• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone come to the Fort to camp and not do Disney?

teacup princess

DIS Veteran
Hi-

Can I join the camping club? We are picking up our first rig today. A new (never been titled) 2011 Durango fifth wheel. We are such newbies to the camping world. We went to Disney in January and stayed at AOA but I was thinking about planning a longer drive road trip with the new rv this summer to test it out and I kind of want to use my rewards points to stay a couple of nights at the Fort but we can't afford a full-fledged Disney vacation right now with tickets and the whole works. Does anyone go just to camp? Is there enough to do? Or would it be too much of a tease for the kids to be at Disney but not go to the parks? Any advice for newbie campers?

Thanks

The fort is beautiful and there is plenty to do. We've personally never been without going to the parks, but my parents do it for weeks at a time.

We have a 2011 Durango 5er - which model did you get? We love ours.

Lots of folks go just for the Fort. There's looping, horseback and pony rides, archery, Segway tours, water craft for rent, two pools, two Trading Posts, a couple of places to eat, etc. Also there is plenty other Disney stuff to do in the area that doesn't have to cost you a dime. Take some busses from the Outpost to other resorts and tour the facilities, observe the decor, eat in their facilities, walk or ride to the Wilderness Lodge, etc. We have also taken the boat to the entrance to the MK, and either taken the ferry to the TTC and Monorail to ride around and above EPCOT, or taken one of the monorails through the other Seven Seas Resorts. Go, Enjoy, and give that new rig a good workout!

Hi-

Can I join the camping club? We are picking up our first rig today. A new (never been titled) 2011 Durango fifth wheel. We are such newbies to the camping world. We went to Disney in January and stayed at AOA but I was thinking about planning a longer drive road trip with the new rv this summer to test it out and I kind of want to use my rewards points to stay a couple of nights at the Fort but we can't afford a full-fledged Disney vacation right now with tickets and the whole works. Does anyone go just to camp? Is there enough to do? Or would it be too much of a tease for the kids to be at Disney but not go to the parks? Any advice for newbie campers?

Thanks
Our family has been visiting the fort at least once a year for many years. Now that our kids are older we visit only at Christmas and have cut out other trips like March break. The last two visits we didn't go to any parks at all. There is lots to do at the Fort and in the Orlando area to keep us busy, and it usually doesn't involve shoveling snow which is a real bonus!

Hi-

Thanks

:welcome: to the world of camping!

Going to the Fort and not to the parks is a very personal decision. There are many who do just that.
We never go to FW just to camp, but always go to the parks. Even though it is a great cc we would never drive that far (670mi. for us) for a campground (even a great one ;)). We have some excellent cc's closer if we were just going for that. But, like I said, it's a personal choice, and there are lots of things to do there.

Have a great trip, and enjoy your new RV. :goodvibes

On our last 10 day visit to the Fort we only went to the parks 3 days. Had a wonderful time. Relaxing is important too.

We do parks about every other visit. We go for The Fort and there just happen to be theme parks close by. :upsidedow

There are plenty of things to do without parks, but since you have kids, I'm pretty sure they would want to do the parks also. But you don't have to spend the entire trip in the parks, just enough for them to feel like they had an actual 'Disney' vacation to tell their friends about (you know how kids are). It's a personal decision though, if you think your kids will be ok without the parks.

My DH and I once stayed without visiting the parks and we had an absolutely relaxing and enjoyable stay. We did like others suggested and visited different resorts, Downtown Disney, went to the Florida Zoo in Sandford, etc. That being said, we had no children with us on that visit. I guess how much you feel you are missing out on would depend on how your kids are with the parks being so close. I do remember, while sitting on the beach at the Fort, the boats would bring families back from the parks and the kids would be walking by with balloons, souvenirs, etc. Depending on their ages, it might be more difficult for them than for an adult to do the trip without the parks, but only you know your children. They will certainly be able to have a great time either way..it all depends on what you make of it. :thumbsup2

There is also LEGOLAND only about 45 min. trip. As adults we loved it. At Christmas there was a section about Star Wars.

It might be enough to do a day at Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach.

There are also the putt-putt golf courses (two of them) on the Disney property.

Plus add in a Downtown Disny day.

And campfire/singalongs at the Fort...

Plus the daily activities around the Meadow Pool area...

I think you could keep the kids engaged without going to the theme parks.

Bama ED

Thanks for all the reply's. It is nice to know there's plenty of other stuff to do. I never thought about Typhoon Lagoon. We've never been there and I didn't realize you could go without park tickets.

We have a 2011 Durango 5er - which model did you get? We love ours.

We got a 295bh. Testing it out in our driveway right now (without the water). Is that called dry camping? Plan to take it to my parents over Easter. So far I love it. The dealer kept telling us they'd never had any first time campers start off in a fifth wheel before. We never considered anything smaller. DH drives a fifth wheel cattle trailer all the time (I know, not the same) but I guess that helped us not to be intimidated by the size. We've only driven it home but he said it drove really nice.

Thanks for all the reply's. It is nice to know there's plenty of other stuff to do. I never thought about Typhoon Lagoon. We've never been there and I didn't realize you could go without park tickets.

The dealer kept telling us they'd never had any first time campers start off in a fifth wheel before. We never considered anything smaller. DH drives a fifth wheel cattle trailer all the time (I know, not the same) but I guess that helped us not to be intimidated by the size. We've only driven it home but he said it drove really nice.

Well, the water parks (I prefer Typhoon Lagoon myself) have their own admission ticket http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/tickets.htm#wpark. The cost is $52/adult and $44/child. My point in suggesting the WP is that they are less expensive than the daily theme park tickets. Make that day the pinnacle of your trip.

No apologies for starting in a Fiver. If DH is experienced on the road with one and has probably backed his cattle trailer so many times he could do it blindfolded, you are starting out with a definite advantage.

Enjoy it.

Bama ED

We got a 295bh. Testing it out in our driveway right now (without the water). Is that called dry camping? Plan to take it to my parents over Easter. So far I love it. The dealer kept telling us they'd never had any first time campers start off in a fifth wheel before. We never considered anything smaller. DH drives a fifth wheel cattle trailer all the time (I know, not the same) but I guess that helped us not to be intimidated by the size. We've only driven it home but he said it drove really nice.

Our first camper was a 5th wheel too. We never seriously considered anything else either, they just seem to make so much more sense to us. But of course, I grew up in a tent and then a pop up, so I guess I wasn't a first time camper, just a first time owner. :)

We have a different model, but we definitely like our Durango. Its our second camper, our first one was Keystone Copper Canyon. While we haven't been problem free (I'm not sure a problem free camper exists), we haven't had any serious issues.

bama_ed said:
Well, the water parks (I prefer Typhoon Lagoon myself) have their own admission ticket http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/tickets.htm#wpark. The cost is $52/adult and $44/child. My point in suggesting the WP is that they are less expensive than the daily theme park tickets. Make that day the pinnacle of your trip.

No apologies for starting in a Fiver. If DH is experienced on the road with one and has probably backed his cattle trailer so many times he could do it blindfolded, you are starting out with a definite advantage.

Enjoy it.

Bama ED

There is also an option for annual passes just for the waterparks. You can get Typhoon Lagoon & Blizzard Beach for $99 for 365 days. This is not a well known ticketing option for the waterparks.

Well, I just wouldn't be able to stand it! I just couldn't come all that way without going to at least Magic Kingdom! LOL! I may feel different if I lived in Florida. I guess thats like we go to Pigeon Forge and we may not go to Dollywood or Great Smokey Mountains National Park.

JSYK, Dry Camping means that you are camping without any hookups - no electricity, water, cable, sewer, etc. :thumbsup2

We have 3 kids (16, 13 and 10) and usually don't go to the parks. There is so much do without going to the parks. We go DT, waterparks, visit other resorts, ride the monorail, boat rides, ride bikes, campfire sing-a-long, movie, pool activities, golf cart, ride the loops at night and look at the decorations, and the list goes on. But with that said, we are usually there 2-3 times a year and my kids are very familiar with the parks.

If you think the kids will be too disappointed to visit Disney without going to the parks, you might want to consider a 1 day ticket with WPF&M added on. You get 2 WPF&M entries so you'd have 3 days worth of activities. Go to MK for a day and then you have 2 entries to go to a water park or DQ for a day. A 1 day MYW ticket with WPF&M is cheaper then a 2 day ticket.

We usually try to have APs, but even if we don't we go to tent camp at the Ft. for a couple of days here and there when we can go. Luxury camping!

We used to go rough it with the kids when we lived in NYC because NY State was so beautiful.

But then we moved to FL and I just can't rough it in a state park anymore-- the climate, the wild life, just not comfortable for me. We'd go to like KOAs but frankly they got really expensive... so if we're going to shell that out we might as well go camp in style at Disney.

Also I've had some health issues that make it harder. Being able to buy meals (instead of open fire cooking) & having a nice comfort station make it doable.

Between the pools, the movie at night, the campfire w/Chip & Dale, the free stuff like visiting other resorts or DTD, going somewhere to watch fireworks, etc... there is plenty to keep occupied and still relax.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter