Anyone been to WDW in January???

Don't forget you can do laundry there! I'd only pack a couple of long pants and long sleeved shirts then do wash if needed. Also, cooler weather less sweat, I'd wear the same stuff more than once (not undies but pants/shirts) as long as I haven't dripped food all over myself, LOL

That is a good point! I wasn't thinking about actually not sweating the whole time we are in Disney!!

That is a good point! I wasn't thinking about actually not sweating the whole time we are in Disney!!

LOL:lmao: Just depends on your touring plan I guess and how fast your run to each attraction. I read some touring plans thinking there is No Way I could get my family to move that quick, LOL

We went January 2007 and it was BEAUTIFUL. We loved calling home because Oregon was having a big ice storm and we had 70-80 degree in Disney! We swam every day and just had a ball in SUN. The bad thing was we got on the plane wearing our summer clothes. I had packed the jackets and when we got back to Oregon it was still snowing and we were frozen. So my advice would be to check the weather at home for your flight back. :)

We will probably always got to WDW in January because of my husbands work and we just love that time. Lighter crowds (there are still people! Just lighter) and it is fun being in better weather then back home has. :) And lodging is cheaper in Disney at this time!

My grandparents use to live in FLA and we would visit during the cold north months and would always forget to dress warm on the way home!! LOL

love love love january park days. no sweat, no crowds, no lines, few closures (usually only major thing or less per park)

we swam each day and on the days some would consider cold, we would use the hot tub. also do Blizzard Beach, not to cold as they heat the water enough and no crowds

coldest temps have been record breakers for FL and that was high 30's in morning but even that day it was short sleeves by afternoon and heated pool in evening.

I think I'm a certifiable idiot for switching our trip to free dining in Sept. but who knows!

speaking from the North East so that colors "cold" for us I guess.

go and have a great time,you'll want to go back for sure. oh and ditto for Christmas decorations and such.

Thanks again to all who have taken the time to tell me about their January trips!! I appreciate it so much! :goodvibes

Anyone else have January tips, advice, stories???

Thanks again to all who have taken the time to tell me about their January trips!! I appreciate it so much! :goodvibes

Anyone else have January tips, advice, stories???

I ditto the thanks!!! Now to convince my ds to want to go, LOLOL. Did I say when I asked him if he would like to go for his birthday one year he said "not really":scared1: I don't know where I went wrong with him!!!;) I think after we go in September and he really remembers Disney and this time he will get to experience so much more, he'll come around, LOL. With my luck when we plan to go the Harry Potter thing will be open at Universal and he will want to go there!

We went Jan 2006. I know we were there on the 19th (my mom's bday) so I am thinking it was around the third week of Jan. Anyway I have to agree with everyone---- the crowds were minimal. The weather was perfect. I don't think we ever put on anything more than capris and tshirts. Have a great time.--- Mindy

Do you think it is necessary to get the Fantasmic dinner package in January?
We would like to try one of the restaurants at MGM that don't have the package next time!

Hi, we saw Fantasmic on Jan.3/07. We walked in about 15 minutes before the performance and got seats. They were over on the right hand side but still good seats. There really are no bad seats. We also wanted to go to Prime Time and Sci-fi. I think if you give yourself some time you can get a good seat without reserving. You can get there early and then buy the kids some snacks while waiting. If there are two showings, the second is always less crowded. Enjoy the show.

I think it is hit or miss on the weather. Sometimes we have been able to swim and other times not. Usually it is high of 75-80 and lows in the 50's. You need a wide variety of clothes. The parks close early but the crowds are low so you can get things done rather fast. We love that time of year. Others dont like the cooler weather. But we are from Delaware so it usually feels warm to us. Dinner ressies are easier to come by. It is just not as busy over all.

I don't want you to think because it easier to get into a restuarant not to make ressies. We were lucky because we did at 50's Prime time and they were not letting anyone in without them. We tried to change our time but they said no way, that they were so packed. This was mid January this year. So I will always make ADRs for our January trips.

It's our favorite time of year to go! And being from the Northeast, even if the temps dip, it's still likely going to be a heckuva lot warmer than it is at home. Our last trip we didn't get cold temps until the last day... the earlier part of the week was lovely.

You've already got a lot of answers here, but I'll throw in my two cents... we've been to WDW the past three years in January and love it! The weather is completely unpredictable - 80 degrees one day and 50 the next, so you have to pack for anything. But, since you are from the North, you'll appreciate that it's still warmer than home.

The pools are heated - they are steaming when you come back to the room at night - so you can swim anytime. Just have a towel near the pool so you can wrap up as soon as you step out of the water. :)

We typically take a fleece sweatshirt or light jacket (never a coat) and wear layers so we can peel them off if it warms up. We also never go to the parks without our gloves - those mini stretchy kind work great!.

This year was the first time we experienced rainy days - Epcot Future World works great for a rainy day because almost everything is in a pavillion, so you are rarely outside.

Watch the weather closely and try to plan your schedule around it... we did Epcot World Showcase on our hot day and AK on the other warm day.

Thank you everyone SO MUCH for all the advice and tips and links. Please keep them coming!!!!!

So when you say you had to wear winter coats, what was the actual temp? I'm thinking maybe it won't seem so cold to us being from PA!

So far the only real downside I can see to going in January is the extra packing and the possibility of some of our favorite attractions being under rehab. . .

Loving the thoughts of no crowds!!! We normally avoid EMH's because of the crowds. Are the EMH's not that crowded in January then?

Again, thanks so much!

We went in 06 (with both sets of our parents so it was 9 of us) and I took new winter coats, more like fall ones with fleece on the inside and we NEEDED them every morning with a sweatshirt under. Then as the day progressed we would shed layers, down to our tee shirts and then as night came add them back.

We didn't go with the intention to swim and no way would have that week but we did see others at our hotel.

We loved it and are planning on going again in 09 also with our parents again, health willing.

Maybe we will see you there! Where are you planning on staying? I think we are going to POR since it can sleep 5.

We went in 06 (with both sets of our parents so it was 9 of us) and I took new winter coats, more like fall ones with fleece on the inside and we NEEDED them every morning with a sweatshirt under. Then as the day progressed we would shed layers, down to our tee shirts and then as night came add them back.

We didn't go with the intention to swim and no way would have that week but we did see others at our hotel.

We loved it and are planning on going again in 09 also with our parents again, health willing.

Maybe we will see you there! Where are you planning on staying? I think we are going to POR since it can sleep 5.

Thanks! We are thinking about staying at Coronado Springs next time! We would like to try all the moderates. We absolutely loved Caribbean Beach, POFQ was pretty nice too, we did get a look at POR while we were at POFQ, so that leaves Coronado Springs! We are thinking the 3rd or 4th week of January 2009. . . What week will you go? We'll have to get a Jan. 2009 thread going when it gets closer!!! :rotfl:

Oh - PaulaSue, what part of PA are you from?

Thanks again everyone for responding! I really do apprecate it! Please keep the advice coming. I told DH - the one thing I have been told over & over is that we are going to need to pack a lot, so we need to buy some more luggage!

South Central PA, near Harrisburg and Lancaster. :goodvibes How about you?

Last time we went Jan 15-Jan 21 over some of our B-days so probably be about the same time frame.

We are more than likely gonna go the week of the 6th. BUT-the marathon is that coming weekend, so can anyone tell me if they have been during that? If so, does the crowd grow dramatically? We can go any time that month, but if we choose that weekend we could still see Christmas decor. It's not a deciding factor,tho. I just want minimal crowds!! If we don't do the 6th we will probably move it to around the 20th-is that any slower?:rolleyes:

Somebody has got to help me figure this out!!!!! Thanks!!

Hi, we've been twice in Jan(2006 & 2007) and one was during the marathon week. The best part about the marathon week is that the runners are limping around the parks and you can always beat them to the rides. Ha Ha. Just a fun joke. I did feel sorry for a lot of them. Overall the weather was warm during the days and cool at night. Take a coat. I wore long pant and a short sleeve shirt all day and a thin coat at night. We didn't swim but I saw a lot of people in the pool. The crowds in the parks were great and we never really waited long for a ride. Splash Mtn was closed this year and that really hurt since it is my favorite ride. Overall go in Jan it's a great time, Enjoy, Stephanie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter