Anyone at Joint Base McGuire Dix Lakehurst?

kc10family

DIS Veteran
Looking for information on the area, schools, where not to live, what you think of the area.
Thank you

I was stationed there from 1998-2004 (before they merged with Ft. Dix and Navy-Lakehurst). All three facilities are adjacent to each other.

But...

...for being in such a heavily populated state, McGuire AFB/Ft. Dix are in the middle of nowhere! The town outside the gates of those two bases is Wrightstown (North Hanover Township), and it mainly caters to the single troop experience with a handful of fast food joints/mom-and-pop pizza places (one of which became notorious in the media for employing a group of men who would later be prosecuted in terrorist-related activities connected to their work at one of the mom-and-pops).

Same goes for rental housing -- most of the apartments bordering the bases are overpriced, and just plain dumpy.

If you want off-base/post shopping, etc. (think Walmart, Target, malls, etc.), you are going to have to drive at least 12-15 miles (Burlington, Mount Holly, Moorestown) -- and with gas now in the mid $3's (and rising!), a fuel-efficient vehicle is something to seriously consider. Also, consider getting an E-Z Pass, as you have to pay a toll to leave the state (no kidding!).

As for schools, I was not there with children, but I believe the bases figure in the North Hanover Twp. school district.

I understand base facilties have gotten way better since my tour, there. There is a large Commissary/Exchange complex, with all the usual stuff found on large bases.

I know TheDIS has many, many members from N.J. I also know that most mainstream New Jerseyans view the area of Burlington/Ocean counties that house the military bases as something of a "black hole". They know it's there, but can't tell you a whole lot about it (I credit that to the "remote" location of the bases, as compared to other DoD facilities in the U.S.).

I had a saying about my experience, there -- "the best part about being at McGuire was seeing it in my rear view mirror when I left in 2004". And, it took accepting a short tour in Korea to finally get me out of there for good.

I do hope your tour is a good one -- if you have questions, feel free to PM me, and I'll share whatever I know.

I was there a lot from 2000-2006, but mostly in the guard. I can try and contact some of the guys who I worked with this week. I mostly agree with what the previous poster said, but I didn't think Lakehurst was that close. Dix and McGuire are one big base, along with reserve, guard, and civilian units. The base is in the Pine Barrens area, which is set aside by the state as preserved land. There's also some large cranberry farms near by. I can't remember what school district the base uses but I'll ask. It's fairly close to Six Flags Great Adventure- a lot of family members work summers there. I think Mt. Holly and Jackson Township might be within driving distance if you live off base.

Thank you both for the FYI, its a great start. :thumbsup2 I guess I have a few things to look up now. :)

I put in a call to my old shop today. They work a rotating shift and this was an off day. I'll try again this weekend, otherwise they're off until Mon. I'll post as soon as I get any information.

ok, I finally heard back from the guys in my old shop. Only one had kids in a local district, most of the guys either haven't had kids in school in years or live 20+ miles from the base. From what they said, it all depends on how much you want to pay for a house. They think the base uses Pemberton schools, and the one guy who had kids in that district (his youngest graduated 3 yrs ago) doesn't like the district. He said look at Hanover (North or East, I can't remember) and Columbia, but it all depends on what you want to pay for the house. He suggested looking up Burlington County for a list of towns and school ratings. The zip code for the base is either 08614 or 08641, my ADD/dyslexia is really kicking in today lol. If you're coming from the south, you're in for some serious sticker shock in NJ. Once you look at the different districts online, PM me with the information and my guy will be glad to give any information he can. He also said to ask what shop you'll be going to. They know a lot of folks on the active duty side and he might could answer some questions about your new shop.

ok, I finally heard back from the guys in my old shop. Only one had kids in a local district, most of the guys either haven't had kids in school in years or live 20+ miles from the base. From what they said, it all depends on how much you want to pay for a house. They think the base uses Pemberton schools, and the one guy who had kids in that district (his youngest graduated 3 yrs ago) doesn't like the district. He said look at Hanover (North or East, I can't remember) and Columbia, but it all depends on what you want to pay for the house. He suggested looking up Burlington County for a list of towns and school ratings. The zip code for the base is either 08614 or 08641, my ADD/dyslexia is really kicking in today lol. If you're coming from the south, you're in for some serious sticker shock in NJ. Once you look at the different districts online, PM me with the information and my guy will be glad to give any information he can. He also said to ask what shop you'll be going to. They know a lot of folks on the active duty side and he might could answer some questions about your new shop.

I'll look that stuff up and please thank your friends for the FYI. Thank you very much.

The zip code for McGuire AFB is 08641 (but in many searches, that will come-up as Trenton, which is about 15 miles away from the bases).

I believe if you live on base your kids will attend on-base North Hanover Schools. If you live off base in Wrightstown, they would attend New Hanover Elem. school k-8, then Bordentown for HS. (This may change as New Hanover is looking to possibly send its middle schoolers to Bordentown within the next couple of years.) If you live in Pemberton, then it's Pemberton Schools and New Egypt/Plumsted would be New Egypt Schools. Jacobstown would be North Hanover Twp. Schools also, but an off base school. Bordentown has its own schools also.

My son started school there and I don't even remember what it was called. :eek: BUT we lived on McGuire. I was stationed there 98-01 Wouldn't mind going back closer to family BUT I do remember the Pemberton area was nice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter