• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone care to critique our schedule?

nednora

Earning My Ears
We're going to WDW for our 2nd family trip in February. We'll be there the 1st through the 8th, staying at the Polynesian. We have a 6 1/2 and a 4 year old (turns 4 during our trip). Here is what we have planned:

Fri: Arrive at 9:30, check in at hotel then head to MK (no resv.)
Sat: Pre-opening b'fast at Tusker House, AK all day, dinner at O'hana
Sun (Superbowl): Epcot (possible b'fast at 1900 Park), watch game in room
Mon: DD, lunch at T-Rex, head to MK for Elec. Light Parade
Tues (birthday!): Pre-opening b'fast at CRT
Wed: HS
Thurs: rope drop at MK 8:00; dinner at Epcot Garden Grill
Fri: (flight pick-up at 4:00) b'fast at O'hana, then let kids pick final day's activities (likely MK)

I'm trying to do a mix of low-key days and maximizing our time there. I'm contemplating switching up our AK & HS days, since we aren't maximizing EMH. But DH likes to take it slow on vacation, so getting to the park at 9 as opposed to 8 may work better for us.

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions would be much appreciated!

I say forget the superbowl. :rotfl2:
OR GO TO ESPN to watch the game. Although I am sure it will be super crowded. Then the kids could see the boardwalk if they start getting restless.

But everything else looks awesome! Have fun!

I'm trying to do a mix of low-key days and maximizing our time there. I'm contemplating switching up our AK & HS days, since we aren't maximizing EMH. But DH likes to take it slow on vacation, so getting to the park at 9 as opposed to 8 may work better for us.

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions would be much appreciated!

My best advice is that you spend the next month and a half convincing DH that you need to arrive by RD every day, not an hour later. You could start by mentioning to him that he'll be much more able to "take it slow" if he arrives when crowds are low and lines are short. Arriving later in the morning means you'll have to rush more to see the things that you want to see (which is, you know, the opposite of "taking it slow").

what time is the Electric parade?
how long to get back to the resort and get the kiddies to bed.
in order to have them up and raring to go by say 7am-- to get to a breakfast for 8am. for a day mid stay?

when you go to see the Electric parade will you do any touring?

I dont think our 5 year old or 6 year old could get through the week.
she doesnt nap at home-- but we took breaks mid day every day. and later sleep in a day here or there.

if you are not using the EMH I would avoid those parks.

I would not waste a day at DD with little kids when you have park tickets you can use that day. I might also switch Garden Grill to your Epcot day ( and yes miss the super bowl if you can not get an early ADR) and not have to go back to Epcot just for dinner, I also ALWAYS urge people to get to the parks at rope drop. It saves soooo much time with all you can do that first hour.

Sounds great. Lots of great CS at MK to keep you full.
AK is not a full day part at all. Tusker House is great pre-opening breakfast :) After O'hana, plan to stay and watch WISHES from beach of Poly - or if you have park hoppers hop to MK and watch it. Also - while at Poly, watch electric water parade
1900 Park is not near Epcot at all, not sure where you are staying. If at GF, yes perfect. Otherwise, think about breakfast at Princess Storybook in Norway. It's amazing and in Epcot.
Nice down day. Think about playing mini-golf. This time of year its harder to fill "days off" because you can't swim all day.
YAY! Great bday breakfast!
Sounds good!
Fri: (flight pick-up at 4:00) b'fast at O'hana, then let kids pick final day's activities (likely MK) We always do this too (let kids pick)! FUN!

According the the crowd calendar it has AK listed as a RED park this day.

Crowd calendar also has this as a RED day. Also i'd suggest another restaurant other than Garden Grill. Unless you've been to it beefore and liked it. We are NOT fans of the food there. One of the only restaurants in WDW that we will never return to.

Maybe you don't have all the details typed out, but I don't see a lot of going slow and relaxing.

Fri: Arrive at 9:30, check in at hotel then head to MK (no resv.) Sounds good!
Sat: Pre-opening b'fast at Tusker House, AK all day, dinner at O'hanaWe had this same day 2 weeks ago in our vacation with my 5 year old twins. We were at AK until 3, then napped before our 6:40 'Ohana. No way my kids would have made it through dinner with good cheer without a nap in there. My only regret was going to 'Ohana, was not delish.

Sun (Superbowl): Epcot (possible b'fast at 1900 Park), watch game in room Would absolutely skip the superbowl :rotfl2:
Mon: DD, lunch at T-Rex, head to MK for Elec. Light Parade If I had park tickets to use, I would skip DD and relax at the resort, lay around the room, then head to MK after a nap. You might feel a lot like you were at a park after being at DD.
Tues (birthday!): Pre-opening b'fast at CRT I wouldn't expect my kids or my husband who likes it slow to be up early after being out at night. Any chance you can do a later breakfast? Or maximize touring hours before CRT then hit CRT for lunch once it gets busier, like around noon?
Fri: (flight pick-up at 4:00) b'fast at O'hana, then let kids pick final day's activities (likely MK) If you're going to do a favorites day, I would skip the sit down meal and get to the favorites. Some attractions require a RD start to minimize lines and maximize your ability to hit all the favorites. I figured our favorites day to be only MK, but it was EP and MK. (was almost AK too!). Your favorites day might be a lot of transportation to happen before 4 PM, better to not waste time sitting and eating.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter