it but there was no relaxing poolside for us. With young kids we were running around more then swimming.

I guess I can see how kids would like SAB, but I thought it was way overrated. It's a pain in the neck getting to the slide. The slide is incredibly uncomfortable. The sand bottom is neat, except I was always stubbing my toes where it went from sand to concrete. The lazy river would be nice with a tube, but without one, it's just too deep.

Agree on all points, especially with regard to the slide (also don't like how you have to walk through a common, non-resort area to get to the slide entrance).

That being said, I still like the overall feel of SAB. And the guy doing the poolside activities for the kids in the afternoon was great.

We tend to go during off-peak times. Even then, SAB can be quite busy. I adore it though... even if I find the sand a bit weird. I like being able to swim around the Lazy River part and not feel like I'm going to run into people all the time... as opposed to a pool with no current. As much as we loved AKL and its pool, we found ourselves missing SAB. :confused3

Hoping BWI's Luna Park can live up to my daughter's lofty expectations, especially when she'll be able to see her beloved SAB across the way. :laughing:

It wouldn't be a deal breaker for staying at the Yacht and Beach Club, but I don't think we would like it the way others do. I think it would be too crowded to relax. Also, we prefer to have a place to swim. Can see why it is loved by so many though.

My daughter and her friends do not like SAB. They said it's too crowded. With younger kids who can swim, it's hard to keep an eye on them.

YES!!! We also find it overrated and so did our kids!

We love the pools at AKV Kidani and at SSR. The Poly has a great pool too! We prefer those over SAB anyday!

Yeah, we didn't really love it. Definitely choppy, the location of the slide is a drag, and the lazy river didn't feel "lazy" - it felt frantic. We might have enjoyed it more if our kid was smaller & could play in the sandy area or bigger and could do the slide independently. At his age, though, (7) we prefer pools that are more open swimming space and a slide where we can wait at the bottom for him and still see him go up.

It's crazy, I know, but I'd pick the dreaded clown slide over SAB. :eek:

While I didn't like the beach club itself, I really liked SAB. Granted we went in early June so it wasn't that crazy crowded. I would not go if I had kids too young to swim or if I were the only parent. As parents we divided and conquered, taking turns and rotating through areas with the kids. And yes, that slide set up was awkward! But we were able to have lots of fun and spent much time here.
The bwi, wl, and akl pools are all awesome too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter