• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone been to American Girl in Chicago & NY? Which is better?

roliepolieoliefan

DIS Veteran
I am taking my 7 yo DD to one of the AG stores for her 8th birthday in September or somewhere around that time.
We are debating between NY and Chicago. Both are about the same distance from where we live.

Anyone been to both stores? Which one is better? pros and cons of either?

Haven't been to both, but we loved the Chicago AGPlace! We're going back in April.

I'm curious too, but we are thinking either NYC or Atlanta in August.

OP - We haven't done NYC but have visited Chicago and ATL....I don't know that you could go wrong between NYC or Chicago, aren't they and LA the "big" stores? We loved Chicago. VERY, VERY nice.

If you are debating NYC and Atlanta do NYC. DD and I were not impressed with ATL. It was small, crowded, and the bistro was overpriced for what it was. The difference, to me, was that Chicago felt like a "world" of American Girl but in ATL it was very obviously a mall store. Also, the displays, were much nicer in Chicago. Now, if I lived in or near ATL then I'd go there lots (and the meal, for a one time thing, was "ok") but we don't. It was 9 hrs to Chicago and, with traffic jams and whatnot, 7.5 to ATL for us. If we had to choose between the two for another trip it would be Chicago all the way. If it was a once in a lifetime thing, again, I'd go with Chicago (or in your case NYC.)

We went to the old one in Chicago, not their new location. The one in NYC is bigger than the old one in Chicago.

And I prefer NYC as a destination. Marriot Times Square has an American Girl package--when I was playing around with dates, it wasn't any more than a regular room rate, but they included a bed for the American Girl.

Considering this for a solo trip with my 10yo in the next year or 2.

OP - We haven't done NYC but have visited Chicago and ATL....I don't know that you could go wrong between NYC or Chicago, aren't they and LA the "big" stores? We loved Chicago. VERY, VERY nice.

If you are debating NYC and Atlanta do NYC. DD and I were not impressed with ATL. It was small, crowded, and the bistro was overpriced for what it was. The difference, to me, was that Chicago felt like a "world" of American Girl but in ATL it was very obviously a mall store. Also, the displays, were much nicer in Chicago. Now, if I lived in or near ATL then I'd go there lots (and the meal, for a one time thing, was "ok") but we don't. It was 9 hrs to Chicago and, with traffic jams and whatnot, 7.5 to ATL for us. If we had to choose between the two for another trip it would be Chicago all the way. If it was a once in a lifetime thing, again, I'd go with Chicago (or in your case NYC.)

Thanks for the scoop on the ATL store! Might have to reconsider our summer plans :)

I know American Girl is meant for girls up to age 12 or so, but do you think my DD 9 would be "too old" for her first American Girl doll? She is just now building an interest in American Girl, primarily due to us checking out a couple of the magazines and books at our library and we decided to subscribe to the magazine because it seems appropriate for her age range. Now that we have begun to get the catalogs she really wants the doll and some of the outfits, etc. Since the doll is near $100, do you think it would be a waste to purchase this for her since she may only still be into AG for about another year or so?

We did the NYC one and it was AWESOME! We have an AG store here in MN at the Mall of America that we have been to many times but it is NOTHING compared to NYC!

There are window displays for each time period doll that are very neat. There is a photo studio that girls can get their photo taken on a replica cover of an AG magazine with or without their favorite doll. They have a place to make custom t-shirts. I am pretty sure Chicago is similar as one of my good friends have taken her girls there and it sounds very similar.

I think when making the decision on which one you want to go to it will depend on which city you would prefer to visit. There was very little that we liked about NYC. The AG Place and statue of Liberty/Ellis Island were the main things we liked. But then we visited in the winter and we are not winter people at all.

My DD 11 just got her 1st one ....she just started showing interest about 6 months ago but I waited teh 6 months to make sure it was not just a quick passing thing. Now we are planning a girls trip to the AMG store in NY this spring with her best friend!

We've been to both NYC and Chicago (new location). If I were you, I'd pick NYC. It's much bigger and I like the lay-out of cafe there a bit more. My dd's and I spent three hours there a few weeks ago....

Also, if you are making a trip of it, you can do other NYC-related fun right within walking distance from the AG store (Rockefeller Center, NBC Studios, Radio City, FAO Schwartz, et).

Chicago's is a in a good location too....but I would go with NYC.

We have been to the one in Atlanta and the one in Chicago. Atlanta is a small scale store.

Chicago was wonderful. They have the picture area where you can get your face on a magazine. They have a book area, bitty baby area, and historical dolls on one floor.

Then you go up stairs and you have your dolls that look like the girls. Towards the back of that you have the salon and hospital. There is an area where you can make a tshirt for your doll. There is the cafe. We didnt eat so I cant comment on that. There is a counter area where you can buy snacks. We got cup cakes, lollipops and candy bars.

Everyone is very helpful and nice.

Mrsdennison

I know American Girl is meant for girls up to age 12 or so, but do you think my DD 9 would be "too old" for her first American Girl doll? She is just now building an interest in American Girl, primarily due to us checking out a couple of the magazines and books at our library and we decided to subscribe to the magazine because it seems appropriate for her age range. Now that we have begun to get the catalogs she really wants the doll and some of the outfits, etc. Since the doll is near $100, do you think it would be a waste to purchase this for her since she may only still be into AG for about another year or so?

I don't know if anyone posted back to you on this but..My Dd11 started to 'get into' AG at age 9, after years of having NO interest in dolls. She's had friends who have TONS of dolls and she's never had an interest. Then suddenly she found the Bitty Baby she got for her first christmas and suddenly she was interested.

Because we weren't sure if she was really interested we didn't want to spend the $$ for the doll, so we went on ebay and bought one for under $50. Honestly I'm glad we did. Now at age 11 she and her friends are HUGE fans. We make the dolls' clothes, clay food and she makes her own accessories. It's great because they work together to make things instead of buying. When they do want to buy they work together to raise $ and then buy it. She's bought 2 dolls - all by herself! Raised the money herself and definitely has more respect for her dolls then her friends who have tons.

If you think she's interested check out ebay for a doll and then maybe Target for accessories to see how interested she really is. If she stays with it then start collecting the dresses - they're so expensive!

Also Dd11 plays with her dolls all the time. What I do is listen outside her door sometimes and I have found that she mimics what happens at school so I can see what's happening. Bullying, arguments, friend situations...things she might not tell me, she's acting out with her dolls! Just an FYI!

I don't know if anyone posted back to you on this but..My Dd11 started to 'get into' AG at age 9, after years of having NO interest in dolls. She's had friends who have TONS of dolls and she's never had an interest. Then suddenly she found the Bitty Baby she got for her first christmas and suddenly she was interested.

Because we weren't sure if she was really interested we didn't want to spend the $$ for the doll, so we went on ebay and bought one for under $50. Honestly I'm glad we did. Now at age 11 she and her friends are HUGE fans. We make the dolls' clothes, clay food and she makes her own accessories. It's great because they work together to make things instead of buying. When they do want to buy they work together to raise $ and then buy it. She's bought 2 dolls - all by herself! Raised the money herself and definitely has more respect for her dolls then her friends who have tons.

If you think she's interested check out ebay for a doll and then maybe Target for accessories to see how interested she really is. If she stays with it then start collecting the dresses - they're so expensive!

Also Dd11 plays with her dolls all the time. What I do is listen outside her door sometimes and I have found that she mimics what happens at school so I can see what's happening. Bullying, arguments, friend situations...things she might not tell me, she's acting out with her dolls! Just an FYI!

Thank you :thumbsup2

We've done both(plus the small stores) & the Customer service in NYC is much better than Chicago. The store is nicer imo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter