• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone concerned about the "mosquito" talk?

I could certainly find this concerning for those wanting to become pregnant soon.

We're in our mid 30s and past any desire for more kids. We will still wear mosquito repellent nevertheless.

If we were trying to get pregnant we'd probably stay away since Disney isn't going anywhere, but we aren't and have no plans to at any point in our lives so I will continue my travels. There have been several cases of Zika in my home state but none locally transmitted yet so I can continue on for now. Not sure how I am going to feel when/if there are local cases though. I would hate to think that my actions directly resulted in something catastrophic for another family. Then again, by that point it may well be moot. :(

My husband is nervous for our trip to the world in October. We are done having more children but he is concerned there could be long term effects to this virus that we don't know about yet. He is worried about putting our kids health at risk. We are watching the outbreaks carefully but he may not want to keep our trip if it makes it to Orlando :(

My husband is nervous for our trip to the world in October. We are done having more children but he is concerned there could be long term effects to this virus that we don't know about yet. He is worried about putting our kids health at risk. We are watching the outbreaks carefully but he may not want to keep our trip if it makes it to Orlando :(
Ditto. We're not going to panic but if multiple cases start originating at WDW, have to think about it. I'm not at all convinced that the body of knowledge about this is deep enough. It would be a very tough decision after the planning excitement.

We have heard it's in Tampa. We have a trip planned in the fall to Sarasota so will wait to hear. I agree that it is hard to believe this illness will only affect a fetus. We are worried about the long term consequences in both adults and children.

DH and I are beyond the having kids years of our lives so it's not a concern for us however I would keep an eye on it if I were younger.

Im not planning on having any more children, so I'm not worried.......If I were pregnant, I'd probably avoid Florida

We are planning on another baby next year and now I'm starting to freak out. It's beyond our banking deadline for DVC. I have $500 worth of party tickets booked. And 2 kids that will probably cry for weeks if I cancel their birthday trips.

I absolutely stuck my head in the sand about this for months.

We are planning on another baby next year and now I'm starting to freak out. It's beyond our banking deadline for DVC. I have $500 worth of party tickets booked. And 2 kids that will probably cry for weeks if I cancel their birthday trips.

I absolutely stuck my head in the sand about this for months.

No advice because I just don't have any, but lots of hugs and positive vibes that you do what is right for you and your family.

I am not pregnant or would be anytime soon. We have been out of the country this summer to areas where we would have a larger chance of getting zika. We just wore repellent and were fine. So no we will not be canceling our Disney trip even if zika is in Orlando. If I was pregnant then it would be different situation. I never been bitten by a mosquito in Disney, but we never go in summer.

Always consult your own doctor of course, but I want to share what I just heard.

I live in South Florida (not Miami-Dade where there is active spreading), but in a county that has had a few cases pop up, but no active transmission. DH and I plan to expand our family at some point, and I asked my ob/gyn about Zika today at a normal appt.

My doctor's recommendations for women thinking about getting pregnant were daily bug spray (and for the partner too), wearing long sleeves and pants when possible, and to postpone getting pregnant until late fall at the earliest (to avoid the most active mosquito time here and so the first trimester lines up with winter).

I also specifically asked if there was any concern about going to Disney (we have a trip planned next month) w/people coming from around the world, and she said no. So we are planning on going, enjoying our trip, and just wearing a lot of bug spray.

Of course, we are keeping a close eye on the news, and if there was active transmission at or around Disney, we definitely wouldn't go... but for now, we are going to take the precautions we can but not live in fear of something we can't control.

This is our issue too. I wish my trip were now instead of 2 weeks from now as I feel 2 weeks is a long time for things to change with Zika. I've bought heavy duty bug spray and plan to be very diligent in applying it even though I get bit by more mosquitos in my own back yard daily than ever at Disney. We are worried about it but will still likely go and just be more much more careful than normal. We won't do as many outdoor resort activities as we had planned such as camp fires and movie nights and will avoid areas like Tom Sawyer Island where it seems more likely to have mosquitos just to be cautious.

It will happen eventually...Just takes one infected to on vacation to start another pocket.:worried:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter