Anyone do cloth diapers?

jenrose66

DIS Veteran
So I'm expecting number 3 and cash is quite tight. I'm going to try and breastfeed again...I was unsuccessful for my first two. Mostly due to post partum depression and going on meds and not wanting to breastfeed while on anti depressents...but I guess that's another thread.

Anyway my mom asked me if I had considered cloth diapers. I haven't because them seem like they'd be a lot of work and mess. However, I'd be interested to hear about anyone's first hand experience at using them good and bad.

Thanks!

Me! Me! Me!!

I'm 19 months into CDing my first child, and we love it! I had a stash built up while pregnant, so I was ready to do cloth full time, but we found it much better to ease ourselves into it by doing CDs only during the day and only while at home. After we got into the rhythm of just being parents, we cut out disposables for going out, and just used them for overnights, and eventually went full time CD. We are currently back in disposables for overnights, but that's a recent development because the toddler pee is SO ammonia-y and I was getting tired of trying to keep up with stripping that out of our dipes.

If you're worried about it being ick, you really shouldn't. It's not like you're going to be out back beating poopy diapers against a rock in the river to wash them, and modern CDs are a lot different than the flats, prefolds, pins, and plastic pants that our fore-mothers used, lol! If you are successful with the BFing (I wish you the best of luck!), then the BF poo is water soluable, so it can just go directly into the washer. And since you have older kids, I'm sure you know that you're going to end up touching some poo anyway at some point :rotfl:

PMing you with some more info, but suffice it to say that I'm a CD addict and am actually getting sad that potty learning is on the horizon for us. I drool over pretty new diapers the way most women do over shoes and purses!

I'd like to get more info on this too. I definitely think it'd be more economical, but I don't think DBF would ever go for it

We had our first in cloth most of the time. She was just more comfortable in them. Truthfully, though, when #2 came around, I just wasn't up for it. Thing to remember is that, just like with so many things, it doesn't have to be an all or nothing. Even using cloth at home during the day and disposable the rest of the time, will save you some money. The initial investment can seem pricey at first, but you will make that up. How fast depends on how much you use them. Of course, your expense will stay lower, too, if you don't get addicted to all the cute dipers out there. Seriously, we were in south Florida when we had our oldest. Most days she was in a diaper and t-shirt or sundress, so her diapers were seen a lot. I wanted them to be cute. Boy, were they!!!

We use gdiapers with gFlapper inserts and LOVE them! The covers have velcro and there is a snap in liner, and then you "stuff" the liner with an insert, either cloth or flushable/compostable disposable. The flushable liners are about as expensive as disposable diapers, so you won't save any money if you exclusively use those - we just use them for long outings or traveling.

We started with size small from birth (my DS was 8 lbs at birth and he fit them fine - they even sit under the belly button so they were great for letting the cord heal) and used gCloth inserts (made and sold by gDiapers). We did not like the gCloth - they were not very absorbant and we had a lot of leaks. Once DS outgrew the small gdiapers (at about 12 lbs and 8 weeks) we went on to medium and ordered gFlappers instead of the gCloth (Google "gflappers" - they're made by a WAHM) and they work GREAT! No leaks at all!

If I did it again, I would have kept DS in disposables until he fit into the medium gdiapers. He outgrew the smalls a lot faster than expected (he's a long baby) and I don't feel it was worth the investment for cloth diapers that only lasted a few weeks. Of course, we're planning to have more kids so they'll get more use eventually... but I would have been really annoyed if I had just bought them for this child. Also, we found cloth diapering really annoying for the first month or so when DS was pooping 12 times a day. Runny newborn poop gets all over the liner and the cover and so we were washing the liners and covers every day. However, once his digestive system matured a bit and he started pooping only once a day or once every other day, it got a lot easier. For pee diapers we just put in a new insert and reuse the liner and cover, so our 6 covers easily last us a full week before washing.

gDiaper covers are $16 each (or the 6-pack of vanilla and orange covers for $70) and the gFlapper inserts are $6 each. We have 6 covers and 24 inserts.

I LOVE cloth diapering and the covers are so cute! Also, the few times we used disposables we had trouble with diaper rash, but as long as we use cloth, we have no problems!

We had our first in cloth most of the time. She was just more comfortable in them. Truthfully, though, when #2 came around, I just wasn't up for it. Thing to remember is that, just like with so many things, it doesn't have to be an all or nothing. Even using cloth at home during the day and disposable the rest of the time, will save you some money. The initial investment can seem pricey at first, but you will make that up. How fast depends on how much you use them. Of course, your expense will stay lower, too, if you don't get addicted to all the cute dipers out there. Seriously, we were in south Florida when we had our oldest. Most days she was in a diaper and t-shirt or sundress, so her diapers were seen a lot. I wanted them to be cute. Boy, were they!!!

Yes to all of this! CDing really can be as cheap (old T-shirts from Goodwill) or as expensive ($35+/ea "designer" fitteds) as you want it to be!

We started out using basic prefolds and PUL covers, but DD's skin started not liking the wetness of cotton against it, so we switched to pockets. Then I fell in love with Blueberry minky pocket diapers. Thank gods I bought all of mine when they were on clearance for $12 ea (down from $30+/ea!) I currently have an obsession with fitteds made by a WAHM, Megaroo's Designs, and have 7 or 8 of those at around $20/ea (though I traded web design services for 4-5 of them). I've also made some nice diapers of my own, and I'm mediocre at best with my sewing machine!

I'd like to get more info on this too. I definitely think it'd be more economical, but I don't think DBF would ever go for it

My DH didn't like the idea either. But when he saw how the new cloth are today and how much money we saved.... he was in!! It was the best thing we did as far as savings besides making our own baby food once he was old enough.

Best of luck BF. I had a hard time pumping when going back to work. A lot of it has to do with the enotions that come with BFing. I just couldn't quite get it when at work.

Try a local BFing class at your hospital, if they offer one. PM me for some great sites for BF help and CD info. I love to share!:flower3:

Good luck and congrats on your pregancy!:yay:

I don't have personal experience, but I just wanted to say I have a friend that was so in love with cloth diapers she started her own business making and selling them! It's called BubuBebe if anyone is interested. She gets great feedback and from what I understand, they are excellent diapers. I'm not trying to push her sales, lol, just thought it may be helpful!

I don't have personal experience, but I just wanted to say I have a friend that was so in love with cloth diapers she started her own business making and selling them! It's called BubuBebe if anyone is interested. She gets great feedback and from what I understand, they are excellent diapers. I'm not trying to push her sales, lol, just thought it may be helpful!

I've actually heard great things about that brand!

My DH didn't like the idea either. But when he saw how the new cloth are today and how much money we saved.... he was in!! It was the best thing we did as far as savings besides making our own baby food once he was old enough.

Best of luck BF. I had a hard time pumping when going back to work. A lot of it has to do with the enotions that come with BFing. I just couldn't quite get it when at work.

Try a local BFing class at your hospital, if they offer one. PM me for some great sites for BF help and CD info. I love to share!:flower3:

Good luck and congrats on your pregancy!:yay:

Not pregnant yet, but we talk about these kinds of things from time-to-time. Once we get married a couple years from now we'll probably TTC.

Oh she is on hyena cart. That was my "home" when I was cloth diapering!

Justbishop and crazy4cloth - I can't believe you've heard of her! It's a small world after all! I'll have to facebook her later and tell her she is slightly famous. :rotfl:

Justbishop and crazy4cloth - I can't believe you've heard of her! It's a small world after all! I'll have to facebook her later and tell her she is slightly famous. :rotfl:

:) My screen name says is all. I loved my cloth. I have been a member of hyenacart since 2005. Not active anymore because my baby is 4:sad1:

Cloth diaper mom here
At one point I had 7 in cloth at one time for about 6 months. (we got a group of 4 foster kids)
My all time favorite diapers are GroVia. I love that I can just use the shell and disposable liner if I am out and about with our newest baby.

I did for 2 years with my first, 15 months with my second (when I decided I just couldn't keep up with the laundry anymore). A word of warning, cloth diapers can be very expensive :rotfl: As justbishop said there is a whole new world of cloth diapers out there. However, if you are going budget you are probably going to be sticking to more budget friendly options, and opting out of all the new and fancy stuff.

For budget diapers flats or prefolds, and a cover with snaps or velcro are going to be the way to go. Check out Thirsties covers http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TUYHCC/?tag=yahhyd-20&hvadid=62826779011&ref=pd_sl_8599khher9_b
they are reasonably priced, work well, and hold up well to washing.

I found I didn't like prefolds at all. The next step up is going to be a fited diaper. A fitted diaper has velcro or snap closure, but still requires a water proof cover. I actually sewed up a bunch of my own, and saved a good deal of money. If you sew its a good way to go. You can buy materials specifically made for diapering (bamboo fleece, banboo velour) or even use stuff you have on hand (old towels, fleece shirts, cotton tees, cotton sheets). I have also heard great things about Crickets diapers http://www.crickettsdiapers.com/diapers.html

The next step up and the cadilac of diapers are going to be your pocket and all in one diapers. Which is exactly what the name says. Basicly a cloth version of disposables. My absolute favorite dipe was sposoeasy http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/allinone.htm (and also the store in this link is an awesome place to start!). The sposoeasy is as easy as it gets. I liked them in velcro because I got a better fit.

Another option is buying used to save money. You can go to diaperswappers.com and find tons of information, and lots of used dipes for sale. But 2 things to beware of. It can be a place with tons of "mom wars" and lots of threads about "i'm a better parent because..." So stay away from the off topic and parenting board. And also be very wary of who you are buying from. Make sure they have a lot of feedback, and read their feedback. There have been many many many cases of mom's getting scammed over there, and its not very well controlled.

As far as the gross factor, not so much as you would think. When they are little the poo just washed right off in the washer. When they get a little older, you can buy a disposable liner for the dipes when they poo you just dump it with the liner into the toilet. Washing is easy. Store dipes in a wetbeg, most will fit right into an average size garbage pail. Plan on washing every other day or you will get odors. My wash routine was cold rinse with no detergent, hot wash with some tide (I tried many detergents, tide was the only one that worked for me), cold rinse, and extra cold rinse. Dry in the dryer.

Some tips, don't expect to go right from the start. Plan on starting once the babe is a couple weeks old. Those first few weeks are so rough, you will be setting yourself up for failure if you expect too much. Don't buy a ton of one kind of diaper to start with. Start by buying a couple each of a couple differant diapers, try them out then choose what you like and get some more. And remember it doesn't have to be all or nothing. No reason you cant alternate between disposables and cloth, you would still save some money. Good luck with the new baby!:cloud9:

I agree with a lot of the above, but just a warning, diaperswappers has a reputation for handing out some nasty computer viruses and flat out denying it. Clothdiapernation dot com has a great FSOT section for buying used (which IS a great way to save some cash and do the trial and error thing to find the right fit for your babe), and is run by normal Moms, rather than a corporation.

My DD was in cloth for most of her diapering time, but we had a diaper service. If I were to do it again, I would consider buying diapers and cleaning them at home. In any case, I really enjoyed the cloth diapers. We used disposables when I was going to be out for more than an hour or two.

I agree with a lot of the above, but just a warning, diaperswappers has a reputation for handing out some nasty computer viruses and flat out denying it. Clothdiapernation dot com has a great FSOT section for buying used (which IS a great way to save some cash and do the trial and error thing to find the right fit for your babe), and is run by normal Moms, rather than a corporation.

Oh thats right, forgot all about the virus junk! Killed my last computer. Make sure you have good virus software if you go there! I havn't been to CDN in quite awhile, but the fsot there was no where near as extensive as diaperswappers.

Oh thats right, forgot all about the virus junk! Killed my last computer. Make sure you have good virus software if you go there! I havn't been to CDN in quite awhile, but the fsot there was no where near as extensive as diaperswappers.

No, definitely not as active, but I'll take that over the viruses any day (and just a friendly FYI, many using Firefox and other, more obscure browsers, along with ad blockers, etc. have STILL been infected, so those are not solutions). IDK, that place just isn't worth that much grief for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter