• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone else extremely disappointed in Southwest's christmas fares

Nancy---I don't know where in Illinois you live, but flying Southwest out of Indy (or St. Louis) will frequently save you tons of money as opposed to flying any of the six legacy carriers, so keep that in mind.

Nancy---I don't know where in Illinois you live, but flying Southwest out of Indy (or St. Louis) will frequently save you tons of money as opposed to flying any of the six legacy carriers, so keep that in mind.

I'm in Champaign - 2 hours away. It only saves money if there's more than one of us (usually me) flying somewhere, after paying for gas and parking, vs. flying out of my local airport.

I normally don't look seriously at Southwest for my trips to WDW, because I usually go solo. By the time I drive 2 hours to Indianapolis and pay to park, that has eaten any "savings" I would've had over flying out of my hometown airport. However, there will be 3 of us flying at Thanksgiving, and American Airlines from our hometown airport is more than double Airtran's fares from Indy. I thought $87 each way plus taxes was a good fare, so that's what I booked last month.

A 2 hour drive up to indy saves me $700 flying NWA, or air tran compared to SW.

I'd be :cloud9: just to get $100 one way fares!! They're over $200 each way!

I fly out of Detroit, so about $200 ish R/T is my baseline(for non holiday travel). I see Spirit's silly sales & SWA's dings, but I like to buy my tickets and be done with it.

Very happy that I got $1110 for the 4 of us for Thanksgiving.

I'm going from Hartford to Orlando on 1/6 and returning 1/12 (yup, the day AFTER the current fares end :headache: ). The fares are decent right now $119), and I have Ticketless Travel credit from my last trip. I always thought I understood the credit system, but now I'm not sure. If I buy the one way tickets now, partially paying for them with the credit I have that expires on 2/8, and then I get a Ding fare for lower, what happens to my credit? Does the amount I'm saving by using a Ding convert to credit that still expires 2/8? Can I get a refund for the difference if I'm booking the same flight at a lower price? How can I do that when I have to use the Ding link online instead of talking to someone? I'm so confused!!!

I'm flying near Thanksgiving, and the fare I booked with Southwest yesterday is $200 cheaper (2 RT tickets), AND I have a morning flight to MCO, and a late evening flight back. Both non-stop. So to answer this question, no pain here, Southwest Rules!

:cool1:
Out of Albany by any chance? We leave the 17th to Fort Lauderdale and most of us come back on the 24th (we come back Dec 2) and our airfare was very high. But still cheaper than others. ($706 for two round trip to Fort Laudedale. We considered flying into Orlando and renting a van, but it wasn't much difference. But hey, we got the cruise at a bargain!

I am drooling over $300 fares. Our current best fare is $500 coming from California going over XMAS. Southwest's initial release is $480

So do you really think that the cheaper fare categories that came out as unavailable were not really available to begin with? It just seems like they all couldn't have sold out so quickly. So it's possible they might offer some lower fares later?

So do you really think that the cheaper fare categories that came out as unavailable were not really available to begin with? It just seems like they all couldn't have sold out so quickly. So it's possible they might offer some lower fares later?

I really think SWA didn't release the cheaper fares, why give away the store if you don't have to for holiday travel. For DTW, I could get SWA $238 R/T (direct flights)for 11/17-11/23 still way cheaper than Airtran, NWA and Spirit right now.

We just got a ding for SDF to MCO for $119 - $133 w/tax one way. $267RT Per person:confused: Are they kidding! Granted these prices are only good till october 31 but dang! Am I to expect this kinda price for our DEC trip? Doesn't look like I'll be flying SW again this time.:confused3

That's a very good price, but it will undoubtedly be much higher come Christmastime.

I am so happy with my airfare for christmas i am paying $ 250 per person i have never paid that going down to disney foe christmas.Last year booking at the last minute thanks mom we paid over $400 per person.So i am very happy this time.Well see you all at the world for the holidays.MISSY AND FAMILY

SW has been great for us! We got tickets for 59 each way for our Thanksgiving trip as soon as they were released. WAY less than I was expecting to pay- Delta is almost triple the amount.

I just picked up a Ding for San Diego to Orlando for just about $100 each way. With taxes and fees it was about $230 pp this is for air travel in October. let me tell you I was happy to get that $100 each way fare.

The only thing that I can't figure out, is where the plane makes it's "one" stop. You used to be able to check that. I figured it was Phoenix, but I checked the Phoenix flights and there was no corresponding flight number. Does anyone have any idea where the stop between San Diego and Orlando might be?

SW worked out great for us...I have been watching for a flight out of Cleveland on Continental and it was running well over $1500 for 4 of us flying out Tues 12/18/07 and coming home Friday 12/28/07! I was going to fly out of Akron/Canton but that was still just over $1000 on Airtran (which I have not been seeing very good things about them on these boards)....so when SW came out with a total, out the door price of $875.20 for NS both ways for the dates I wanted! I JUMPED on them!!
I have never flown SW so it will be a little different for us but I am looking forward to it with the price I got!!:banana:

I think I actually did ok on my flights for SW (Dec 27 - Jan 3). $205/person which includes fees and taxes. Everyone else from Philadelphia was around $390.
Occasionally I saw the fares drop but nothing ever below $260 and I haven't seen that for quite a while.

I guess I thought SW was doing okay when I priced my trip on Delta at $690 and then SW at $280. Plus, with SW I can hope for a reduction!:thumbsup2

Yes and without paying any charges for rebooking.

Since Southwest flies out of Cleveland, Columbus & Pittsburgh, keep a very close eye on their website, or sign up fro DING fares from all three cities.

You could conceivably save a ton of money, even if you have to drive a little farther from home than you'd like.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter