Anyone care to help me out with a shipping service to transport a car?

FINFAN

Mom to Tinkbell
There are SO many! I am nervous about getting hit up with a bill from a broker if I submit for bids, and don't care for any...does anyone have a service they have used (door -to -door) that they can recommend?
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:disrocks:

It really is a racket and you have to be careful. Reliable is the best in the business.

I had a truck shipped a few years ago. One of the worst experiences in my life.

I had people take the job and not show up. People told me I HAD to use them "or else". No idea what that meant and no - didn't use them.

No matter who you think you're talking to - it's basically one company and they just broker the job to whomever takes it.

We've shipped two antique cars from Texas to Oklahoma to sell. I can't recommend a specific service in your part of the country but this is how I did it. I used a website to get several bids. I talked to the lower bidding services to make sure they weren't middle men who subcontract out (many of them are). That's where most people run into trouble. Read a lot of reviews. The first time we did it was about a year ago. We didn't have trouble with the shipment, but six months later when we needed to ship another car, that service had gone out of business.

Be careful, ask a lot of questions. Good luck.

We had a really bad experience with transporting our car from California to Virgina several years ago. We were told it would take about a week, it ended up taking over a month. We paid in full when we dropped off our car in CA, but when the car came in VA, the guy told us he needed $600 cash or he wouldn't release it to us--we called the police, but since the vehicle was still up on his carrier, the police told us there was nothing they could do. We finally got that straightened out by calling the person we actually had the contract with (JoeA is right, they end up subcontracting to someone else!) it took an extra 2 days and when they released our car, there was a huge dent in the hood that was NOT there when I dropped it off.

Never again. If we ever need a car moved again I will drive cross country myself.

contact your nearest military base - their welcome center is hwere the military personel have to sign in and sign out - they would have contact information of the businesses that they use. The businesses are generally civillian contractors anyway

Thanks everyone for the help I really appreciate it. Will look into the suggestions :flower:

How about finding a person you personally know and trust (a friend or relative maybe?) and ask them to drive the car to the destination for you. Pay the expenses of the trip (hotel on the way, their meals, the gas, etc) and fly them home afterward. I have a friend that lived in Fairfield county CT and he knew a lot of people that were snowbirds and spent the winter in Florida, and he had several of them that would buy him a round trip plane ticket. He'd drive the car to Florida in November and fly back here. Then in April/May he'd fly back down and drive their car home to CT. It would probably not cost any more than using a service and would be more likely to work out without issues.

How about finding a person you personally know and trust (a friend or relative maybe?) and ask them to drive the car to the destination for you. Pay the expenses of the trip (hotel on the way, their meals, the gas, etc) and fly them home afterward. I have a friend that lived in Fairfield county CT and he knew a lot of people that were snowbirds and spent the winter in Florida, and he had several of them that would buy him a round trip plane ticket. He'd drive the car to Florida in November and fly back here. Then in April/May he'd fly back down and drive their car home to CT. It would probably not cost any more than using a service and would be more likely to work out without issues.

My BF is retired military, and I did this for him more than once, since I was in college at the time. He would pay my flight to wherever the car was, and then my gas/food/hotel expenses to get him to him, then my flight home. Turned out cheaper for him, and he knew it was in the hands of someone he could trust. Just check with your insurance to make sure that the driver would be covered "just in case".

Terri

well relo costs are covered so shipping seemed the way to go, if I flew down to drive it to help out not sure my flight would be covered and need to do this soon so flights are kinda up there for under 21 days out. Still looking into things~ thanks though

Last edited:
FinFan,
Just sent you a message
I used Auto Shipping TLC 2 years ago to bring sons car from NV to TX - great experience (far superior to the only slightly cheaper company used the year before for DH's car)

Jerry Cohen at Auto Shipping TLC was great
http://www.autoshippingtlc.com/

My MIL used Intercity Lines to ship my FIL's classic car to my BIL (after FIL had passed away). ZERO issues and reasonable costs. It went in an enclosed trailer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter