Anyone drive from NJ lately...leaving next Sat

Tracy M

DVC Member - VWL
First, I apologize, the search option on this site isn't working for me. However there seems to be alot of NJers that have done the drive. I haven't drove since I was a kid...this will be first time w/my family. Anybody's input is welcome, here's a few questions I have:

Plan on leaving around 5am & drive until around 5-6pm...Any suggestions where to stay?

Best routes around balt/dc & jacksonville....heard some heavy construction on I95?

All tips are needed! Thanks in advance:p

Hi,
RobinLyn listed the two best sites for traveling on I-95.

You could also map out your route on www.mapquest.com

Your on the right track as far as going around DC and Jacksonville, but Richmond, VA. also has an alternate route (I-295), that takes you right around.

Hopefully, you'll be able to make it well into SC, or even GA the first day, making for a shorter drive the next...And getting there earlier, too is a plus:D

Have a great trip!

295 around Richmond and 295(?) around Jacksonville are both good choices. Unfortunately, there is no easy way around Baltimore or DC unless you abandon I-95 in favor of 301. But that's a lot slower and longer, even if it's easier on the nerves. We always leave S. Pa. at 4:00AM, just to be sure of getting by Balto and DC before 6:00 AM.
If you leave on a Saturday or Sunday you can at least avoid those two cities' rush hours..but there will still be tons of traffic.

Last year we left about 3am from South Jersey-had breakfast in Virginia-was around"South of the Border" about lunchtime and stopped for the night in Savannah, Georgia about 4pm-we stayed at the Fairfield Inn. Went swimming-and stopped next door at the Cracker Barrel for dinner. Left about 6am and arrived at Disney about 11:30am (we did hit alot of rain that day)

We followed 95 - and maybe just lucked out but never really hit too much traffic.

Good luck-we will be doing the drive again this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter