Anyone else feel like Disney is discouraging families of 5+ from staying on site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jen413

Earning My Ears
My family loves DW. We've been 4 times in the last 5 years, even though we can't necessarily afford it. We sacrifice in other areas because we love it so much and want to go as much as possible while our girls are small. But now that my youngest is old enough to need a ticket, we can't stay in the value rooms anymore. The first two times we went, this wasn't an issue. The third time, I took my younger sisters and we got adjoining rooms and split the kids in the package. The fourth time, we were forced to stay at Port Orleans, which my kids hated because it wasn't Disney enough for them (or for me honestly). Now we are looking at going again this fall, but we are going to have to stay off site for the first time ever because we can't afford the "family suites", which incidentally cost twice as much as a three bedroom condo right on the beach. I understand that they have to have limits on numbers of people in a room, but I think that six would be a lot more reasonable. Just wondering if there are others who feel the same way because when I voice my complaints to booking, they act like they've never heard this before. So frustrated!

My family loves DW. We've been 4 times in the last 5 years, even though we can't necessarily afford it. We sacrifice in other areas because we love it so much and want to go as much as possible while our girls are small. But now that my youngest is old enough to need a ticket, we can't stay in the value rooms anymore. The first two times we went, this wasn't an issue. The third time, I took my younger sisters and we got adjoining rooms and split the kids in the package. The fourth time, we were forced to stay at Port Orleans, which my kids hated because it wasn't Disney enough for them (or for me honestly). Now we are looking at going again this fall, but we are going to have to stay off site for the first time ever because we can't afford the "family suites", which incidentally cost twice as much as a three bedroom condo right on the beach. I understand that they have to have limits on numbers of people in a room, but I think that six would be a lot more reasonable. Just wondering if there are others who feel the same way because when I voice my complaints to booking, they act like they've never heard this before. So frustrated!
They do.

But I think you'll find that once you've stayed in a 2, 3 or 4 bedroom condo and paid the same (or less) than you did for a Disney moderate...you won't want to go back to a single, cramped room. You won't want to trade down to the Family Suites.

You'll have the least stressful vacation you've taken and will be thrilled to have been "discouraged."

Really. :)

Good luck!

I agree with you, OP. This last trip was our first time to not do a deluxe; we just couldn't justify two of those rooms.

We ended up doing two rooms as Coronado Springs, which was nice... but I missed the super nice, homey atmosphere we got at Animal Kingdom lodge and Wildnerness Lodge.

I don't know that there's much we can do, though. We have five kids, so deluxes just won't be in the cards for us for some time.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. Especially with the new AoA suites.

It also really depends on the time of year when you go.

I have to say that while a lot of DisLovers will make a thousands excuses, I do feel as a family of five it is not easy to do WDW. My oldest doesn't come on every trip (he is 17) but when he does we are either forced to cram into POR or hemmohage an extra grand or so to stay in a deluxe that sleeps five. No, we will not stay at an ASMu suite, Values are not for us...though with AoA open now I can't say we wouldn't consider that option if need be.

I distinctly remember a time when at least AKL let families of five stay in a standard room (I know this because my sister's family is six and they stayed there when the youngest was port a crib age) but they "suddenly" have fire hazzard issues that conveniently coinsided with the opening of the Villas...go figure...

It is a well debated topic and I suppose if we didn't want to deal with it we could just not go, as many here would suggest...
Last summer we ended up paying for two rooms at POR....

We do like BCR which is ok for 5 but only if we get a good AP discount.
It isn't just Disney though. To be fair rates skyrocket in many travel venues when you are five.

I was disappointed they chose to make AoA a Value instead of at least a Mod because we like to relax in an indoor lounge and prefer at least one TS option at our resort.

Often two rooms at a value are cheaper then the suites. We have 6 in our family so I understand. We got a good deal on the ASM suites and really enjoyed that trip. We're staying in our camper next trip b/c the campsites for a family of 6 are so much more affordable.

Only you can determine if a Disney World vacation is the right one for you. I'm not going to get into the whole "you decided how many kids you had" discussion but you have to think about what is right for your family and the makeup of it. Disney World does have accommodations for large families but it's going to be at a higher price than offsite. So, that's your decision there. There are tons of offsite vacation homes available but if your kids didn't think Port Orleans wasn't "Disney enough", then a vacation home isn't going to do it.

In my thoughts, if you want to go to Disney World, you either have to lower your expectations of the perfect onsite vacation experience and just go with offsite.

Or, ask your kids which ones want to stay at home. And I AM fully kidding about that last sentence. *flame suit goes on*

I too think that Disney is discouraging larger families. On one hand, there are the family suites at the value level, on the other are the deluxe resorts. There's no middle ground, so to speak.

When DD and I go we tend to stay moderate, either POFQ or CSR, however 3-4 extra family members have joined us on our last 3 trips. After researching options and pricing them out, we opted to stay off-site at Sheraton Vistana Villas (2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, living and dining rooms, full kitchen) for a fraction of the price. In October we'll be staying in a 2 bedroom at Wyndam Bonnet Creek for $120/night, a price that's unheard of on-site.

While I LOVE Disney resorts and the feeling they give me, my bank account only sees things in terms of dollars and cents.

I disagree.Disney is no more or no less accessible than many things...Trips to NYC, Washington DC etc will all cost $$$ for larger families..Families of 5 and up cost more.Fact of life pretty much everywhere and with everything.

Only you can determine if a Disney World vacation is the right one for you. I'm not going to get into the whole "you decided how many kids you had" discussion but you have to think about what is right for your family and the makeup of it. Disney World does have accommodations for large families but it's going to be at a higher price than offsite. So, that's your decision there. There are tons of offsite vacation homes available but if your kids didn't think Port Orleans wasn't "Disney enough", then a vacation home isn't going to do it.
I disagree. There are many homes/condos with more Disney touches than the PO rooms have.

It's all out there...you just have to do some research.

I think you could say the same thing about any hotel room anywhere in the country. Most hotel rooms are built to sleep 4 unless you upgrade to a suite. Disney is no different.

My husband comes from a family of 6 (4 kids). I only have one sibling. Our childhood vacation experiences are pretty different because of it.

It's just the way things are.

The only complaint I have, as a family of 5, is with the DVC properties. It is ridiculous that a 1 bedroom which is twice the size of a studio or a standard room at the same resort should sleep the same number of people as the studio/fewer than the standard room. That's something that's really held us back as we've talked about buying DVC - we can fit in a room at the Beach Club or Boardwalk, but we'd need to go all the way up to a 2 bedroom villa to stay at the adjacent DVC resorts. But that is changing, at least somewhat - AKV, BLT, and OKW now sleep 5 in a one bedroom and I expect the same will hold true of the new GF villas. It is just bad luck that the two properties we're most interested in are still on the 4 in a 1 bedroom list. :(

I do wish they'd add a suite option at the moderate level comparable to what they've done with AS Music and AoA because right now there's not much middle ground between value and deluxe for larger groups, but I suspect the market just isn't there for suites that cost twice what a moderate room does.

But .... didn't they build the Art of Animation resort to specifically cater to larger families ??? I understand those sleep six.

The Disunplugged podcast gave them a good review. Check it out.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-podcast/listen.htm

Another thing to consider is renting DVC points. You get the deluxe for sometimes HALF the price. We stayed at Old Key west and they have a double pull out sofa AND a sleeper chair, so it very comfortably sleeps a family of five. They also had a sleeper chair at Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Actually most hotels charge a per night fee for an extra person in the room. I'd be happy to pay that. What I don't agree with is having no option for five people staying in the room when there is plenty of room for us. Instead we have to choose between paying DOUBLE for a value or even more than that to go to a deluxe. Obviously we already pay more for having three children-another tickets, meals etc, and that's our choice. Paying twice as much for a hotel is where I have to draw the line, and I think it's sad.
However, we'll keep right on going. What we will not do, is go half as much just to stay on site.
If anyone has any recommendations of off site places that still have Disney touches, I'd love to hear them. Thanks!

I don't think they discourage larger families from staying on property through pricing at all. They know people will pay a premium so they charge it. Its more expensive for everyone that stays on property, not just large families. And as pointed out you can't stay in the "regular" rooms at many hotels/motels/resorts if you have more than 4 people.

AoA is supposed to be for larger families-yes. However, they are over $300 a night, which is just not possible for us. Not when we can stay off site for 1/3 of the cost.

Never thought of doing the points thing at DVC. I'll check that out! Thanks!

RMulieri said:
I disagree.Disney is no more or no less accessible than many things...Trips to NYC, Washington DC etc will all cost $$$ for larger families..Families of 5 and up cost more.Fact of life pretty much everywhere and with everything.

I have to agree; considering the standard occupancy for most hotel rooms are a maximum of 4, I think Disney has gone above and beyond to offer options for families above the amount of four.

And they provide free transportation, resort airline check-in, dining plan, mountains of discounts, etc. Try that in DC or Williamsburg, etc. And you will pay more.

My ex grew up in a family of five and they could barely afford to go on vacation. His parents modified a van into a camper for themselves and then bought a tent for the kids.

I would say being able to go to Disney at all is a priviledge that many kids do not get to experience.

At any non-ticket restricted hotel (exceptions being theme parks and cruises) it is common occurance for people to exceed the number of "allotted guests". I was just at a dance national last week at an expensive hotel in New York and there were many groups with three or more girls sleeping on the floor. When you are tied to a ticket per occupant, those venues can get away with limiting occupancy, even in situations where it may not be warrented. Such is life....at Disney and others.
If they can make the money, they will. If we are willing to pay it, we do.

I don't think Disney is discouraging large families on purpose. I do think vacation anywhere is discouraging TO large families. It's just a fact of life. I have 5 brothers and sisters; we stayed off property. We only went on less than a handful of actual vacations the entire time I was growing up. Staying in a hotel at all was super exciting for us. I was just happy to be at Disney. I didn't care if there was a giant Lady & the Tramp statue outside my door. Now I prefer to stay on property, but I wouldn't hesitate to stay off again in the future if my party size and budget required it.

Disney has a certain set of prices. They fill their hotel rooms with those prices. I doubt they really care who is paying the prices, only that someone is paying them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter