• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone been to Big Buddha?

littlejen22

DIS Veteran
Y kids will be 8 1/2 and 6 1/2 and I am trying to figure out if it is worth the trip. The kids like the idea but they don't really understand how much walking will be involved. If we do it will we be glad we did or think it was a tourist trap. DD gets car sick so we would take the cable car but DH is scared of heights, he survived the cable car at Ocean Park but holds on for dear life.

We went to the Big Buddha and thought it was a great day's out. But that's a personal viewpoint and you might find it a tourist trap.

If it helps, my pictures of our time there will be found in Day 6. It does include pictures of some of the cable car trip, which is significantly longer than the cable car trip at Ocean Park. Head to the second post for the quick links.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2823458

I think we left before 8 in the morning. We were staying in the Hung Hom area. It took us about 45 minutes or so to get to Lantau Island. I think we went on Good Friday; so the cable car was opened from 9 am. I would recommend that you check opening hours for when you plan to visit. I think it's opened at 10 am on most weekdays and 9 am on weekends and public holidays.

I think we left the top at about 1 or 2 pm. We did spend time walking inside the Buddha and also going to the temple. And we did the highly tourist traps of the two 'shows' at the village. The village can be a bit of a tourist trip; but if you keep heading to the Buddha and the Monastery, I think you might enjoy the cultural experience that it can be.

YMMV as you will have your kids with you. Mine was 12 during that trip and he was happy to go with the flow.
If your DS isn't good with heights, go with the standard cable car.

Zanzibar138 is also back on the boards. I'm sure she'll get in here at some stage and provide her viewpoint of the Big Buddha.

My daughter and I went for a day trip, when we stayed at Hong Kong Disney. We took the train over to Tung Chung, it was an easy walk over to the terminal station and then took the cable car up. I am afraid of heights but I did enjoy the cable car ride. The view was amazing. I would recommend getting there early. I wanted to get there at 10:00 but my daughter was a bit slow in the morning and it was closer to 11:00 and the line was huge and we had a long wait.
We walked around and really enjoyed ourselves. We walked up the steps to the Big Buddha there are 260 steps. I am 60 and I am in pretty good shape, I walk and I bike ride so I was able to do the steps without an issue.

My husband is afraid of heights. He finds the cable car at Ocean Park TERRIFYING, but the one to Ngong Ping is ok for him. He says it is because it's enclosed.

I haven't done the shows at Ngong Ping, but we always go when we're in HK and consider it a relaxing day. Compared to the hustle and bustle of Kowloon, it's quite peaceful.

Zanzibar138 is also back on the boards. I'm sure she'll get in here at some stage and provide her viewpoint of the Big Buddha.

This may be hard to believe, but I've actually never made it to Ngong Ping! It has been on the list every time, but first time we went the cable car was down for maintenance, and second trip it was just too rushed. It's still on the list and I REALLY hope to go next time!

On part of another outing from HKDL, we did go past the cable car station, and it was so easy to get to. Take the train to Sunny Bay station, then take the next train all the way to Tung Chung at the end of the line. From there, you just cross the road to the cable car station. I think it would be a super easy and fun day out if you're staying at Disneyland. Definitely makes sense to do it while you're there rather than from HK proper.

I think it's definitely worth a trip. The air is so refreshing and it's great to be in the mountains. My dad is terrified of heights but he braved the ride. Just don't pay extra for the Crystal cabins with the see through floor

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter