• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

anyone do an ECV rental for disney cruise (DCL)?

cathicool

Disney...On My Mind and In My Heart!
hi!
not sure if this is in the right place....i'm cross posting this on the disney cruise forum as well.

my family of 5 will be going on a disney cruise for 3 nights, followed by a week stay at WDW.

anyone rent an ECV for a cruise?

how about a cruise and then WDW?

i'd prefer one that is transportable since we will be renting a minivan to get us tfrom the airport to the port and then from the port to WDW. i also prefer to use the minivan to go to the parks rather than disney buses.

i see lots of info about renting an ECV while doing WDW, but what about DCL?

thanks!

I have been exactly one cruise to date, NON DCL. My opinion for what little it is worth.. an ECV will most likely be an issue. they do not fit inside the cabins unless you have a HA cabin. so it will have to be left outside the cabin. the corridors can be narrow, which means between your ECV and the housekeeping carts..it could get crowded. plus you have to worry about plugging it in/recharging it..and idiots trying to be cute and sitting on it,trying to steal it,etc .

I saw several wheelchairs..both collapsible/travel ones and full size regular ones, but no ECVs. One my one and only cruise..so that may mean exactly squat....

the issues people have pointed out for the Disney cruises (besides what the other poster mentioned) included small elevators and inaccessibility of the onshore trips because most foreign countries are not wheelchair/ECV accessible.
Also, I don't know if you saw it, but there is a section about WDW Cruises in the disABILITIES FAQs thread in post #13. The FAQs thread is near the top of this board, or you can follow the link in my signature.

hi!
not sure if this is in the right place....i'm cross posting this on the disney cruise forum as well.

my family of 5 will be going on a disney cruise for 3 nights, followed by a week stay at WDW.

anyone rent an ECV for a cruise?

how about a cruise and then WDW?

i'd prefer one that is transportable since we will be renting a minivan to get us tfrom the airport to the port and then from the port to WDW. i also prefer to use the minivan to go to the parks rather than disney buses.

i see lots of info about renting an ECV while doing WDW, but what about DCL?

thanks!

I rented an ECV from Randy's Mobility for use at WDW and on a 4 night cruise on the Wonder 8/24-28. We had a veranda deck 6 cabin. I had to park and charge it in the aft elevator lobby and then walk to our cabin (not too far away). Someone left 2 glasses in the basket one time. I had trouble getting on and off deck 4 & 9. The other places where there was a problem was in Shutters and the shops as they were only open in the evening and very crowded which made manuvering difficult. Thankfully, I am able to walk short distances so could park the scooter outside the theatres and just inside the restaurants. I didn't get off the ship at Nassau but did get off at Castaway Cay. CC was not problem at all since there are walkways. We went to almost the end of the family beach where I parked the scooter and then walked a short distance to lounge chairs. The only problem was at Cookies - trying to drive the ECV and getting food on my tray. After I got the food, a castmember carried it to a table for me and then got my soda. I was with my DGS & DGD so he helped get their drinks also.

Had I not had the scooter I would not have been able to go on the cruise at all. My son-in-law dropped the kids & I off at the terminal and put the scooter back together. The kids & I checked everyone in while he and my DD returned the renntal cars.

As long as you can do some walking, the ECV should not be a problem. Enjoy!!

:moped: Janet

hi
thanks for the trip report. i can do some walking, but i am sure i will need an ecv as my broken ankle is just not as healed as i would like it to be yet and we leave on 9/24.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter