Anyone been to Harry Potter World yet with a DSLR?

NLD

DIS Veteran
Hi all.

Planning a September trip to Disney, with a one-day diversion to Islands of Adventure to see the Harry Potter sights.

Has anyone been there yet with a DSLR?

I am trying to figure out if there's any earthly way to get a DSRL onto the Forbidden Journey ride. ;) Apparently they'll let you keep a waist bag / fanny pack on, but make you put shoulder bags and backpacks in lockers. Does anyone know if they'll let you keep a camera around your neck?

I'm figuring there's no hope for the D700. But I'm hanging onto this hope about D60 with the 35 1.8 DX lens. If I brought JUST that body with lens attached (and a ziplock bag in a pocket for rain /water rides).... Hmmmmmm.

Is this a pipe dream? Anyone been there?

There's no way in "you know where" they'll let you on with a dslr. I wish they did though; even if for the purpose of just getting pics of the queue. :sad1:

And unless they loosened their restrictions, I'd say that it'd be hard to get on with a waist bag. When I was there a month ago, I saw a woman with a tiny bag strapped across her body (a pretty thin strap too); and I was right there when the lady told her she had to go back downstairs and put it in a locker. And that thing could've fit in her pocket. BUT, since it was right before boarding the ride, I think that after they put their stuff in the locker, they were able to get back where they were. Because there was a 'last chance' exit door there.

So maybe you could try that?!?!?! :confused3 Just take your camera through the line, and see if you can go put it away before boarding, then hop back in your place??? There would be no way to get any decent pictures on the ride though. It's fast-moving, and all over the place.

Thanks Scott. But.... shoot. (No pun intended.)

Really really want it, even if just to get some decent low-light pics in the queue.

I keep looking at it and wondering if there are women's shorts with big enough cargo pockets to somehow stuff it in a pocket.... :rotfl: Maybe men's cargo shorts? :rotfl2: Not above sacrificing fashion here... :rotfl2:

How big are the lockers?

Oooooh. Just checked out your flickr and saw you have some Harry Potter pics up. Very nice. :thumbsup2

Edited to add: Love the Hog's Head one!

Thanks!!!!!

The lockers are big enough to fit a medium sized backpack in. I have a Lowepro Pro Runner 200 AW; if it means anything. I could JUST squeeze it in there; and I had a few inches (from front to back) left in there, and like 2 inches at the top..... at least that what it seemed like.

Here are my bag dimensions:

11.8W x 6.7D x 14H in.

That does help, thank you. Considering a Think Tank Urban Disguise 30 for this trip and it looks like it'll fit since your Lowepro did.

I FOUND YOUR SOLUTION!!!!!!!!!!!!

;)

hammer-pants.png

I have been. While I was walking around it was obviously no problem. Going on the castle ride however they would not let me take my rebel with. I think that they will let you go through the queue then exit before you ride. I could be wrong. Pretty much all of Universal is ridiculously strict when it comes to bags or cameras on rides.

I am trying to figure out if there's any earthly way to get a DSRL onto the Forbidden Journey ride. ;) Apparently they'll let you keep a waist bag / fanny pack on, but make you put shoulder bags and backpacks in lockers. Does anyone know if they'll let you keep a camera around your neck?
I haven't been there, but from what I've seen, I think they use the over-the-shoulder restraint system like on rollercoasters that go upside down (like RockNRollercoaster)... trying to take a photo in a harness like that would quite a challenge. Not impossible - I have certainly taken photos on RnRC waiting for the takeoff - but not easy. You would definitely want a handstrap!

The MC Hammer pants would be a decent way of hiding them but you'd probably need suspenders to hold them up once full of camera gear! Funny, we were just watching that video the other day... gotta love the 80s! :lmao: (OK, 1990, close enough...)

I haven't been there, but from what I've seen, I think they use the over-the-shoulder restraint system like on rollercoasters that go upside down (like RockNRollercoaster)... trying to take a photo in a harness like that would quite a challenge. Not impossible - I have certainly taken photos on RnRC waiting for the takeoff - but not easy. You would definitely want a handstrap!

The MC Hammer pants would be a decent way of hiding them but you'd probably need suspenders to hold them up once full of camera gear! Funny, we were just watching that video the other day... gotta love the 80s! :lmao: (OK, 1990, close enough...)

That is exactly correct. I forgot to mention that part of it. There is also no spot to store anything near your feet. You legs just hang there.

If anyone is desperate for on-ride photos, there are some shots here that were taken with a cell phone (so don't expect stunning quality) when the ride broke down. It's interesting seeing the big Kuka arms that power the whole thing. From the description of the ride I've read, you'd have a very hard time getting a decent shot on the ride anyway, with lots of fast motion through real sets and a fair amount of time looking at projected movies - just think how hard it is to get a good shot on HM or Peter Pan in slow-moving vehicles!

Sounds like a fun ride but it'll probably be a fair number of years before I get back to Universal... probably will wait until my son's in his teens.

edit: Looks like Disboards doesn't want any competition! They wiped out the hotlink. A simple Google search should find the thread.

When we were there in June they would not allow any bags even when standing in line. You were forced to store any bags in the lockers. You could easily carry a PNS in your pocket. This ride is fun but not for the squeamish. It's a tough ride to get photos because it is constantly moving and things are literally in your face.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter