Anyone else ever borrow 100% of their next year's points?

RickW

Mouseketeer
Well, we have now officially borrowed every single point from our October 2002 use year. We were looking into different ways to arrange our trip and I emailed my wife some options (we are going for 2 weeks with a 3-day cash cruise in the middle and we planned on going to a different resort for each half). She looked over the options I listed, didn't like any of them so she did some mixing and matching and sent back her option to me. I added up the points and realized that it exactly matched the number of points we had available (16 from this year, 210 from next year, for a total of 226). We just made the final reservation today and now we officially have 0 points available.

(Well, I guess we don't need to worry about the banking deadline :) )

Anyone else ever used every single point?

I purposely try to keep in a state of borrowing. You never know what major chages may happen in your life that would prevent you from using your points. I didn't really plan on buying DVC to trade out for other vacation destinations so I am happy borrowing for the most part. although I don't always borrow all my points, I usually do it most of the time.

Yep we have. We are going in June and taking extended family. We do this every three yrs or so and when we do we borrow all.

We have been in a constant state of borrowing since our 2nd cruise. I don't plan to skip a year till our son graduates. I've got 29 OKW points coming in Dec 2002 and 5 BWV points coming in Dec 2003. We have 2 trips planned this year, 1 in Aug and 1 over NYE......spruce

We almost did this year; I think we've only got 15 points or something in 2002. Those GV's at OKW can get expensive during the last week of December.

In fact we're already planning on borrowing a few from 2003. We've got another DCL cruise planned in Oct (paying cash) and want to spend a day or 2 at BWV before the cruise if we can swing it.

Well, instead of being in a constant state of borrowing, we usually have a constant state of banking!:D This year is the first time I had less than my annual alotment available on our use month.

Ok, but what I want to know is...

Is it crazy to already be mentally planning the next trip (that you have no points for yet), before the trip you spent all you points on has even happened?

Maybe I just love to plan WDW trips
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

- wife of rickw

Never borrowed, only banked. That is the way we planned it. We planned on needing 550 points for a two BR during Magic season, and a studio during Thanksgiving, and we banked our points from the beginning, and that is the way we will leave it, always banking, never borrowing.

Yep, we've exhausted all but 5-7 pts. of our 2002 use year! Like Spruce, I'd rather be in a borrowing situation than where I've banked and can't use the points. However, we haven't used the points sparingly over the last few years. With two adoptions under our belt and cash flow tight, we tended to opt for point usage rather than cash outlays for weekend/extra nights.

Sharon

We borrow too. You never know if you will be here tomorrow. Live for today! Banking or borrowing, half of the fun is the planning!!!:D

I've not only borrowed all my points, but I've done add-ons to cover extra reservations. I'm up to 750 points and I'm still borrowed ahead. We own 3 other timeshares which are also in the same borrowed state.

I'm glad to know that we are not alone. We have been in a decifit almost since we joined. Like others, we did an add on to get more points but that just means that we use more. I'm wondering if another add-on would put us in a positive state, but I suspect it would mean more borrowing. But, hey, but more vacations too!.

Originally posted by danicaw
Ok, but what I want to know is...

Is it crazy to already be mentally planning the next trip (that you have no points for yet), before the trip you spent all you points on has even happened?
If that's crazy, we're all in the loony bin with you! :crazy:

I just bought six months ago and banked the entire first year of points. So I anticipate being in a banked mode for a few years. After that...who knows?

We basically never borrow or bank. We come close to using our full allotment every year. We always have to bank or borrow a few points, but never anything major. Always less than 30, usually less than 20. It pretty much evens out, we have probably banked as many as we have borrowed.

Isn't that one of the greatest things about DVC?! We are having 2 trips this year and that will put us on a once a year til 2041......then I might miss a year! :)

We joined in Aug. 2000...used MB and banked the rest. Our trip for next Dec. will have us borrowing and I can see that by 2005 we may actually be borrowed a full year ahead if we go to WDW anywhere near as often as we'd like to. That's when we may add a 150 point resale...but we don't really know for sure. We're planning a move and a house purchase first....so we have to see how the cards fall.

We joined in Aug. 2000...used MB and banked the rest. Our trip for next Dec. will have us borrowing and I can see that by 2005 we may actually be borrowed a full year ahead if we go to WDW anywhere near as often as we'd like to. That's when we may add a 150 point resale...but we don't really know for sure. We're planning a move and a house purchase first....so we have to see how the cards fall.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter