Anyone Else Concerned about Sub-Tropical Storm Nicole This Week?

BWVPam

Loves being at WDW!
So we are scheduled on the Wish this Friday 11/11. We have gotten an alert from Southwest Airlines we could change our flight that is scheduled for early Thursday morning. When will DCL announce if they have to divert or delay?

Thanks all, getting a little nervous. Hoping and praying all in the storm's path stay safe.

Writing from Central Florida. Right now looks like storm timing has arrival Wednesday afternoon/evening. With the way the storm is coming in it could be a direct hit to port Canaveral.

Usually they have to send divers down to clear the port before they can reopen with this kind of situation. There is a good chance the port could reopen by Friday in time for the next turn. I would see if they have anything you could move to and be on the first flight Friday morning.

The storm will be away from the Port by Friday it arrives there Thursday, The tracking shows it to be in Georgia or even further North by then. The WISH should be arriving on time. Winds are not shown to be nearly as high as IAN and definitely less rain.

I was on the Fantasy that docked the Saturday after Ian came through. As of Friday night, we weren't even sure if we would be able to dock on time because the Coast Guard had to clear Port Canaveral to reopen. So DCL will give as much notice as they can, but in some cases they might not have much lead time because some decisions are out of their hands. They also may have to juggle ships scheduled to dock that get delayed (also happened when I was on the Fantasy; the Wish was supposed to dock Friday and got pushed back to Sunday, the scheduled Wish sailing for Saturday got canceled).

With that said, Nicole doesn't look to be nearly as nasty as Ian was, though as @DCLCruiseFan09 said it could be a direct hit to PC. With Ian, MCO and PC were both closed for I think at least 2 days? If PC takes any damage from Nicole it could be closed for a bit of time. In order to clear PC for reopening they have to wait until the winds die down, the water is clear, and it's daylight (according to what we were told on the Fantasy).

All that to say, I would be prepared for some possible disruption. If something happens, then you're prepared, and if nothing happens, then things turned out better than you expected.

I was on the Fantasy that docked the Saturday after Ian came through. As of Friday night, we weren't even sure if we would be able to dock on time because the Coast Guard had to clear Port Canaveral to reopen. So DCL will give as much notice as they can, but in some cases they might not have much lead time because some decisions are out of their hands. They also may have to juggle ships scheduled to dock that get delayed (also happened when I was on the Fantasy; the Wish was supposed to dock Friday and got pushed back to Sunday, the scheduled Wish sailing for Saturday got canceled).

With that said, Nicole doesn't look to be nearly as nasty as Ian was, though as @DCLCruiseFan09 said it could be a direct hit to PC. With Ian, MCO and PC were both closed for I think at least 2 days? If PC takes any damage from Nicole it could be closed for a bit of time. In order to clear PC for reopening they have to wait until the winds die down, the water is clear, and it's daylight (according to what we were told on the Fantasy).

All that to say, I would be prepared for some possible disruption. If something happens, then you're prepared, and if nothing happens, then things turned out better than you expected.
The port itself should be ok since it has the infrastructure to endure hurricanes.

The main worry at the moment is that the areas currently in the path were hit hard by Ian and have had no time to rebuild since. Lots of issues with retaining walls etc.

Sadly it's a "Time will tell" situation. I would encourage you @BWVPam to look into options for switching your flight. As of now they expect the major impacts on Thursday morning in Central Florida so trying to fly in or out will probably be a major headache.

No matter what you decide, be safe!

The Orlando airport is closing at 4 pm on Wednesday afternoon, with reopening not yet set. If I were planning to fly in on Thursday morning, I would check whether I could get a hotel on Wednesday night and then whether I could change my flight to Wednesday morning.

If the storm passes through on Thursday, the Wish should be able to depart on Friday, though it might arrive and leave a little late depending on port conditions.

I do wish we could change flights. Hubby cannot leave a day earlier due to training he is teaching all day tomorrow. We have no direct flights from where I live and we have a 2 hour time difference to deal with as well. The 5:20 am flight we are in arrives at noon eastern on Thursday. Not sure if I should book a back up on Friday or if Southwest would even let me do that

Not sure if I should book a back up on Friday or if Southwest would even let me do that
You can book another flight with no problem. You just tie up the funds for future use unless you're using points then all you have is the fees.

It was solved for me. Our flights were cancelled. I was able to grab a flight on Thursday afternoon arriving around 8 p.m. that night. If that flight gets cancelled we will not get to Orlando even if Disney is able to cruise that day. Time will tell ...:worried:

It was solved for me. Our flights were cancelled. I was able to grab a flight on Thursday afternoon arriving around 8 p.m. that night. If that flight gets cancelled we will not get to Orlando even if Disney is able to cruise that day. Time will tell ...:worried:

I am local to Orlando. I just read that the airport is closing tomorrow, Wednesday at 4pm, with no timeframe to reopen yet.

I live in Orlando. The worst storm is supposed to hit the Orlando area about 1pm. Hopefully the airport will be back open by 8pm.
But the area will be a mess with lots of power outages. I suggest you book a room at the Hyatt in the Orlando Airport for Thursday night. The airport will have power (it won’t open without it). If no rooms are available try and book a hotel close to the airport. You shouldn’t travel far that soon after a storm.
By Friday morning the roads should be clear and safe to travel.
Here’s the latest track from the local news station.
9B06E9D8-424F-4FF5-B4FC-72BAC6E74D23.png

I live in Orlando. The worst storm is supposed to hit the Orlando area about 1pm. Hopefully the airport will be back open by 8pm.
But the area will be a mess with lots of power outages.
May not be as bad since many of the old poles were replaced after IAN and the winds speeds are supposed to be lower. I'm in Lake County and we never even lost power with IAN

If you can switch to Friday morning, I would. With the airport closure starting Wednesday, I think Thursday may be too soon.

I have a family member trying to get in for that cruise also. Flight to MCO cancelled. Right now, they have rebooked into Tampa and will rent a car. Tampa sent out a notice earlier that they are planning to remain open.

If Tampa closes, they plan to try for Jacksonville or FLL, maybe MIA. All will require a car rental, but hey, at least they aren't stuck in DEN!

Hoping the CC on-island crew are all safe in their storm shelters. I did not see any mention that they were evacuated.

Last edited:
We are on the 11/11 Wish cruise (and the 11/14 Wish cruise). Our flight Thursday night got canceled and we rebooked into FLL. We will then drive up for the cruise Friday morning.
Hopefully everything works out for everyone!
At least we should be able to get on our second cruise for sure. It’s our first B2B!

We are on the Wish now and they told anyone with flights before 3 on Friday to reschedule in anticipation of getting into port late.

So, did you end up making it? I know they reopened for domestic arrivals at 8pm yesterday, but not sure if your flight was one of the lucky ones.

So, did you end up making it? I know they reopened for domestic arrivals at 8pm yesterday, but not sure if your flight was one of the lucky ones.
Long crazy day. We made our first flight into San Antonio and were supposed to get on another flight to MCO. Right as we landed got notice that flight was cancelled. Ran up to the gate and asked about flights. Saturday was first day available. The flight we were on was going to Tampa and I asked if we could get back on that on. At first they said no and then she said I only have 2 seats. I said yes. Got to Tampa and Then couldn’t find a car rental. Finally found one after 7 or so agencies. Got into Orlando at 8:15 pm. Went back to airport and switched cars Didn’t get the email about the delay until after we had already arrived in canaveral. Nothing in the app either and the dock website kept glitching on me. Now we are just exploring.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter