• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone done EI contract work?

leenie715

Mouseketeer
I am currently enrolled in a program in order to get an extension on my elementary education teaching certification for special education. The job market for teachers where I live is very tight, even tighter if you are not duel certified which is why I decided to go back to school. I have taught but decided to stay home 7 years ago when I had my second child. I have been subbing for three years now, we moved away from my previous district, the commute would be too far. A friend of mine said that she has heard that with special education certification you can work for an agency on an hourly basis doing early intervention. Does any one have any experience with this? What would be the hourly rate you receive? How difficult is it to get a job with an agency? I am getting frustrated subbing and am trying to think outside the box. Thanks so much for your help.

In florida we would have this option, which I was going to do, but simce I am a full time teacher they didn't want me. :( I could have worked part time after school and on weekeds, maybe? Not sure what stae you are in but check out birth to 3 or early steps or chidl find and see what they need. School districts also have hospital homebound teachers and early interventionists who serve pre-k kids at home. Good luck

http://www.cms-kids.com/providers/early_steps/training/itds/itds_provider.html

I was a social worker for EI for 6 years. I loved the families I worked with and the pay was good. It has been a little while but I made between 40 and 50 an hour. In NJ the pay rate depends on your specialty...OTs, PTs, and Speech therapists made more. Not sure about the teachers. The one issue is you don't get paid if the client "no shows" you and there are no benefits (at least that was how it was where I worked). It is very fulfilling work so I encourage you to investigate it.

You can work as a SEIT (Special Ed Intervention Teacher). I believe the pay rate is between $40-60 here in NY. You can contract directly with the county or work through an agency. I have friends that work with an agency in order to receive benefits, but your pay is lower as they get a part of that pay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter