Anyone been on an Alaskan cruise that couldn't enter Tracy Arm?

cruisehopeful

DIS Veteran
I've never heard of a Disney cruise that had to skip Tracy Arm because of too much ice. I've read several reports of other lines that people say they had to skip Tracy Arm because it had too much ice and wasn't safe to enter. I am wondering if I've missed any reports of Disney needed to skip it, or if it is just a matter of what the captain is comfortable with at the time and the Wonder has a more comfortable captain.

We were on the first cruise in 2012 and sailed into Endicott Arm instead of Tracy Arm, since there was too much ice.

I've never heard of a Disney cruise that had to skip Tracy Arm because of too much ice. I've read several reports of other lines that people say they had to skip Tracy Arm because it had too much ice and wasn't safe to enter. I am wondering if I've missed any reports of Disney needed to skip it, or if it is just a matter of what the captain is comfortable with at the time and the Wonder has a more comfortable captain.
On the June cruise before ours last year, the Wonder had to skip Tracy Arm because of too much ice.

MUN

I'm not sure who makes the final determination on how far the ship can go down the arm - whether it's the pilot or the captain. I was on a cruise that went to Endicott Arm instead of Tracy Arm because Tracy Arm was still too icy. Our next cruise two years later, it was close, but we made it down Tracy Arm - however we couldn't get nearly as close to the glacier as we could at Endicott Arm two years prior.

What's funny is that when we sailed the last sailing of the season a couple of years ago, we just saw a few floating hunks of ice. Hardly any ice at all! I expected much more, based on things people said (like not being able to get into the passage at all). Alaska really does change so much in the summer, even from week to week. If you're worried, definitely pick a later sailing.

Ours went into Endicott early June 2013 on the Wonder due to too much ice. Weather was gorgeous and we loved it.

We got right up next to Traci on our cruise. There was a lot of ice but guess they thought it was safe

I did the second cruise of the season in 2013 and we got a fair way along with a glimpse of the glacier and then had to stop for wildlife. There were seals giving birth on the ice directly in front of the boat. Still a good day, nice weather and not too much ice - just enough to look at.

We were wondering the same, we are on the first cruise next year, in May.

We went up the Endicott arm in early August 2011 due to fog. There are many more turns and the channel is narrower on the Tracy arm, so Endicott was a better choice that day. I thought the glacier viewing was better than what had been reported in the Tracy Arm as well. We were able to hover broadside to the Glacier about 1/2 mile off for over an hour and about every 20 minutes, the captain would rotate the ship 180 degrees to give both sides of the ship good views.

I did the second cruise of the season in 2013 and we got a fair way along with a glimpse of the glacier and then had to stop for wildlife. There were seals giving birth on the ice directly in front of the boat. Still a good day, nice weather and not too much ice - just enough to look at.

We went the first cruise of that season, Ozliz, and same thing for us. The photo posted by KristiMc is pretty much what we saw. They told us that since there were lots of brand new pups and their moms, the concern was that if we got any closer to the glacier moms & babies could become separated. We saw lots and lots of seals on ice floes so it made sense. We still got a good view.

If I was concerned, I would NOT book really early or really late in Alaska cruise season. Granted sometimes you can save a bit by going at these times, but you would risk not being able to get all the way down Tracy Arm.

We're on the last cruise for Alaska 2016 (Aug 15th departure) so I'm thinking Tracy Arm will still be a viable option, but I'm glad to hear Endicott Arm is so beautiful. Nice to have choices :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter