• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone a Disney's Dining Experience Member?

With the AP, $60 and then 20% off all meals? Sounds like a good deal?

Any down side to it?

I've been a DDE member for a couple of years now, and I really don't see a down side. There has been quite a bit of discussion on the boards about how it's really just a 2% savings now that they automatically add an 18% gratuity to your bill. But I think those people are looking at it the wrong way.

You should be tipping 15-20% anyway when you eat at a sit-down restaurant. So you actually are still saving 20%.

Plus, at the few counter service places that take the DDE card, they don't add the gratuity. So you still save 20%.

I think it's a very good deal, and I have saved several hundred dollars by using it.

I've been a DDE member for a couple of years now, and I really don't see a down side. There has been quite a bit of discussion on the boards about how it's really just a 2% savings now that they automatically add an 18% gratuity to your bill. But I think those people are looking at it the wrong way.

You should be tipping 15-20% anyway when you eat at a sit-down restaurant. So you actually are still saving 20%.

Plus, at the few counter service places that take the DDE card, they don't add the gratuity. So you still save 20%.

I think it's a very good deal, and I have saved several hundred dollars by using it.

Thanks! I guess I should have done a search before I asked.

And I'm with you. I always tip 20% anyway so it would be a savings for me.

I'm glad to hear you are saving. It seemed almost too good to be true.

We've been DDE mambers for a few years as well. Saved many, many hundreds of dollars using the card. Will renew again in September. The fact that it covers alcoholic drinks and includes free valet parking are extras.

We are DDE members and it saves us a ton: we love the signature restaurants, always get wine, and always tip 20% so for us it's a huge savings.

Plus it's easy to use!

We love the DDE card. It really has saved us some bucks. We like that it includes alcohol.

DisFlan

We love our DDE card, we have saved hundreds of dollars with it and love the valet parking perk for our meals.

The only downside is forgetting to use it! We have saved a ton, but a few times at lounges that accept it, we forgot to use it! Oh well, still saved alot for our family of four!

Its a great deal. I completely agree that it is still a 20% savings - we always tip around 20% anyway. How much you save depends on what you like to do. I've never added up what I've saved, but I know its a lot. If you are going down with a group or a large family, you can make your $60 back in a meal or two. At some resorts where there is no sit down restaurant you can use DDE in the food courts - such as POP and POFQ. When we stay at those resorts, its icing on the cake.

I also think that its a better deal than the dining plan because you are not locked in to a specific plan - for example if you like the signature restaurants, you can order 2 appetizers for a meal or split one desert, and also go to table services for breakfast without worrying about the "value" on the dining plan.

Try it - $60 is a pretty small investment, and if you are there for a week with a family you are sure to at least break even if you have a couple of table service meals.

I love my DDE card. My only regret is that I didn't renew it for my two WDW visits last November. My family of 5 plus my in-laws were at WDW Thanksgiving weekend, and I didn't think it was worth renewing the card for just a few days. Had I known I could've gotten the card on the spot at Epcot's Guest Relations office, I would've - because I could've recouped the cost of it that weekend. I did get a new DDE card in January, and have already broken even and then some on my January and April trips.

We're contemplating getting one too next week. However, our trip was last minute so we didn't make any ADR's, so I didn't think it would be beneficial. Can anyone link me somewhere that possibly has a list of counter service restaurants that honor it? I though it was only table service.

marineswfe99: you have to be an annual pass holder or florida resident to get one. You can get more information here: http://http://www.allearsnet.com/din/dde.htm

thundrmtn: you can check out the same link and get a complete list of all restaurants/bars/lounges that take DDE.

We have purchased the DDE card ever since it became available to annual passholders. As a family five (all now counted as adults at WDW!), the card pays for itself in about three table service meals.:thumbsup2

We have been purchasing the dde cad since it became available for AP holders. We plan our annual trips so that we get 2 trips with the ap & the dde. We also typically tip 20% so it is definitely a savings.

Let me begin by saying I always tip at least 20% for good service at a sit-down place. But the "mandatoriness" of the 20% for DDE just bugs me. For example, the last time we ate at Kona Cafe - we had terrible service. Not bad kitchen service, bad waitservice. Slow, chatting instead of bringing a glass of water. We took so much more time to head back to MK than we wanted to. We still tipped, but less than 20%. I'd like that option. When I wrote to Disney and voiced my opinion about the mandatory 20% I was told that if I had a problem with waitstaff I should take it up on the spot with the manager. Uhm - okay, ridiculous. Why should I take more time after an already painfully slow meal to hash things out with the manager? I've waited plenty of tables, hostessed...and I get bad waitressing, as much as I totally appreciate (and tip for) a job well done. Argh! That said, the tip thing however much it BUGS me is one small thing...especially if you are someone who enjoys a nice bottle of wine with dinner - DDE is very worth it. My husband and I figured it paid for itself almost entirely in one long trip.

This was the first year I got the DDE card. It has paid for itself on just this trip alone, and I was there for seven (7) days. Just got back Friday. I have always tipped at least 20% anyway. My only downside is that I didn't get one before. IMO, it is definitely worth it!!:cool1:

:thumbsup2

Let me begin by saying I always tip at least 20% for good service at a sit-down place. But the "mandatoriness" of the 20% for DDE just bugs me. For example, the last time we ate at Kona Cafe - we had terrible service. Not bad kitchen service, bad waitservice. Slow, chatting instead of bringing a glass of water. We took so much more time to head back to MK than we wanted to. We still tipped, but less than 20%. I'd like that option. When I wrote to Disney and voiced my opinion about the mandatory 20% I was told that if I had a problem with waitstaff I should take it up on the spot with the manager. Uhm - okay, ridiculous. Why should I take more time after an already painfully slow meal to hash things out with the manager? I've waited plenty of tables, hostessed...and I get bad waitressing, as much as I totally appreciate (and tip for) a job well done. Argh! That said, the tip thing however much it BUGS me is one small thing...especially if you are someone who enjoys a nice bottle of wine with dinner - DDE is very worth it. My husband and I figured it paid for itself almost entirely in one long trip.

Actually, it's an 18% gratuity, not 20%. And yes, you should deal with any issues/problems you have during or after your meal so you can give the establishment a chance to make it right for you, otherwise it's your word against theirs after the fact.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter