• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

anyone done a cruise and not spend additional money.

shelldub

Mouseketeer
hi all,

Looking for some info. I went on a 3 night cruise in October and spent quite a bit of money on board. I didn't mind I brought it to spend.

I'm now possibly due to go on the 12 night med this summer and my bf thinks that we will spend a fortune on top of what we are already paying. I really really don't think we will. Other than ports that we go explore, which will be paid in advance has anyone ever managed to cruise and not spend any money!!

Last edited:
We have been on lots of cruises. We spend the most on shore excursions, alcohol and tips. Plus once or twice on Palo. And some cocktail tastings. We are not big souvenir buyers. Nor do we buy pictures, play bingo or do the spa, all of which can add up. But if you like drinks be sure to factor that in. And if you have not been to the Med, it is a fabulous experience. But in order to really experience it right there is money to be spent. Lunch in small cafes watching the people go by. Wonderful markets to buy local wine, olives, bread, scarves, etc. Tipping the Cab drivers or tour guides. For tours there are lots of ways to keep costs down. For instance, take the bus into Rome from Disney for 100 and then hop on the on and off bus to go around the city. Do they same in Florence. Take a taxi to the cinque terra and then walk it on your own. Do your research for all the ports, figure out what is important and budget accordingly. But I wouldn't skimp on the stuff that makes memories. Otherwise hold off another year and save money. Or just do Italy, France, Spain, etc. on your own.

Thank you for your reply. Tips and shore excursions will already be paid and we won't be drinking alcohol going to the spa or doing palo. We will also be taking the train to Rome for €10 return each. No way will I lay Disney 100. We plan to go first thing and take the hop on hop off. I live in Ireland so not fussed with the small cafes or markets. Just to see the sites (and mainly the ship!!!)

I've done a lot of research already and really don't feel like we will spend that much on board.

Are you going to prepay gratuities? I would imagine that would be your biggest expense on board if you are planning on doing excursions.

Yes all prepaid and plan on doing all our shore excursions ourselfs by public transport. I was out for dinner tonight and someone said to my boyfriend we should expect to pay an extra 1000 whilst on the cruise. Eh what. I don't think so!!!

dont drink other than what we got with the cruise,dont go on excursions.thats how dw and i do it. what money that is spent is on souvenirs.maybe 100/150 bucks.we go to enjoy the ship and do as little as possible.

Yes all prepaid and plan on doing all our shore excursions ourselfs by public transport. I was out for dinner tonight and someone said to my boyfriend we should expect to pay an extra 1000 whilst on the cruise. Eh what. I don't think so!!!
You can call and add obc if you want to have everything paid in advance. We usuallly get the wine plan, palo, internet and then a throw in some extra for beer and few martinis. We are pretty consistant in our drinking habits so this is easy to figure out. You're smart touring on your own that is a huge money saver. On a twelve day I woul expect to spend something unless you just drink water and soda.

I went on a Royal Carribean cruise and did not spend one cent. (prepaid gratuities)
On Disney Cruises I tend to WANT to spend some money. Last Cruise we didn't spend more than on on board booking credit and the TA credit. That was nice!

hi all,

Looking for some info. I went on a 3 night cruise in October and spent quite a bit of money on board. I didn't mind I brought it to spend.

I'm now possibly due to go on the 12 night med this summer and my bf thinks that we will spend a fortune on top of what we are already paying. I really really don't think we will. Other than ports that we go explore, which will be paid in advance has anyone ever managed to cruise and not spend any money!!

On our cruise I only spent for one thing, bingo, and I had budgeted for that in advance. It is completely possible to not spend. I actually found it easy, as all our needs were already taken care of, the gift shops were small, and I don't drink.

On our 7 night cruise last month we didn't spend any additional money other than excursions and tipping that we had planned for. I brought 2 bottles of wine on board and didn't do additional drinks. With all the activities included we didn't need to spend any additional monies.

On our cruise I only spent for one thing, bingo, and I had budgeted for that in advance. It is completely possible to not spend. I actually found it easy, as all our needs were already taken care of, the gift shops were small, and I don't drink.

How much is Bingo? Thanks! Cheers!

We spend but not a ton. Maybe 1 specialty drink a day either coffee or alcohol. We have done a no excursian trip where the only thing we spent extra on was the lunch in one port and I think Palo brunch. So it is possible to go and spend very little and still have a great cruise.

we spend almost nothing, except entrance fees, trains, etc. Our bill for our last European cruise was under $200, not including an excursion and tips.

Thank you for your reply. Tips and shore excursions will already be paid and we won't be drinking alcohol going to the spa or doing palo. We will also be taking the train to Rome for €10 return each. No way will I lay Disney 100. We plan to go first thing and take the hop on hop off. I live in Ireland so not fussed with the small cafes or markets. Just to see the sites (and mainly the ship!!!)

I've done a lot of research already and really don't feel like we will spend that much on board.
You won't go to Palo, BIG mistake

Thank you all for your replies. Its helpful to know that based on what we like to do or don't like to do we really can go on this cruise and not spend much extra.

You won't go to Palo, BIG mistake

Not going to Palo is not a BIG mistake. Its only a big mistake if that's the kind of thing you like to do. This would be a waste of money for us and that would be a big mistake.

Have a great time!! We did the Med also in 07 (family of five $$$$). We are soon going on our 7th DCL cruise and of course we are always in Disney.

Of course, tips and any excursions can't be avoided. If you are not big drinkers, need souvenirs, pictures or bingo players - you will be fine. If you can't resist - things add up fast. Give yourself a limit for the day. If you spend more one day, make up for it and spend less the next, etc.

Actually we spent between DH and I tips (we paid a little extra in our tip envelopes because service was beyond good) and I figured in specialty coffee once a day (in my area the specialty coffee on the ship was cheaper than Starbucks!!) and then we brought cash for touring nassau privately instead of thru DCL. I was shocked that our bill at the end of cruise wasnt anywhere near as bad as I figured. We arent drinkers well we didnt do Palo either. I'm thinking after reading comments that I may just call and prepay the standard tips though and that way I only have room service (if we utilize it), extra tips for great service, and yes hopefully Palo brunch once on my service bill. The specialty coffee I can do without.

We had $100 OBC for our room and barely spent that, but we were only on a three night (not counting gratuities since those could be prepaid/shouldn't be optional). If you're not lured in by the pretty looking drinks/not a drinker and generally avoid the shops, we didn't find it tempting at all to spend much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter