• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone downgraded from Deluxe to Value???

G&J's Mom

DIS Veteran
I have ressies at AKL in June and received my confirmation in the mail yesterday. I also received a post card for Values at $59 in my "maiden" name which was kind of odd. Anyhow, this is our first trip to WDW and I will be traveling with DH, DD 4 and DS 2. I know the kids would probably LOVE the values so wierd as it may sound it is tempting. I can swing the Deluxe but that is a pretty great rate. I know it is the same rate as the AP rate, but I guess maybe I am looking at this as a sign however nutty that may sound.

Am I crazy to even entertain the idea of changing???? :crazy: I am afraid I would regret it. We are also planning on going back in December so maybe I should just stick to the game plan, UGH!! I dunno what to think. :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Denise

I would look at it this way. Are you going to use the hot tubs at AKL? Will you use the full room service? The exercise room?

If you are going to use this things then I would stay there. Otherwise I would use the postcard and save TONS of money by staying at a Value resort. Your kids are 2 and 4, they are going to love All Star Movies as much as AKL.

Are you going for them or for you? I would use the fabulous rate at the VALUE and do some nice character meals or other things that you wouldn't normally afford to do. Or just save the money for December.

Good luck.

I agree w/schwaa's post. What we do is sort of decide beforehand if this will be a "parks" trip or a "resort" trip. If we think we'll be spending most of our time in the parks, we go value, save the money and either save it for a future trip or use it on tours, character meals, shopping or fine dining --doing stuff that we would not normally do. If we decide that we really want to relax and hang out by the pools, use a spa, etc. we spring for the deluxe. As schwaa said, the deluxes are very nice but if you're not going to use the amenities, we much prefer to save the cash and stay value.

I have even done exactly what you're thinking of. Once we had ressies at BC and about three weeks before we were to leave, I got a great offer on the values. We switched to ASM and had a great time -- probably enhanced by that feeling of "having a deal!!" I didn't feel like I had downgraded -- I felt like I had upgraded my wallet and we probably upgraded our whole trip because we were able to do so much more without that feeling of "gee, the room is costing a ton, we probably shouldn't do this or that." Just my .02

The way I see it, you can look at it one of two ways. 1)You've never been to a Deluxe before, (or even Disney for that matter) so you really won't know what you're missing or 2) It's your first time and you really want to do it up right.

I know that the kids probably won't care where you stay, they are going to have a blast either way, but I think if it was me personally, I'd like to get the most out of this vacation and I'd opt for the deluxe since you already have it booked. It will be more pampering for you. Forget the money issue once you've made the decision, you'll enjoy yourself and I'm sure you deserve it and have earned this trip. JMHO::yes::

Since you've not been before, you can go either way. I will tell you, though, that once you stay at a deluxe, it's hard to go value. After three years at a deluxe, I opted for two rooms at All Stars last year. It was more than $100 a night less than one room at the YC -- I thought that having more beds and two bathrooms alone would be enough to offset the loss of a good pool (as far as teens are concerned), the hot tubs, proximity to two parks, etc. I was wrong -- my family hated it. We discoverd that, even though the parks are the main attraction for us at WDW, the resort amenities are important enough that we need at least a moderate.

Hubby and I love the deluxe and value resorts...we have stayed at the all stars many, many, many times..and will go back again.
Haven't tried Pop yet, but, we are looking forward to staying there as well.

At $59 per night..I would go for it. The value resorts have very convenient layouts, great food courts, good bus service.

Enjoy!

If you have never stayed on Disney property stay at the value this time. Once you go deluxe it is hard to do value. This way you can get both experiences. If you are never planning to go again, spring for the AKL. It is worth every penny!! Don't you just love these kinds of decisions??!!

Last year we split our stay at ASSp and AKL. Without a doubt, my kids liked All Stars better. They loved the giant icons and the decorations. They loved running down the football field in the morning. I, of course, liked the more expensive one better! That said, the rooms at All Stars are fine, especially with little ones who don't take up a lot of space yet. The AKL pool is wonderful. I am not helping your decision, am I? :D I agree with most posters. If you think you are going to do resort stuff a lot, stay at AKL. If you are going to be in the parks most of the time, take the All Stars deal. If you are like me and want to experience a different resort each time, start with the All Stars. Have fun!

You’re getting good advice here (I think). We took our DD 7 and 5 to WDW last Aug and stayed at AKL…. It was great, and seeing the animals was kewl…. But we had the 7 for the price of 4 deal…. So it was easier to say ‘yes’….

This year I had to convince the wife to go back in May (our 2nd trip in less than 1 year), and she would like the GF (and I would like a H2 Humvee), so we compromised on the POR. However as we told the kids, their 1st reaction was can we stay at the Dalmatian hotel??....

So…finishing up…. Stay at the all-stars, and go nutts (nuttier anyways) with some character dinners and family pics at the Hoop-dee-doo….we did last year, and that was worth a whole lot more than the fact we laid our heads at AKL last year….. even though it was a great place…..

When we are touring the parks we stay at a Value resort. When we want to relax at the end of our trip, we will stay deluxe and enjoy the resort. Otherwise, it is really a waste on us. We are never in our rooms, or at the resort. Too much to do, too little time.

On our last cruise we were upgraded to a balcony. Totally wasted on us. We spent a total of 10 minutes on it. If that. Too much to do.

My original plans were to stay at the Poly, but after looking at Pop Century we changed our plans. Plus at $59 a night it just made a lot of sense for us. I think its a decision everyone needs to make on there own. We plan to try every resort atleast once.

If it were me, I'd just have to stay at a value resort this trip and use that money on other fun things during this trip, or save some money for the next trip.

I bounce around among the values, mods, and deluxes and ALWAYS have a great time no matter which type of resort. They all have their advantages and disadvantages.

I think the 2 main reasons I'm suggesting that you do the values this time is because you're bringing the kids (they will love the theming of the values) and because you're planning another trip this year (Disney ain't cheap).

You're going to have a great time no matter which you choose!

If its your first time at wdw you want to have a fantastic time, which you will do no doubt. However, AKL is very special and will give your family a unique experience. The rooms are beautiful and spacious. I've heard of at least 4 families who booked into a value resort and upgraded when they got there because they hated it (quite tacky and rooms v small). If you want to save money - i would go for a moderate instead of a value (Port Orleans - v nice) - but if it were me, i would rather stay at a moderate or AKL and save money other ways, eg by not eating out at expensive restaurants every night.

I'll be the one to disagree!!!!! While the values are fine for a quick weekend, for your very first trip I wodul stikc with AKL. It is a wonderful place!!!! The pool is great for little ones with the zero entry and lots of activities for the kids and you don't share buses. Also, at the parks the values resort bus stops are the furthest away. You just can't compare the two experiences. You will feel more pampered and relaxed at AKL-something you'll want and need after being in the parks.

If you want to stay at AKL did you check to see if your post card entitled you to a discount there? We got a post card that was for deluxe, specifically AKL and when I called about it they said it was good for deluxe, moderate or values. They quoted me rates at each level of hotel. It is worth asking.

One HUGE difference between the two is the beds. If you can comfortably sleep in a double, then possibly consider the AllS tars. However if you are like DH and I, and sleep in a king at home and can barely sleep together in a queen while traveling, you need your sleep at WDW, so stick to the deluxes.

One other thing to note--it's a lot more comfortable in the deluxe resorts with the larger rooms and a balcony to sit on while your children nap. In the moderates and value resorts, there is no balcony. Also, if one of the kids gets sick and you end up spending a lot of time in your room, room service might come in very, very handy. With kids that age, you will have down time, daily naps, and just quieter time, and those few square feet can make a big difference (especially when you're putting a crib into the picture.)

We just got back from a trip where we had a 7, 4, and 1 year old with us. Daily downtime was a must, and then when the baby got sick and we were "stuck" in the villa, room service came in very handy. It made a bad situation bearable.

Just some food for thought.

Anne

We just got back from 8 days at WDW on Sunday. We stayed at a value (POP for 1 night), a moderate (POR for 1 night), and a deluxe (OKW for 5 nights). When we asked my 2 DDs 9 and 6 where they liked to stay the best of the three, their answer was....Pop Century. If you aren't going to spend much time in the room, I would save the money and go value. They seem to be very popular with the kids. Besides, our first stay onsite at WDW was in a value and I don't feel we missed out on anything. I know some don't like them but I think they are all right.

My aunt and uncle took their little girls (5 and 7) last summer and split a stay between All Star Movies and BC. The girls LOVED Movies - even with SAB at the BC. I think it's because the theming is so large and colorful - it really just says "Disney." They are planning a trip for this summer too and the girls are begging for Movies but I think they're only going to do 2 nights there and then move to the Poly or GF. Their parents said the rooms were soooo small at Movies that they just felt like they were on top of each other.

Like others have said, I would decide how much time I was going to spend at the resort vs. the parks.

You are going to have soooo much fun either way!

Hi, We just got home last Sunday from our first ever WDW trip.
My Husband and I, My daughter (15) and Son (7).
We stayed at ASM Fantasia building.
We loved it so much, the rooms were clean and suitable for all our needs, the bus services to the parks was very good.
We really only used the rooms for sleeping as we were always out and about.
We loved it so much we have already booked up again for next year, the journey was long for us, but it was well worth it..:wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter