Anyone been to Saint Augustine with kids?

tartangirl

DIS Veteran
Hi,

Having been visiting Orlando for the past few years we are considering taking a few days out from the parks to do something different next year (July).

We're not beach people so dont fancy St Petes or Clearwater but I have heard Saint Augustine is a great place to visit although from what I've read it seems a more adult/romantic city. :lovestruc

Could anyone who's been give a view as to whether Saint Augustine is a good place to visit with children (10 & 12) - remembering we're taking a break from Orlando (so no parks, alligator shows, and DH says no shopping malls :faint: ).

Look forward to your views

St. Augustine is a very historic, but beautiful city. Don't know if they kids would really be 'interested' in it, but its a lovely place to visit. Savannah, Ga just up the coast is also very nice. Try taking one of the 'ghost tours', or some kind of horse-carraige tour. They're alot of fun.

Well, having been to St. Augustine as a kid (about 15 years ago now), I'd say its definately more of an adult city. After the excitement of Orlando, the kids will just want to go back there. It is a very nice city, and we are planning on going there when we go back to Orlando next year, but as a kid, my only real memories of it are a lot of walking, a very old school house, and a Woolworths in the centre of the town!

Thanks for the info.

It looks like Saint Augustines will be put on hold - still want to go sometime as it sounds such a lovely place.

hi
i don't know if the children are boys or girls but my son enjoyed the canon firing on the castle rampart/walls it was suitably loud and lots of gunpowdwr. the sight seeing trolleys are fun you can either stay on and go straight round or get on and off when you please. there is a wonderful pizza place which i believe is called the alley way,also a pastry shop calles the bunnery which has cinnamon buns with warm icing on!! i really don't eat my way round my holiday! we really enjoyed it

I'm so pleased to read this thread as St Augustine is somewhere I've had on my (ever growing! ;) ) 'to do' list for some time now.

From what's been said here, it's definitely moving higher up the list :)

we are going to visit on our trip next week, it seems a lovely place, can't wait to visit!

Kerryc said:
we are going to visit on our trip next week, it seems a lovely place, can't wait to visit!
looking forward to hearing all about it when you get back
enjoy your trip

HI, I have been to St. Augustine for 2 weeks for the last 9 years and never tire of it. It is the oldest city in the US and can be alot of fun. Of course they have no rides there like WDW but they do have alot of fun things to do with children. My grandchildren come with us almost every year and they love to go to the old Fort (can't remember the name). It is a resort town so there are alot of things to do. The only time I would say that it isn't for children is if they are very small. :flower:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter