Anyone disappointed in MGM park?

Wow, I am so surprised at how many people dislike MGM. It is one of my favorite parks. I love that it is smaller than the others. I love the way it is set up with the streets, as well as the street acts. I love millionaire, Disney Playhouse,TOT, RNR coaster, too many to mention. I also love the dining. The brown derby and the prime time... Not to mention the parade!!! I love MGM. Now Epcot on the other hand..???

I am having a brain cramp right now and cannot remember what year the park first opened but even then I don't remember it as a full day park. It didn't have ToT or RrRC but the studio tour (which included the back lot, I think) was a very long and interesting attraction. It is all running together in my head but I think you used to have the special effects part with the boats and water and somewhere along the line you did a tour of the sound stages (from above) the back lot tour through the residential street, bone yard and catastrophe canyon, some random TV and movie sets, props, a section where you could get filmed in a "honey I shrunk the kids" type set, the set from a movie with Bet Midler that was filmed in Florida. It all led into, if I recall, the natural progression to the animation studios where you got a demonstration of drawing and animation. It was worth the admission all by itself. That's all gone now. The last time I went the "special effects" tank was hardly anything and the backlot tour was really nothing but a ride to the canyon. Back then you had superstar TV, the sound effects show and more.

The other attractions were the Great Movie Ride, The Indy stunt show, Star Tours, the Muppet's 3D but best of all that Hat didn't exist.

I find it hard to find things to do in that park. I like Tot, Rockin Roller Coaster, the Muppet's, Indy, Sounds Dangerous, the Little Mermaid show and, of course, the Great Movie Ride, but other than that it is a bust for me. It's ok though because I park hop and use the rest of the time to go back to MK or Epcot. I'll get my monies worth one way or the other.

Do they still have the NYC street scene or did they get rid of that too? I haven't been there in a while.

I'm glad I have the park hopper tickets because if it's boring, then after we do ToT and RNRC, we'll go to another park.

Yes, they still have NYC.

My family and I always enjoy going to MGM because it's one of our favorite parks to always visit. On our list of favorite WDW parks Magic Kingdom is #1, MGM is #2, Epcot is #3 and Animal Kingdom is #4.

Of course we all have different tastes...thank goodness! Animal Kingdom keeps going up on our list as we always seem to find more to do there lately...one more ride on EE, the two great shows, safaris, etc. MGM is always a must do, but now for only half a day. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I was sorry to see Millionaire leave and I miss the old backlot tour. The new stunt show just doesn't flip my nickel much (and I agree with the poster who mentioned "HOT") but RnR and ToT are absolute must do's! Don't you guys think that with the new relationship with Pixar that Disney Studios might soon see a positive resurgence?

I like MGM a lot, especially at night, and SciFi is my favorite restaurant. I have never known the backlot tour to be anything than it is now, so I am curious about its past versions. I didn't think about it before I read this thread, but I do go for the atmosphere. I love how the streets are lit up at night, the spookiness of ToT, and of course RnR. Not a fan of the Beauty and the Beast show, but I do like Little Mermaid and Fantasmic!

The only things we did not like about MGM was when they closed Who Wants To Be A Millionaire Play It, however since the show on TV and the attraction itself was not as popular compared to when they both 1st started I can see why they got rid of it.

The other thing we did not like and I felt it was way over hyped was Lights Motors Action. When I saw the previews on TV I thought wow that looks like an amaizing show. However after seeing it I thought it was nothing like how it was shown on TV and was disappointed by it. I am happy I saw it once, however I won't be seeing it again.

We agree.

I mean, we enjoyed it the first time but we are going over the list of attractions and there is not much we want to do again...

Also, the Lights, Motors, Action show was terrible for me and for some reason my eyes burned intensely during the show. :confused:
Very disappointing :(

These are the only things I want to see next trip there (I enjoyed Indy, Muppets, One Man's Dream and such but I wouldn't say they were worth a second visit):

The Great Movie Ride
Backlot Tour (MAYBE)
Beauty and the Beast (didn't see last time)
Voyage of the Little Mermaid (didn't see last time)
Osbourne Lights (hoping they'll be up)
Fantasmic!

(There is no Star Tours because we don't like SWs, and no ToT and RnRC because we are not big thrill ride people :scared: )

We'll probably sleep in and then go visit these five things.

But yep, its just missing magic...the theming doesn't make much sense. First you are on Hollywood Boulevard, then you are at....some lake with Star Wars and Indiana Jones? Then you are at New York City? It really makes no sense :confused:

We also (even though we never went without it) think that the hat is ugly and that it should be removed.

The layout is bad too...of the four parks we found ourselves looking at the map in confusion more then anywhere else in MGM.

MGM is easily the worst for us :confused3

That's why I love WDW - there is something for everyone! I love MGM - but I can see where others might find it boring. We love the shows and parade and I wish they still had hunchback or would at least add another show. I was sad to see the houses go, but I did enjoy the Osbourne lights on New York street. We sat on the curb and drank hot chocolate and watched the people. It was such a great atmosphere. :goodvibes

The thing I like most about MGM is something I haven't seen mentioned yet, and that's the theming. I love the art deco-style architecture and styling among the buildings, I love the theming in ToT, RnRC, GMR and even Muppetvision, where there's lots of neat stuff to see as you wait for the next show ("A Net Full of Jello" is one of my favorites!:rotfl: )

There are definitely some things I'd change about the Studios if I could. I'd get the GMR back and running at top capacity. I would've added the new attraction without closing Millionaire, since MGM does need more attractions. I'd add at least 1 more CS and 1 more TS restaurant.

But IMHO MGM is a park that's meant to be taken slowly. There are so many neat things in the park that can only be appreciated if you take the time and look around. They may not be mega-headliners, but they're still very cool.

MGM/Studios is the reason I was glad to see Universal get Harry Potter. I mean they have had the Star Wars rights for how long and Star Tours is the only thing they can come up with in all those years with such great material! Oh they trow in a few Star Wars Weekends but that's it, how disappointing and a waste of opportunities. I would like to see a lot more done with Harry than a movie and shaking seats. I enjoy the studios but think they really rushed to get it open and then they quit. I find it a pain to tour also because of all the show times and how they rarely coordinate to allow you to plan your day.

MGM is my least favorite park. We wouldn't even be visiting it this trip if not for the High School Musical pep rally. Well that and I'd like to see Beauty & the Beast.

I :love: MGM. It has 4 of my top ten attractions(ToT, RnRC, Muppets and Fantasmic) my favorite place to eat in the World(and maybe the world)-50's PTC, and it has something that no one has mentioned yet, and I'm surprised. Four for a dollar! It's a terrific preshow for B&tB. The only things I don't like are Sounds Stupid errr Dangerous, and the Backlot Tour. And I did it befored, and it wasn't that great. Gee the house the old ladies lived in oh wow. The Hat is okay, but should NOT have blocked the theater. This year, I'm spending 7 days in the parks with 2 of them at MGM.

ps it would not break my heart if they closed Indy and brought in the ride from DLR.

At one time, MGM was my absolute favorite park. But then...

They got rid of the animators (and Robin Williams) and gave us what pretty much amounts to a character stop.
They took away from the "Hollywood" feel with the Chinese Theater at the head of the street and gave us "The Hat"
They took away the unique things in most of the shops and gave us...well, the same stuff as everywhere else.
They took away some of the more interesting parts of the Backlot Tour and gave us screaming cars and burning rubber (and haven't updated the parts of the tour they did leave).
They took away Chevy Chase and gave us Drew Carey.
Hardly any of these were positive changes, in my opinion.

The things they have left, are somewhat stale.
They left us with what has to be the exact same Indiana Jones show as the day it opened. (It was great the first 500 times, but now...)
They left us with the Great Movie Ride (which used to have a line out the door). I love it, but then, I know who Busby Berklee is. ;)

Like many people, I can't do roller coasters, drops, or box-in-a-blender simulator rides, so that knocks out the obvious.

So that's my opinion, and it makes me a little sad. There used to be many unique things about MGM, and I loved it. But other than a pleasantly art deco place to kill a few hours, it's not worth the ticket.

My family and I just returned from WDW last week and although our last trip was back in 2003 and we did do MGM it was only half a day. We did dinner at the 50's Primetime, did ToT, RnRC and stayed for Fantasmic. But since that was my husband's first time doing that park and he liked it, he felt as though he wanted to do an entire day on our next trip so that's exactly what we did. I think if you pace it right and you might have one or two individuals who are more into shows and less trill seeking rides the park can be a perfect way to spend the day.

This time around our party included my my husband(29), myself(30) our girls ages 9 and 2, my mum and my best friend(31). We all enjoyed the backlot tour, GMR, shows like Lil Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Indiana Jones stunt show; we did dinner again at the 50's Primetime and when it came time to do the RnRC and ToT my mum went to save us seats for Fantasmic. My mother didn't feel rushed or overly tired so for us it was perfect; a good time was had by all and none of us were dissapointed.

In my opinion MGM gets a bad rep by people who don't think it's worth spending all day there and with that being said I really took notice of the attendance while I was there to kind of compare it to the other park attendance and I really didn't notice any difference. I found it to be just as crowed as any of the other parks throughout the entire day. Not everything will stay the same in any of the parks. Disney chooses to make changes to some of our favorite attractions and some of the changes we like some we don't care for but to say an entire park is bad and not worth going to is a big leap, but everybody is entitled to their own opinions. Frankly I say if you don't like the park stop going even for those few attractions you claim you still enjoy. Leave the park to those who still enjoy it the way it is, keep the lines shorter for us by going to the other parks.

Toya

. I find it a pain to tour also because of all the show times and how they rarely coordinate to allow you to plan your day.

I agree! You can spend a full day at MGM, but can't see all of the live shows because the times just don't coordinate. The kids love all of the characters they can see there, though. We were frustrated on our last trip, b/c we went to the animation tour b/c Ds wanted to see Chicken Little who was supposed to be at the end. We had asked if we could skip the tour and just go see Cl, but the CM told us no. We sat throught the tour, which was boring w/o the actual animators there, only to find out that CL was leaving for the day, and the line was stopped just before we got in, AND, they had allowed families who were in line behind us to skip the tour, and see CL, even though we were told no.
I also agree with PP's that thye could use more/better CS in MGM. We find that if you are trying to get in live shows, the parade , Fantasmic and an ADR, it's just too much, but the CS places in MGM aren't that good either.

The other attraction they need to get rid of is Sounds Dangerous. I have seen it 2 or 3 times and I said to myself my god why did I see that? There has got to be something that the Disney Imaginers can come up with to replace it right?

The other attraction they need to get rid of is Sounds Dangerous. I have seen it 2 or 3 times and I said to myself my god why did I see that? There has got to be something that the Disney Imaginers can come up with to replace it right?

Ugh! :scared1:

Thats the worse ride at all of Disney for me.

I actually just took off my headphones and rested in the darkness after about 5 minutes of it :rotfl:

Ugh! :scared1:

Thats the worse ride at all of Disney for me.

I actually just took off my headphones and rested in the darkness after about 5 minutes of it :rotfl:
One time I went on it because it was starting to rain so my family and I needed a place to get out of it and Sounds Dangerous was right there. I remember when it was over the sun was out and I made a joke saying the rain stopped and the sun was out because that show was finally over lol. :rotfl:

Mgm is my least favorite park, but I like ToT and RNR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter