Anyone been to WDW in January???

Momof2Disneyboys

DIS Veteran
Because of possibly going with other family members, vacation schedules, etc, we are considering changing our next trip to January 2009.

Any advice? How's the weather? Too cool for swimming? How late are the parks open? Do they still do Wishes, Fantasmic, and Illuminations nightly this time of year? How about parades?

WOW that was a lot of questions! :scared1:

I realize that there are probably a lot of closures, rehabs, & renovations going on at that time of year. . . Because it is the slowest time of year, right???

Thanks so much! pixiedust:

We went the first week in Jan, and people were swimming. Winter weather in the south is crazy, I'd bring suits just in case. We didn't have them, and we wished we did.

Plug your dates in here for some weather history:

http://www.wunderground.com/tripplanner/index.asp

But be prepared for almost anything weather-wise. You could have warm days with cool mornings, or mornings near freezing with afternoons in the 40s or low 50s.

As for park hours, check here for historical info going back about 5 years:

http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/calendar/historical/archive/default.asp

Also, January 2008 hours will be released around July 1, so you can use those as a general guide. But keep in mind that past performance is no guarantee of future results!

January is actually my favorite time to go! We have gone 3 times in January since 2002. The weather can be unpredictable. But, we are NYers and 60 is warm to us. Lol So, we LIKE that weather. One year I have pictures of us at MGM in our winter coats, but that same trip I have pictures of us swimming in 75 degree weather. So, unpredictable. But FUN!

The hours are not as extensive, but IIRC they still do everything, just not as often. I am going in January 08 for a girls long weekend with my friend!

We went to WDW in January 2006. Ir was actually REALLY cold while we were there, like record setting lows. That said, we still went to Blizzard Beach lol. In fact, there were 4 other people in the park other than us for awhile, before it warmed up. That was definately fun.

It was warm during the days, and lots of people were swimming, but the nights got pretty chilly. The parks were open late with Extra Magic Hours, and I don't really remember how late they were open normally, but I think the hours were pretty normal. 8 or 9? Something like that. We didn't really watch any fireworks shows, but they happened nightly. I think the parades were as normal as well. We went in Early January (the 4th through the 11th I believe) and the Christmas Decorations were still up, which was awesome.

The parks were pretty empty, and while some things were down for rehab, it wasn't really a lot. Buzz Lightyear was closed, but that's the only thing I clearly remember being closed because we were upset about it! Something else closed during our stay as well. Sorry, the details are a little fuzzy!

We really enjoyed our trip, and would book another vacation at that time of year without hesitation. There were a lot of college students there on Winter Break, but we stayed at Pop Century, so that's probably why it was so noticeable. The bus line to downtown Disney at night was REALLY long! When we got on from another hotel though, it was deserted. Looks like you stay at the moderates though, so you shouldn't have that problem.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask! I have a trip report somewhere that I can dig up, or look at my passporter if you need details!

We went in Jan. 2005 and Jan. 2006. It wasn't really warm enough to swim in 2006, but we did! We went to BB one day and it was okay-not that warm, but fine. Jan. 2005 we didn't do any water parks (TL is closed at that time) however, we did go swimming at the resort. It was really cold though! :cold:

Parks aren't open as late as summer, of course. And not all entertainment is offered, everyday. But if you check the calendar, before you go, you'll be able to plan your days. Have fun! Crowds are non-existent! :cloud9:

We are more than likely gonna go the week of the 6th. BUT-the marathon is that coming weekend, so can anyone tell me if they have been during that? If so, does the crowd grow dramatically? We can go any time that month, but if we choose that weekend we could still see Christmas decor. It's not a deciding factor,tho. I just want minimal crowds!! If we don't do the 6th we will probably move it to around the 20th-is that any slower?:rolleyes:

Somebody has got to help me figure this out!!!!! Thanks!!

We were there with the marathon last year, and were in Epcot while they were running, but crowds were still low. The weekend is busier anyway. Most of the people there for the marathon that I talked to only stayed one or two extra days anyway, if at all, so I wouldn't worry about the marathon.

We went back in '95 (I think) and wore shorts/tees the whole trip. However, our friends went a few years ago and wore their winter coats in the parks.

Hi, We were there this year from Jan 1-8 and the weather was great. The kids swam every day. we had only one day of rain and the rest of the time it was beautiful. They have all the parades going ,spectro was running three times during our stay so we made sure we saw it. The decorations were great. Crowds were steady but managable. We didn't really notice a difference with the marathon. We just swam at the hotel until noon and then went to MGM. The bus drivers were recommending not to visit the parks in the morning. Splash mountain was closed and so was RnR so that was a drag but we enjoyed everything else.

We love January. it is our favorite time of the year. We go mid January avoiding MLK and it is very low crowds. Weather can be ANYWHERE, so you need to plan layers and take a little bit of everything. DS has always swam in the Winter at WDW but I think it is pretty cold getting out most days.

Hours are shorter but you can get so much more done anyway. All night activites go on but some are only on certain days.

:thumbsup2 We visited Disney this January and had a great time! The weather was up and down! Winter jackets some days, but shorts and t-shirts the rest of the week with sweatshirts in the mornings and evenings.The kids even managed to get a night or two of swimming back at the hotel. :) Park hours are shorter, but less crowds. I think I have been spoiled by no lines!!! I could not imagine waiting longer than 20 minutes for rides!!! We are planning to go back, might try Jersey week in November 08, but January 09 just might win!:cool1:

Most of my 30 some trips to WDW have been in the winter months. I love to go then. It does require a bit more packing. Our last winter trip was Jan 2005. I always pack a for everything. It seems like mornings and night time gets pretty cold. I pack jeans and t's mostly. I have a few sweatshirts I take and I usually start the day with the sweatshirt and remove it when I am comfortable. I take a couple pairs of jean shorts to change into if I want. We get lockers to hold things at the parks. I take our swim gear, and if there is a really nice day to swim, we do it. We are flexible with our schedule. When we stayed in the parks late for EMH, we were back into sweatshirts and even gloves and hats.

Thank you everyone SO MUCH for all the advice and tips and links. Please keep them coming!!!!!

So when you say you had to wear winter coats, what was the actual temp? I'm thinking maybe it won't seem so cold to us being from PA!

So far the only real downside I can see to going in January is the extra packing and the possibility of some of our favorite attractions being under rehab. . .

Loving the thoughts of no crowds!!! We normally avoid EMH's because of the crowds. Are the EMH's not that crowded in January then?

Again, thanks so much!

I'm looking at a 2009 calendar, and based on when Christmas is, I would guess that most school districts will resume school on Jan. 5. That's just a guess based on past school calendars, but if that turns out to be true, I would think it would mean less crowds.

We've gone twice at the end of December, beg. of Jan., the time we wore jackets, it was probably in the 40's at the coldest time of the day. We're from GA, so 40 is pretty cold to us.

We went in January the last 2 years and enjoyed both trips. The big problem was packing - I packed for every kind of weather and we experienced it all! We swam in 78 degree weather one day and were wearing ponchos and gloves with our double layered sweatshirts and jeans 2 days later.

The hours were shorter, but there weren't a lot of rehabs. Splash Mountain was closed this January when we went, but that was the only major one that I remember. I think they stagger them pretty evenly so all the majors aren't out for rehab in one visit - I think Pooh closed right after SM re-opened. I believe only one of the water parks was open.

The parks did close earlier, but we were able to get so much done (minimal waits on everything) that it didn't really matter. If I remember correctly, Wishes was performed at 6:30pm (or 7:00pm?) two nights of our visit due to various events that were taking place - that was actually nice because we could see it and get back to our room at an early hour with the little ones.

I've already warned my 5 year old that she will have to wait in lines for our next trip (April 2008) - she thought waiting 15 minutes for Peter Pan was insanely long!!!

I'm going to miss our Jan trips.

We went in January the last 2 years and enjoyed both trips. The big problem was packing - I packed for every kind of weather and we experienced it all! We swam in 78 degree weather one day and were wearing ponchos and gloves with our double layered sweatshirts and jeans 2 days later.

Yes, I am dreading the thoughts of packing all the extra clothes!! That will be a huge pain. I may have to get more luggage. Of course we will be wearing our winter coats, leaving here in January! :cold:

Don't forget you can do laundry there! I'd only pack a couple of long pants and long sleeved shirts then do wash if needed. Also, cooler weather less sweat, I'd wear the same stuff more than once (not undies but pants/shirts) as long as I haven't dripped food all over myself, LOL

I'm looking at going the end of Jan either '09 or '10. The school system here has a few days off and a few 1/2 days all in a week and a half due to High school testing. Not really sure why they give the elementary and middle schools the time off....but I'll take it. :) I told DH with DS starting middle school next fall ('07) we have 3 years to take advantage of the 1/2 days. Since we are going in Sept 07 I don't think we can swing a Jan 08 trip. Though, if that Harry Potter park opens we might have to do that and only a day or 2 at WDW :eek: for the kids sake....LOL.... Huge Harry Potter fans!

January is our favorite time to go. Not too hot for the parks, but still swam everyday (we are from Canada) Maybe the lifeguards looked at us funny as a few days they had on touques, heavy jackets, gloves ...lol

On the serious side, when we went last year from Dec 29 - Jan 11 we had excellent weather everyday....shorts & swimming. The marathon days were hot & humid!

Cant wait for this Jan :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter