• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anybody rent a car in Nassau?

ErinC

DIS Veteran
I was looking at some Bahamas info last night, and was giving some thought to possibly renting a car for a few hours. Would it be safe to drive around on our own and do some sightseeing? Anybody done this before? Please share your experience. Thanks, Erin

Hi,

We just returned from the Wonder 3/24 cruise, and we rented a car in Freeport. Weird thing - they drive on the left side of the road (like all U.K. countries) but the cars are American configured (steering wheel on the left!). This is hugely dangerous (to me) when you want to pass! If you don't have a spotter (passenger in the front seat) you have to pull completely out into the oncoming traffic to see if you can pass! Also, if you are not comfortable with left hand driving (roundabouts etc.) I wouldn't suggest learning in the Bahamas.

Our driving tour was a mistake. What the brochure described as "quaint villages" turned out to be shanty towns. Don't kid yourself - Bahamas is a third world country, and you could be in trouble if you're not well informed or careful. The best sights are probably the major attractions, but I'm not sure about Nassau (we did the Dolphin thing that day). Good luck. Hope this helps.

sbh- I read about the left hand driving, and I figured that would be strange to us. We are a family of 4 with DD's 5 & 2. I just thought instead of spending a ton of money on a cab, we could rent a car and see the sights. That way DD age 2 could be in a rented car seat. Driving in general in the Bahamas sounds dangerous, and I have heard that the cab drivers can be crazy drivers. I sure don't want my 2 year old unrestrained in one. Any one else have any experience?

Originally posted by sbh

Weird thing - they drive on the left side of the road (like all U.K. countries) but the cars are American configured (steering wheel on the left!).

Same thing in the USVI. I've heard this is also the case in the Cayman Islands.

Even worse (not to turn you all off completely) the cars are not new models. Kinda like renting from Rent A Wreck and yet we rented from Hertz. My kids are older (DD8, DS6) but I would think twice about car seats etc. w/ little ones. Isn't there some other form of transpo besides taxi?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter