Anybody use the essure method?

splash5

DIS Veteran
My doctor recommended this as a form of birth control. Just curious if anyone out there used it/liked it. It is supposed to be non-invasive and safer than a tubal.

My best friend is considering this as perm birth control. At first she was thinking of tubal but likes the idea of noninvasive options. I have a friend that had it done only to end up needing a full hysterectomy a year or so later. I think a tubal would have been less invasive but she may have had other endometrial problems.

Don't think I could do it since I'm not sure what the coils are made of and I have a pretty sensitive allergy to nickel. It sounds like a decent options but I'd personally be worried of possible side effects like scar tissue etc.

I researched this pretty thoroughly and had decided to have it done. Even had it scheduled and then my insurance carrier and the doctor's office started a battle about their new contract so I am on hold for now. I do intend to get it done when I'm sure insurance will cover it again. It sounds like a great option for me.

I had it done 3.5 years ago with no complications. My dr put me out for the procedure because I have a tilted uterus which made things more difficult and take longer. I have no regrets. If you have more specific questions, just ask and I'll do my best to answer them.

I just wondered if you had heavier bleeding or much pain with the procedure. Some of the comments that I read online seemed pretty grim.

I'd like to know if your tubes sealed up after the 3 months or did you have to wait longer? Some of what I've read indicated that it could take much longer, and there were issues sometimes with the coils being dislodged. How did you choose a doctor for the procedure? Is there some way to find out their track record of successful procedures vs. those with complications? I am seriously considering this, but DH is leery about it after hearing some horror stories about heavy bleeding, need for hysterectomy afterward, etc.

I had this done 3 years ago and love it. The pain most feel with the procedure is cramping as the doc dilates your cervix a tiny bit. If you have had natural (meaning not a csection) births, it's no big deal. I received a shot of some pain med ahead of time, don't remember what though. The whole procedure took only a few minutes. My periods are now very light and 3-4 days. I don't recall any heavy bleeding with it. My doc was my OB. Guess I just trusted him and didn't do any further research. There is more to the process though than just the procedure. I had to be on depo for a month before the procedure and it only lasts 3 months, so another month of some other sort of birth control while waiting for the tubal dye test. My tubes were blocked at 3 months, I had read some could be 6 months and if not blocked then, the procedure is considered a failure. If you have any more questions, feel free to pm me.

My sister had it done with no complications. Her tubes were sealed after 3 months. Her bleeding has not changed since having it done 2 years ago.

I'm also wondering how old people were when they had the procedure done. I was at the doctors office yesterday and asked him about the bleeding and complications and he said that some people who complained about heavy bleeding were at that point in their lives when the hormonal balances were changing. I am 45 and I don't want to have this done if it is a bad experience.

Do alot of reasearch on this. Doctors tout it as safe, easy, quick... it's easy to have complications... Lots of women have long term pain, cramping, doctor screwups. Look up the FDA mednet on essure/conceptus... lots of bad things.

My wife ended up having a hysterectomy after doing this 'easy/safe' essure procedure.. the device misfired and shot 2 coils into a single fallopian tube. Look at medwatch, this happens often. She did it at the hospital knocked out since she didn't want to be awake.

Check out the aphrodite womens forums on this - lots of stories... both good and bad: www DOT aphroditewomenshealth DOT com SLASH forums

I had this precedure done about 2 yrs ago. I liked the idea of no cutting and healing afterwards. I have had zero problems. I had mine done at our local hospital b/c my OB did not like the idea of doing it in the office in case something were to happen. I had more problems with my IV insertion than I did with the actual procedure. The next day I was out shopping! My periods are the same before I had the Essure done. At the 3 month period my tubes were completely blocked.

I would highly recommend this vs a tubal just b/c it is non-invasive and less healing time.

Any questions, just ask!

This is something I looked into when we had our second baby. Many doctors I had talked to said that it was one of the most recommended, 'safe' procedures. I had an appointment even to get it done.

Then I decided to do some more search just to be safe, and this is what I've found. For women that have no complications, it is a lovely thing. But the complications that come with it can be pretty severe. It is also not a 100 percent when it comes to preventing pregnancy. Your chances of a tubal pregnancy are much higher.

The coils can move, and when they do move, it is usually never a good thing and requires another surgery.

Here is another site that can give you some more info
http://www.centerforwomen.com/MainFrames/essured.htm

I am not trying to steer you away from Essure at all. But there are real risks involved with it, more so then having your tubes tied. With any birth control, there is no magic cure all yet or risk free control.
Everyone has to make the right decision for themselves, and if you decide this for you, I hope it is painless and complication free! :goodvibes

Adiana by Hologic is the newest in tubal occlusive sterilization. Google the site for more information. I am a recovery room nurse and have seen both devices from each rep. The Essure looks like a spring from inside a "clicky" pen about an inch long. The Adiana looks like a tiny piece of foam about a 1/4 of an inch long. Now, you can read and hear almost anything on any of these. Supposedly, the Essure can migrate. As well, it is not unusual for the end of the Essure to dangle from the base of the fallopian tube into the uterus making further intrauterine procedures difficult if not impossible. We are seeing a very recent trend by our OB surgeons going to the Adiana. I got an idea...have your hubby get the snip!!!!!:laughing:

Good luck in your decision-making and TALK to your surgeon!!!

I got an idea...have your hubby get the snip!!!!!:laughing:

Amen. As a 'hubby'... when my wife chose to have to Essure because of how SAFE it was vs. other female and male methods, never did we know how horrible it would turn out for her....

If I could do it over, I would get snipped in a heartbeat.

lol I agree... my husband had his done and was out on his motorcycle the next day. I actually called and scheduled his while I was pregnant with the last. I had the kids, it was the least he could do:)

I have had no complications since having this done 3 years ago. My bleeding didn't change for better or worse although I have become more regular than I used to be. My tubes were fully blocked at 3 months. My OB did the procedure. He and his partner were the first drs in my area doing the procedure and therefore had been doing it the longest (about 10 years at that time).

A friend of mine, however, has had complications from the procedure. Non-stop bleeding, pain, and illness six months later. I haven't talked to her in a bit, but she was planning on talking to my dr to see if he could help.

Any procedure is going to have it's good and bad, so you have to make the decision you're most comfortable with. Good luck!

My OB/GYN won't do it. That's enough for me to not want to do it. (She will give you the name of a colleague who will do it if you really want to have it done, but she also gives loads of research "homework" before she'll send you over.)

i've heard of a lot of perforations and migrations, and failures. i wouldn't do it personally.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter