Anyone been to Munich?

gemmybear83

<font color=royalblue>I would blame it all on Bob<
Thinking about a short break to Munich around next Spring, anyone been before?:thumbsup2

I have and it is an absolutely beautiful city. I am one for just getting up and going somewhere with my kids and for some reason, having done Berlin and loved it, I decided I would love to try Bavaria.
The city is beautiful and the centrepiece is Mariensplatz, which is a square right in the centre of the city. You have to go there to take in the atmosphere and sit in one of the many cafes nearby (often there are musicians playing classical music) and drink some very good German coffee. A few minutes walk away there is the Viktualienmarkt, the food market with lots of different types of food on sale as well as a biergarten. Climbing the steps in St Peters church which is right alongside is also a must. At the top of the 300 and something steps you will have the most fabulous view over the city.
The transport system is integrated and for up to five people (I think) you can get a ticket for around 40 euros which covers up to five days (oops could be three but worth every penny).
We stayed in the No1 rated hotel - Laimer Hof which is several kilometres from the city but is absolutely no problem getting to when you have buses, trams, underground and trains at every corner. It is no more than a B&B but what makes it special is the amazing service from the owner and his wife. They 'sit' you down and tell you everything you need to know about getting around and where to go and see. Accommodation is expensive in Munich and this was a total gem and not at all dear.
On our second day we decided we wanted to go the Alps. The Alps are only around 40 mins outside the city. The scenery was amazing. Our tour (again the top rated tour from the city) visited the fairytale castles of Linderhof and Neuwanschtein. Neuwanschtein is the castle that Walt Disney drew his inspiration from when building the castle in Disneyland. It is also the one used in the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang film.
Oh what a truly magical day that was and when you have a 17 yr old and 19 yr old say that it was one of the best days of their lives, you get the picture. We also visited Oberammagau (home of the passion play) with its fairy tale houses and beautiful scenery.
On the third day we visited the nearby Nympenburg Palace (home of the Bavarin royal family). It is stunning. We also caught the train to Dachau - just 20 mins from the centre of Munich. It was totally sobering but in my eyes a must do.
I have done a trip report with lots of photos if you would like me to post it. I dont know if I can post a non Orlando trippie in the UK trip report section but I can tell you that our trip to Munich was amazing. I cant wait to go back.
In fact my son has just left for Munich today as he works for a Munich based firm. :)

Maggs

Thank you for your long post :)

Do you mind me asking who you booked your tour with to go to Neuwanschtein? This is a must see for us, and it looks like you can get there on public transport but would be interesting to compare the price of a tour?

We booked it with Viator on line and printed off the vouchers before we went. We then caught the bus in the morning across from the main railway station (Hauptbahnhof) beside the Karstadt store. The bus which is a lovely modern vehicle with an upper deck leaves at 8.30am. We sat upstairs so that we could take lots of photos of the Alps, Alpine pastures and beautiful onion dome churches as we travelled. Hope this helps.

Wow what an amzing time. I would love to read your Trip Report. We are in the beginning stages of planning a Southern Germany trip and I want as much info as possible. :) Plus you sound like you did the things I want to do with my family, public transportation, Neuschwanstein castle and Dachau. :)

How funny that this got bumped!!

We just decided to visit Munich and Schwangau (for Neuschwanstein) today!

Flights are an amazing price at the moment, I adore Germany and Jack loves castles, so we're super excited!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter