• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anybody with special needs kids?

It took me a few days after reading this to post. Our child has autism yet I still hate to see it in black and white. I have posted in the disability section before.

We do love Disney! Ok, that is all I can write. Sorry just a weird day in denial, still after all these years.

It took me a few days after reading this to post. Our child has autism yet I still hate to see it in black and white. I have posted in the disability section before.

We do love Disney! Ok, that is all I can write. Sorry just a weird day in denial, still after all these years.

Hugs for you. :hug:

Our 10 year old in on the spectrum and we have two typical kids 8 and 5. Disney is the one place that works for everyone. Everyone is very helpful and accommodating. Staying on site (Bay Lake or Epcot are resorts) allows us to come and go easily. It also means that we don't have to wait in the long lines for transportation if we stay until park closing. This vacation has become our annual tradition.:)

Vinny (my son with autism) has a very hard time with large busy groups! We won't even be having a party for his fourth birthday next week! Last year he ended up screaming in his room! I feel so guilty not taking him. I pray every day that we will someday be able to take him with us! :worship::worship:

I see we are almost neighbors! We live right down Highway 18 about 20 miles to the east! :wave:

I don't have any special needs children, but just wanted to say to those of you that do, you really are wonderful and I can't even imagine the stress and struggle that you deal with everyday! :grouphug:

dd5 has cerebral palsy, altho after being told all the things she wouldnt be able to do when she was ten days old, she can and does most. her issues are with her vision and very limited use of her right arm and hand. we bought into the vacation club last year and shes had 4 trips since 09. being a typical girl, she loves her princesses, and im so thankful were able to share disney world with her.

jenio -
my niece has an almost 14 yr old dghtr, an 11 yr old autistic son and a 10 yr old son. the son with autism has improved every year since we discovered his challenge - there is certainly light at the end of your tunnel with your vinny. my advice after watching my niece raise her children - instill your family values and stay on top of the changes and advances in the treatment of autism - know more than your treating physicians and treatment team!

her son's meltdowns have decreased over the years to the point where he can now enjoy wdw - unlike several years ago when the intensity of it all and the overwhelming activity in the parks stressed his sensitivities beyond his limits. since that time we learned that he adapts best when going to the hilton head island resort because of its laid back atmosphere...no sensory or stimulus overload. and since it is such a family oriented resort - everyone enjoys the trip!

we gave my niece's family the choice to go back to hhi this year or go to wdw - so she decided to have a family meeting to make the decision. she got out the pix from their trips to hhi and put them beside the material i had sent her about dvc, the old key west resort and the magic kingdom. they watched the vacation planning cd and then sat for a couple of hours talking about all of the features and opportunities and then asked the kids where they wanted to go - wdw won!

from that point on she made sure that each of her kids was totally engaged in planning the trip - right down to planning a park schedule, planning meals in the villa and out to a restaurant, and deciding who would sleep in the sleeper chair which night [they had a two bedroom - but someone always wanted that chair! :)]

the planning helped her autistic son become familiar with where he was going to be staying so when he got there he felt really comfortable with his surroundings. he knew he was going to have to wait in line for some attractions - but my niece did a super job incorporating alternatives in the event that something was not acceptable - and she got the okay for the alternatives from the kids in advance of the trip. each child had their own spending $ on the day of their arrival and knew there would be no more when it was gone and there would be no questions asked when they decided to spend their own money. the number and the intensity of this year's meltdowns were greatly reduced!

may the lord give you the strength and the wisdom to travel your road ahead; may you enjoy the unexpected hug or kiss or i love you even more than you dread the unexpected meltdown; and may you reap the joys that the gift of life you have been given to nurture will return to you through the years.

I have 2 boys with autism, one 14 who is nonverbal, but very calm, and one 11 who is verbal, but hyperactive, sensitive to all kinds of stimuli (even pictures of fireworks set him off), and an escaper on occasion.

I could name many things about DVC that I especially love because of their special needs. I'll start with this one: there is something very comforting to my kids that they know pretty much what our room will look like every time. It avoids the stress of the unexpected, strange place.

hello, I am new here and I have a three year old son who is autistic, we hVe been to Disney three times with him and he loves it. He even started waiting in line patiently which is something he had a hard time with before. He gets really excited when he sees the characters and loves the carousel and teacups. I wish it was this easy back home with him.. Lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter