Anyone been bumped on a Southwest flight

luvgoing2disney

DIS Veteran
OK, this is not exactly a Disney question, but I was wondering if anyone has ever had a flight booked, been at the airport, and then have the option of taking a later flight because your flight was oveer-sold, and then get free or reduced flights? I've always heard the announcement, but never taken advantage of it because we normally would need to get back home. But our September trip will jut be me and DW so that is ceertainly an option for us this time.

You may get more responses on the Transportation board.

If they can confirm you within 2 hours of your original arrival compensation is face value of your ticket +$100. If they cannot confirm you within 2 hours its face value +$300.

I always get bumped on Southwest flights...

...by the little old lady with the HUGE carry-on bag, who never checks in early, and so always gets Group C.

Never they have made announcements if people want to give up there seats for others but these people are ones that show up late or check in late.

That happened to me once while travelling for work - probably about 5 years ago. It was three days before Christmas and as I recall there was an out-of-state flight delayed which caused more delays...anyway, they asked for volunteers to give up their seats so my co-worker and I did. We each got a voucher for about $400 because we had to wait a couple of hours. I got some dinner, relaxed at the airport and got a lovely voucher!

It's never happened to me since then, though, and I fly Southwest about 6 or 7 times a year (which is not a ton but more than some).

I always look for the chance to get bumped, particularly if they have a flight going later on the same day. SW will give you a travel voucher that you will have to use in a year, so you don't actually get cash. But it is a pretty good deal.

I haven't, but I would like to! I think this trip we will let the desk know at check-in that we would be willing to give up our seats if the flight is over booked. Might not work since we are party of 5, but we can try.

I have had chance once and it was day we were traveling home.

We've had the chance a couple of times, but when one flight is full, we figure that most of them are full. So we've always passed, on the assumption that getting there now is better than getting there later -- maybe -- and getting a couple of hundred bucks.

I hear these announcements on almost every flight I take now, as airlines seem to be really overbooking now, but I've never taken the deal. A friend of mine did on her way back from Europe once, and she said NEVER AGAIN!! By the time she actually got on a flight (you're never guaranteed, you fly stand-by), she was bounced around to so many different airports, she felt like it wasn't worth the money she got back.

Now, I don't know if it's better for a domestic flight, but I won't be finding out.

I have not flown Southwest but I have volunteered to be bumped on other airlines. Occasionally, or rather, often, they announce not only the value of the voucher as compensation but also a replacement flight you will be booked on.

Friends of ours we just traveled with had this happen to them last weekend. They checked in on Thursday, flight was oversold. They took the three vouchers, as well as an overnight stay to take the same flight the next day. When they got to the airport the next day, same flight was oversold. Two of the three of them took another bump. They ended up with about $2,000 in vouchers! But two of them didn't get home until about 1:45 am! I am always willing to do this, but DH is firmly in the no camp.

Haven't done it on Southwest but have several times on Delta Airlines. Usually going home. The compensation voucher has either paid or partially paid for out next flight to Disney :rotfl:

We only do it as long as it doesn't effect us getting back to work. We take a later flight and go get a meal at the airport, relax and wait for the later flight. They tell you what flight or flights they will put you on and give us the later flight boarding passes, we have even had our checked luggage transferred without issue.

We would do it again in a heartbeat.

We've had the chance a couple of times, but when one flight is full, we figure that most of them are full. So we've always passed, on the assumption that getting there now is better than getting there later -- maybe -- and getting a couple of hundred bucks.

I always check the southwest website the night before an early AM flight for "8 tickets" to see if there are at least 8 seats left on later flights. If there are, I feel reasonably comfortable that the flight is not oversold and that I'd be willing to take a bump from my original flight.

We have had the opportunity to be bumped to a later flight on SW for a $300.00 voucher per person. We ran up to the check in desk to volunteer, but so did a bunch of other people who were faster so we didn't get to :(

This next trip we have already decided to take the bump on the way home. On the way there we have a town car meeting us and we will be getting to Florida late as it is so we probably won't then.

I volunteer the moment I get to the gate and for six years I haven't paid for airfare :banana: I'll only do this on my way out as I give myself the whole day to get there and with Southwest I book the first flight down and its ALWAYS oversold but the one 40 minutes later always has a few seats left over.

The money I got in January has paid for six tickets and I still have a bit left to use, hoping I can get bumped on next flight in August!!

With Southwest "NO" they are so disorganize in my opinion. It will not be worth it at the end. I have done it with many other airlines and usually I have a confirmed seat on the next flight. I travel a lot with my job and I only do it on my way back. It could be a great deal , just look at the options.

I'd never heard of telling you what later flight you'd be on. That might almost make it worth trying, assuming that we didn't have time constraints.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter