• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anybody have RV Insurance they LOVE?

ready123go

DIS Veteran
Looking to upgrade our RV insurance. We're not nuts about our current insurance (or agent, for that matter) and would like to get some solid RV insurance.

For reference: It's a 5th wheel. For the most part, it stays parked in a campground all year. It is used seasonally, May - Oct and towed only on occasion.

Any recommendations?

P.S. -

We are also renewing our RV Roadside Assistance and looking to choose between AAA and Good Sam. Feel free to weigh in on that, as well.

TIA
ready :)

LOVE? um, that's a really strong word. But so far we're happy with the coverage and rates form Progressive. We were with State Farm for quite a while since they're our carrier for everything else, but when we went to a class C, they couldn't touch Progressive's rates for the same or better coverage...Progressive seems to know RVs where State Farm really doesn't.

That said, very thankfully we haven't had to file a claim with either carrier, so I really can't speak to more than coverage and rate. Progressive's website was very easy to navigate and we didn't go through an agent.

For roadside we use Good Sam. Mostly because my parents use it with their class A (now 10 years old) and have had some really great experiences with service, like super far tows, etc. We've used the coverage once for a dead battery in our car, and that was good as well. We also found that their coverage and rate was cheaper than AAA (but if you add your Good Sam club membership in, it is probably a wash) I like that GS doesn't nickel and dime you on additional drivers.

We use Nationwide, but then again everything we have is through Nationwide. Had to use it during our trip to the Fort last year because of storm damage and it was absolutely effortless. They got us fixed with new awning and done in about three days on site. They give us discounts because our home and auto are covered by them as well.

Sent from my Desire HD using DISBoards

Can't say I love it but my best rate was with Progressive on my camper and bike. Haven't had a claim yet so can't respond about that.

We have been with Progressive for several years and we have had excellent service with them. Got in a hail storm in TN a few years ago with a very new class A MH. Had a good bit of damage, they came to our home promptly after we called them and paid for everything with no hassles.

Also, before this, had problems on a trip with Diesel and the MH stopped instantly. Called them and they towed us to a dealer to fix the problem. That is a complicated process with a diesel and they paid for all the towing. We now have a gas MH.

We like that road side service is included with our premium and they are reasonable too, compared with others.

We have Progressive and have had to use our insurance to the max when my husband took out a tree with our camper. We had no problems with them at all.

Erie, 3 weeks after we went with Erie we had a hail storm. Damaged everything we own. After they paid for the 2003 TT we got a bigger 2006 TT for a few $ more.

And for the Roadside assistance..... http://www.coach-net.com/Plans/

Thanks for this post, as DW and I have been talking about this. We will be meeting this week with our agent to hear every detail on all our policies. We have ALFA ( Alabama Farmers association) and they have all our policies on all we own. Will get very detailed questions for the agent on how the 5ver is covered.

Richard

I work for a school system and have our insurance through Horace Mann, they've always paid without any difficulties.

We have AAA RV plus for our cars, motorcycles and RV

We have been with USAA for years and they started using Progressive for RV coverage some years back. At first I wasn't happy with the change, but Progressive is awesome! Their customer service is first class. We recently had an issue where we wanted to increase the value of our coach and I thought it would be a pain. They handled it seamlessly and the agent called me back twice to advise me of the status. LOVE THEM.

We currently have no roadside coverage, but we're trying to decide between Good Sam and Coach-Net.

Another vote for Progressive - great service, and a lot included with the policy - such as towing and trailer coverage.

I was with progressive for 3 years on the RV, 7 years with my cars. The one thing they where progressive about where raising rates. After the 3rd rate hike in a row on the RV, and then a significant one on my cars (no tickets, no claims, only time I dealt with them was to change banks to pull funds from) I went shopping. I ended up with The Hartford covering all vehicles and my home for way less then I was paying progressive and about 300 for the year lower then the nearest competitor.

As for roadside, Good Sams or Coachnet for roadside outside your insurance policy. AAA in many areas will not even deal with an RV.

I was with progressive for 3 years on the RV, 7 years with my cars. The one thing they where progressive about where raising rates. After the 3rd rate hike in a row on the RV, and then a significant one on my cars (no tickets, no claims, only time I dealt with them was to change banks to pull funds from) I went shopping. I ended up with The Hartford covering all vehicles and my home for way less then I was paying progressive and about 300 for the year lower then the nearest competitor.

As for roadside, Good Sams or Coachnet for roadside outside your insurance policy. AAA in many areas will not even deal with an RV.

Wow. hate to hear that! We have been with Progressive for 10 years (3 different MH's) and NEVER had a rate increase. We had 3 claims in that period. One tow, one windshield replaced, one larger claim ($3,000) for hail damage. They paid for someone to come to our home for the windshield change.

We really like Progressive!

We have coverage through Geico, which all our vehicles are on. Haven't had to use it yet, so can't speak to that, although we've never had issues with the few claims we've had with Geico. The cost was very reasonable as well.

We also have the Good Sam roadside assistance. My dad is a state director for Good Sam and sells them pretty hard, but the coverage also seems pretty good. Both my dad and my brother have called to use it and had generally positive experiences. We are also lifetime Good Sam members.

Everyone differs, but progressive bumped it up the first time by only maybe 100 bucks for the year, no biggie. Next year was another 250. Then 2013 renewal it was another 400 increase just on the RV. Nothing changed on my end, so I went shopping, and for the price of the RV policy from progressive I was able to insure everything with an equal policy including RV specific pieces like agreed value, etc.

We live in NJ and the choices are minimal. Our first agent was horrible, and when we bought our new mh we decided to shop around a little and chose progressive for half the cost of our first agent!
We had to put in a claim once when we were caught in a dericho storm that ripped our awning off. They were great with us. Since it was a smaller claim they waived our deductible and were prompt with the claim adjuster.

Another GEICO and Good Sam here.
Went with GEICO because State Farm was getting out of sight after using them for 40 years.

We had jumped around from company to company every year chasing low rates. About 2 years ago we ended up going with Good Sam (goes through GMAC) because of the storage option. Saved us a TON of money. Last year a crazy hail storm came through the Dallas area and all sides of our trailer were dinged up (corrugated aluminum Jayco) but no structural damage; in fact, we took it out on a 3 week trip shortly after that. GMAC had us take it to a local shop for an estimate, and they ended up totaling the trailer; was going to cost $13K just to replace the 4 aluminum sides, just over the value of the trailer. They gave us the choice of taking a current model year of the same trailer (we had a 2009, so we'd get a 2013), or take the $21K they were going to have to pay for that trailer and put it toward another trailer of our choosing and we would pay the difference. We found an outstanding deal on a bigger, nicer fiberglass trailer, and we only paid $150 out of pocket. GMAC was unbelievably fast at sending the check over to the dealership, and I just couldn't get over how smoothly the whole process went. I will for sure be staying with GMAC, even though all of our other insurance (auto and home) are with MetLife (another wonderful company with outstanding claim service). I highly recommend Good Sam/GMAC!

We had jumped around from company to company every year chasing low rates. About 2 years ago we ended up going with Good Sam (goes through GMAC) because of the storage option. Saved us a TON of money. Last year a crazy hail storm came through the Dallas area and all sides of our trailer were dinged up (corrugated aluminum Jayco) but no structural damage; in fact, we took it out on a 3 week trip shortly after that. GMAC had us take it to a local shop for an estimate, and they ended up totaling the trailer; was going to cost $13K just to replace the 4 aluminum sides, just over the value of the trailer. They gave us the choice of taking a current model year of the same trailer (we had a 2009, so we'd get a 2013), or take the $21K they were going to have to pay for that trailer and put it toward another trailer of our choosing and we would pay the difference. We found an outstanding deal on a bigger, nicer fiberglass trailer, and we only paid $150 out of pocket. GMAC was unbelievably fast at sending the check over to the dealership, and I just couldn't get over how smoothly the whole process went. I will for sure be staying with GMAC, even though all of our other insurance (auto and home) are with MetLife (another wonderful company with outstanding claim service). I highly recommend Good Sam/GMAC!

What is the "storage option"?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter