• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone concerned about the "mosquito" talk?

My fear is all those worried about zika spraying over and over.
I think of this too! I see so many people complain of the spray sunscreen overspray in the parks from others. I wonder how much Deet overspray will be around now that Disney is givin away free Deet sprays.
We bought the Picardian stuff and it says it lasts 14 hours. I did not want to have to find a secluded place to spray Deet in a park midday to not spray others when reapplying. I hope others are considerate enough to not spray in lines and fireworks type crowds. But I'm afraid they won't be.

Hi, my wife and I are also from new england. She is just at the end of her first trimester and we plan on going in a couple of weeks. Our OB said to bring spray and long sleeves. How was your trip? What do you recommend for mosquito repellent? Thanks!

Anyone suggesting long sleeves has not gone to Disney, PREGNANT during this time of year. Even though long sleeves is a simple defense, it just is NOT going to happen with the florida heat/humidity. You're going to have to rely on being diligent with the bug spray.

Basically, if you already have health issues, then ask your doctor and you should be concerned about your health when you travel or even at home. If you are trying to get pregnant, abstain during the trip and for a month after, or use a condom. If you are already pregnant, ask your doctor.

If you are none of the above, do you wash your hands before putting them or anything in your mouth, nose, and eyes or near your face? If not, then you are probably more likely to get a cold or some other communicable disease from the normal methods than to get Zika. It's just another disease that the media is hyping up to get everyone in a panic. There are terrible things out there all the time that you probably don't worry about, like MSRA, flesh eating bacteria, or any number of things that we could be exposed to anywhere. Remember West Nile, SARS, and Ebola? Whatever happened to them? I doubt that they have completely disappeared from the planet.

You should be abstaining/using condoms for 4 months after the male partner travels to a zika area.

You should be abstaining/using condoms for 4 months after the male partner travels to a zika area.

I thought the CDC was saying 1 month, but they could have changed their requirements. Doesn't really matter to me. I'm done having kids:banana: and I love the one I have::yes::

Current recommendations are abstinence or condoms for the duration of the pregnancy following travel to locations with active transmission. Because of Florida, the CDC now considers the US a zone of active transmission.

Anyone suggesting long sleeves has not gone to Disney, PREGNANT during this time of year. Even though long sleeves is a simple defense, it just is NOT going to happen with the florida heat/humidity. You're going to have to rely on being diligent with the bug spray.
I lived in Florida my whole life. I will not suggest wearing long sleeves in this heat and being pregnant. Sound like a recipe for a quick trip to the ER. Spray up with some repellent. Keep the perfumes light.

I think of this too! I see so many people complain of the spray sunscreen overspray in the parks from others. I wonder how much Deet overspray will be around now that Disney is givin away free Deet sprays.
We bought the Picardian stuff and it says it lasts 14 hours. I did not want to have to find a secluded place to spray Deet in a park midday to not spray others when reapplying. I hope others are considerate enough to not spray in lines and fireworks type crowds. But I'm afraid they won't be.
Yes!!! Two of my littles have asthma and inhaling any type of aerosol can mess them up!

Yes!!! Two of my littles have asthma and inhaling any type of aerosol can mess them up!
Exactly! My husband has asthma but even without it, Deet is poisonous to inhale. I do NOT want others spraying it around me in crowded spaces. Even on your skin it's only safe within certain doses. I really hope people don't go Deet spray crazy!!

Im not concern about mosqitos,a just came from 3 weeks in Puerto Rico and I don't think I got zika.

While you very well may not have contracted Zika, 80% of people never show symptoms. You have zero evidence that you didn't contract it. You thinking you don't have it doesn't really mean anything.

I'm pregnant. I made a conscious decision not to travel to Disney during my pregnancy. I live in an area that has a way lower risk for contracting Zika than Florida. It's not worth the risk to me. This may only affect a handful of people in this country or it may have more widespread consequences, we don't know yet. As someone mentioned earlier, anything about an outbreak in Orlando will be two weeks delayed. Disney will still be there once the world has more time to figure out what's going on with this virus.

Exactly! My husband has asthma but even without it, Deet is poisonous to inhale. I do NOT want others spraying it around me in crowded spaces. Even on your skin it's only safe within certain doses. I really hope people don't go Deet spray crazy!!

The overspray is horrendous. Even skin so soft....yuck! Thankfully, I have some homemade recipes that work quite well. I'll be bringing it with me in Sept.

Thankfully, I have some homemade recipes that work quite well. I'll be bringing it with me in Sept.

Have your homemade recipes been scientifically tested and proven effective? If it has not, then you're just guessing about their effectiveness. Depending upon your location, travel history, and lifestyle factors, you could be taking unnecessary risks.

On the other hand, if your homemade products have been proven effective against this mosquito and Zika, please share the recipe! I'd love to avoid the stronger and stinkier ones.

- At Animal Kingdom today.
- There are sandwich boards around with Mosquito info everywhere.
- They had tables scattered about with spray you can put on and brochures.
- It did not appear you could take the spray, just use it right there at the table.
- Some lines, like character, CMs would do little Mosquito 101 while waiting during character changes.
- Lots of folks were applying their own, anywhere they stood, so be aware.
- Lovely smell of bug repellent throughout the park.
- I had some with me but did not use and was aware of no bugs.

6DE95A7F-9AF5-4DB1-9570-5ABB7EE061E5.jpg

My littles don't get DEET either. And I personally would never use it while pregnant. We use Cutter lemon eucalyptus.

I'm pregnant and have concerns about Deet so right now my hubby and I went the lemon eucalyptus route. Had an Ob appt yesterday and told her we don't feel comfortable using Deet and she totally agreed. She said she would rather have her patients use sprays with lemon eucalyptus, Picardin, or skin so soft. Down here, I keep hearing this commercial on the radio for Fit Organics mosquito repellent. It's supposed to be totally safe for pregnant women and children. I keep forgetting to look into it though.

Ok, I have been here in the sun, the clouds, before rain, during rain, after rain and any combination of the above.

I find myself a magnet for mosquitos. They love me, I can't blame them....

I have seen zero mosquitoes

I have zero bites and no one in my family has any bites.

The parks are giving out FREE bug spray. Walk up and they give you a mini bottle. I didn't take any because I don't need it, but it would covered my family of 4 multiple applications if we wanted.

FYI for anyone curious this week

We arrive in 2 weeks. Curious to if the expected rain over the next while will have any impact.

We arrive in 2 weeks. Curious to if the expected rain over the next while will have any impact.

Big rainfall yesterday. We came out of our room at CSR at about 8:45pm to watch the Star Wars fireworks. I got bit twice and a few mosquitos got into our room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter