Anybody else want DDP to end!!

I believe that in the end the menu choices all come down to what people are willing to pay.
That nuance is really critical. It's one of the main reasons why non-normalized feedback is so worthless: People may be willing to complain about many things that they're not willing to change their purchasing habits as a result of.

I Loved the DDP! Awesome food and Awesome service. And even though the tips were included, if we had over the top service, we still left more. We got the plan for free so why not. I don't get to WDW as often as a lot of you so when I do I want to be able to live it up a little and the plan allows me to do that. Our next trip is at a time that I'm sure it won't be free but I'm still getting it. Can't wait to go to the Canadian steak house!!!!!!!!!

The problem with the prix fixe idea is how do you accommodate dietary issues? One meat and one veggie entree? What about those who don't eat red meat? So they get pasta or chicken every night? How about dessert for those allergic to chocolate or lactose intolerant?

While many people would not utilize DDP for whatever reason, just like any changes, Disney makes decisions that they think will attract the most people. The DDP issues are similar to those regarding MYW tickets. Not everyone's method/style of travel is the same and some are "penalized" while others benefit. It's just how it is.

If you owned a restaurant, would you try to appeal to the widest audience possible in order to turn a profit or cater to a niche market that appreciate interesting and unique dining (and does not mind the cost attached)? In a place where that subgroup is large enough (like a city), an upscale restaurant still has a good chance of survival. But at WDW? With so many familes with limited palettes, I'm not surprised. Granted, I'm disappointed, but not surprised by dumbing down menus.

I also think the arguments against WDW ever offering free dining do not make sense. As other posters mentioned, it's just another discount. The restaurants are still getting cash from WDW (ok, so I don't really know how it all works) for each meal. Would you stomp your feet and say that it's not fair that others get the free water park option or a discount on hotel rooms? Those discounts make the higher end hotels more crowded, possibly decreasing enjoyment of the pool area and the quiet atmosphere, but no one would advocate rack rate all the time to maintain the convience for some. [so maybe that comparison isn't perfect, but hopefully you get my point]

When I took my 12 year old niece last month, we did the dining plan. After it became clear that my niece didn't really like breakfast food, the day before I called to change our Cape May breakfast to a dinner. I had hoped for Chef Mickeys, but they were full. She ran down the list of character dinners and almost every one had openings (Liberty Tree, 1900 Park Fare, Land, Crystal Palace). Problem was we had already ate at them or planned to. We ended up going to the Cape May dinner, even though it wasn't character, at least it gave her a wide variety of food (very, very, picky.... :rolleyes: ), we had our choice of times. So everything is not booked up last minute.

BillSears said:
The problem is that the lower cost per meal that the DDP has prevents those who want to spend more for higher grade items from spending more. So the DDP has removed the higher priced items from the menu and therefore has lowered the options for those willing to pay more for a better meal.

EXACTLY!!

This is not directed at anyone specifically, so take it with a grain of salt.

Most of the people making complaints against the plan (crowded restaurants, having to plan in advance, elimination of high-end items) seem to want to place their interests above the larger majority of Disney customers. The argument is similar to many I've seen on these boards... "because I'm willing to spend more money, I should be offered a more exclusive experience." But if you really want an exclusive experience, maybe WDW isn't the best option. Everyone buys the same ticket, everyone has the same access to reservations, everyone has access to the same food.

The dining plan, at least at this stage, seems to be filling restaurants that previously had empty tables. This will not only keep these restaurants open, but in the long run might also prompt them to open more sit-down places, offering an even wider variety. Time will tell...

...in the meantime, I like the plan. I don't mind scheduling things in advance, and I like the flexibility.

I think you're mistaken. The problem is that some folks are expecting a "more exclusive experience" without being "willing to spend more money". WDW actually does have many opportunities for guests "willing to spend more money" to receive a "more exclusive experience". Signature restaurants give you a taste of this; V&As is a step above; V&A's chef table is a step above that. However, you can even make arrangements for even more exclusive dining experiences, including my dream - a wonderful dinner served aboard an Illuminations or Wishes cruise boat, followed up by a wonderful view of the evening show.

Those that say they should keep a per centage of tables open for walkins, would you suggest that Holiday Inn keep rooms open for walkins? Businesses want to fill up; any empty seat is lost income potential. And when I book my Holiday Inn room on Expedia, I still expect all the amenities even though I'm paying less. Why would I agree to anything less at WDW? And when I booked this vacation (Sept 11-16) I only knew there was a one price inclusive deal. Without it, I wouldn't be going. And at 6'2" and 270#, I don't think too much food will be a problem.

Quick question about the servers paying tax on tips; it is my understanding that servers are suppose to claim all of their tips (although I don't know of any that claim the actual amount). The dining plan essentially makes them be a little more honest with their claims (of course, they could still just pocket the cash).

So, really, with the increase of people paying with credit cards, they should already be use to this.

bicker said:
I think you're mistaken. The problem is that some folks are expecting a "more exclusive experience" without being "willing to spend more money". WDW actually does have many opportunities for guests "willing to spend more money" to receive a "more exclusive experience". Signature restaurants give you a taste of this; V&As is a step above; V&A's chef table is a step above that. However, you can even make arrangements for even more exclusive dining experiences, including my dream - a wonderful dinner served aboard an Illuminations or Wishes cruise boat, followed up by a wonderful view of the evening show.

Yes, I realize that people can spend more for more exclusive experiences, like V&A.

But what a lot of people here are complaining about is the common masses taking up chairs in their favorite places like Le Cellier. Why should someone on a free (which isn't really free at all) dining plan be treated on an equal plane as someone willing to fork over $$$ for a nice dinner?

Plenty of people come to the DIS looking for some sort of "advantage" over the more casual WDW vacationer...someone who doesn't bother to look up codes or think in advance to schedule reservations. The dining plan democratizes the planning process for a Disney vacation, and I think that really irks some people.

I must admit, I haven't taken the time to read all of the preceeding posts, but just though I'd add my two cents...

I believe the DDP is a good thing. This coming from a person going for the second time in my entire 36yo life. I think it is a good value for those that cannot afford to pay $$$, but would like a good dining experience just like the next person. (Of course they do offer more than one dining plan option, for those that can afford the 'bells and whistles'). I do believe that if you can or are willing to pay lots of $$$, you should be able to do that, but, I also believe that those cannot should not be banished to eating counter service only, with there being other dining options available.

At least at Disney (in the parks) there are table service options, here in Houston, all we had was Astroworld, and table service was non-existent (now so too is Astroworld). Counter service was all that was available, at least at Disney the sky seems to be the limit. You have it better there than most at most other amusement parks. Also, from what I've read on the DIS, there has been other types of "dining plans" in the past, just not so affordable, or popular even, so apparently that is not a new thing, a dining plan that is.

JMO

rcyannacci said:
it is my understanding that servers are suppose to claim all of their tips
It shouldn't really even be a consideration. You earn money; you pay income taxes on it. End of story.

frozone said:
Yes, I realize that people can spend more for more exclusive experiences, like V&A. But what a lot of people here are complaining about is the common masses taking up chairs in their favorite places like Le Cellier.
Le Cellier exists to serve folks looking for a reasonable meal at a reasonable price. It doesn't exist to serve folks willing to pay for a premium table-service experience. There aren't enough folks "willing to fork over $$$" to justify more than a handful of such restaurants at WDW, the signature restaurants.

rcyannacci said:
Quick question about the servers paying tax on tips; it is my understanding that servers are suppose to claim all of their tips (although I don't know of any that claim the actual amount). The dining plan essentially makes them be a little more honest with their claims (of course, they could still just pocket the cash).

So, really, with the increase of people paying with credit cards, they should already be use to this.

I do not buy the argument that servers at WDW do not like DDP because of the taxes. THe IRS came down on the restaurant industry a couple of years ago because restaurants were not paying their fair share of social security taxes, essentially b/c servers were not declaring 100% of what they made. This did not effect mom and pop places, but for the large corporations, it had a huge effect. These corporations began to take more of a notice of what servers were declaring. My wife and I both have worked for large corporate restaurants for over a decade. So I guarantee you Disney was already on top of servers for this.

Secondly, how do most of us pay for our meals? Probably credit cards and room keys, right? Tips were already declared in the computer for these, which means that taxes were taken out before DDP for these methods of payment.

From my experience in the business, I would guess that servers took a paycut in the tip average they were receiving per person as a trade off against more business. So they wait on more people now and make maybe the same amount of money. Yes, I am saying that they have to work harder for their money. Also, I know that many of you would say that you tip above what the DDP already gives to the server. As a bartender, I appreciate the fact that you recognize good service and do tip extra. But I must say, again from a decade of experience, when many realize gratuity is included, most people do not tip beyond that.

Please do not respond saying that you always tip extra. I appreciate that you do, just realize that those that do are in the minority.

the ddp is a great idea.. especially for CM's! the gratuity is always there so no one gets stiffed (especially since alot of europeans dont tip in their countries so they dont know to tip here) and its a great way to enjoy eating at the better restaurants in the disney area. who could honestly afford to eat at a nice restaurant every day? no one. the value is great! and the ddp is only this big right now cause of the free dining plan with your stay at the resorts. and they did this because august and september are super slow months at disney and they had to find a way to get more people in the resorts. :-D

yes, I would. I'd like the see the quality of food go back up. I miss the unique control the chefs had on their creations. Now, it's not the same. The quality has gone down a bit and it is very disconcerning.

DDP - Please go away.....

I haven't read this whole thread but I can see DDE cardholders who don't use the DDP secretly wishing it would go back to the old days. Restaurant availability and a good bang for the buck with the 20% off instead of the 'incredible eat like a king' DDP. Talk of reduced portion sizes, not that its been confirmed, to accomidate DDP (make more like cruise lines where can actually eat appet, entree and dessert) would exacerbate the desire to see it go away.

Hi, just had to put in my 2 cents.

As the time for our trip fast approaches,(our first ever trip to WDW), I am getting extremely excited, even more so that the trip is paid in full. We have never been able to afford a trip to WDW and with the cost of my meds probably wouldn't have been able to this year either. If it weren't for the DDP (free or not) I probably would never be able to see WDW.

They say WDW is the place for wishes and dreams to come true, right? Just think how many people would never get to have their dreams come true because they couldn't afford to pay for it.

As for the reference to DDP participants should be treated differently, because they received the plan free or at reduced rates, than those who pay OPP for their meals, that is a crock of garbage.

I probably spend more money at 3 doctors every month and on perscriptions than the majority of people, should I get the ROYAL treatment and be treated with priority over my doctors not so sick patients because they make money off of me. I DON'T THINK SO!!!

It may not be the same thing, but it might as well be. I have been reading the post and in my opinion all the "opposed to DDP" posters have done nothing but destroy my excitment that after 40 years I am finally going to WDW. I am feeling guilty and ashamed that I can not afford to pay OPP for my meals.

But do you want to know what......No one is going to destroy my magical trip....this may be my first and only chance to go to WDW and enjoy it....and I count my blessings every day for the FREE DDP!!!!!!!!

There are some good restaurants that don't participate with MYW dining. The obvious is V&A. Swan/Dolphin has 3 fine restaurants. Some of the DTD restaurants don't participate. Bistro De Paris in EPCOT doesn't participate.

Guests who are hoping for a more exclusive dining experience have options.

It's a shame Disney isn't able to compromise and allow restaurants to offer an entrée that's surcharged. Something like lobster. Based on DIS posters it doesn't sound like that option would be popular.

gratenana said:
Hi, just had to put in my 2 cents.

As the time for our trip fast approaches,(our first ever trip to WDW), I am getting extremely excited, even more so that the trip is paid in full. We have never been able to afford a trip to WDW and with the cost of my meds probably wouldn't have been able to this year either. If it weren't for the DDP (free or not) I probably would never be able to see WDW.

They say WDW is the place for wishes and dreams to come true, right? Just think how many people would never get to have their dreams come true because they couldn't afford to pay for it.

As for the reference to DDP participants should be treated differently, because they received the plan free or at reduced rates, than those who pay OPP for their meals, that is a crock of garbage.

I probably spend more money at 3 doctors every month and on perscriptions than the majority of people, should I get the ROYAL treatment and be treated with priority over my doctors not so sick patients because they make money off of me. I DON'T THINK SO!!!

It may not be the same thing, but it might as well be. I have been reading the post and in my opinion all the "opposed to DDP" posters have done nothing but destroy my excitment that after 40 years I am finally going to WDW. I am feeling guilty and ashamed that I can not afford to pay OPP for my meals.

But do you want to know what......No one is going to destroy my magical trip....this may be my first and only chance to go to WDW and enjoy it....and I count my blessings every day for the FREE DDP!!!!!!!!

First of all, welcome to the DIS! :cheer2:

More importantly, don't let threads like this affect your anticipation of your long awaited trip. I haven't read this thread other than Lewis' post and yours. By the very title, I knew the kinds of things that would follow. Try not to even open threads with a negative title. :sunny:

There are some funny opinions out there in my mind including some real snobbery but many who post along that vein actually don't seem to have much experience in many of the restaurants anyway. :rolleyes: I've noticed that some other people who decry the DDP are actually just jealous. Others don't understand how it works.

Others claim a change in quality. We make three or four trips/year (3 the last couple of years) and dining has always been a huge part of our vacation. I have noticed absolutely no change in quality.

Some places the quantity may have changed but again at the restaurants we frequent which include the signature restaurants for dinner, I've seen no such change. I remember someone posting on some thread that they could no longer feed their whole family from a single dessert and the server said it was because of the DDP. Well, if it is true that the DDP effected that change, good for the DDP. I say that as a stockholder (albeit a minute one :teeth: ) But it also is not good from a health standpoint to have desserts that huge IMO.

I have also noticed that certain people claim the DDP won't work for them but have obviously not done their homework. It isn't for everyone but if you enjoy one TS meal per night of your stay with tax and tip included it would be very difficult to not do well on the DDP. Everyone should figure it out for their own family.

Again I am not singling out anyone on this thread becasue I haven't read it. Why read negativity about the happiest place on earth. :confused3

So gratenana, don't read this thread anymore. :grouphug: I hope you have a perfectly magical vaction and enjoy your free dining. :wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter