Anybody else want DDP to end!!

So, because I am getting the DDP free, due to Disney's "special", I should get a menu that isn't as good as it will be the following month? Wow, talk about feeling like a 2nd class citizen! Also, because I am on free dining, I am going to order the most expensive thing on the menu? Give me a break! Free dining lasts for a month and a half, the last time I checked, there were 12 months in a year. Just because I am going during free dining and chose to accept the offer (why wouldn't I), does not make me a person that doesn't know what "upscale" dining is and it does not make me want to order the most expensive things on the menu. As a matter of fact, I am a veg., and I will probably be eating lots of salads and veggies. I am sure that there is plenty of availability at 2 TS restaurants for the "higher class" guests. By the way, I know for a fact that it is hard to get ADR's during other times of the year too. Disney is offering an affordable plan for the ave. family to enjoy, and I for one will enjoy it! As others have stated, they are offering free dining instead of room rates. It is a wonderful draw and helps them fill the rooms during a "slower" period. 2 yrs. ago, during this same period, I paid $69. a night for POFQ because of a special. Maybe they should have taken away cleaning service or not left fresh towels and soap because I wasn't paying the higher rate that others were paying. Sorry, just had to vent!

If they would like to have special menu choices that aren't included in the DDP, I don't think many would mind at all. As long as it was marked clearly on the menu, who really cares? If Disney has not done this, I am sorry, I will not take the blame for it. It is a pretty easy thing to do if they wanted it.

I am waiting for Disney to eliminate free dining and instead start offering a $37.99 discount per adult and $10.99 per child in each room when a MYW package is booked with dining and park tickets....

two sides... same coin. Give it a new name and voila, no more free dining. :rotfl:

Tidus said:
So, because I am getting the DDP free, due to Disney's "special", I should get a menu that isn't as good as it will be the following month? Wow, talk about feeling like a 2nd class citizen!
What's worse would be paying out-of-pocket, and getting a lesser menu to choose from just because you decided to travel during the two months that the Dining Plan is free.

We did not have DDP during our Christmas trip and we've never used it, free or otherwise. As a result, on our last vacation we just ate CS or outside of the parks. The only reservation we had was for the Candlelight Processional dinner at Biergarten. While we were waiting for our table there was a fellow sitting on a bench nearby with his family and he asked us if we were walk-ups. We told him no, that we'd had this planned for months. He was very discouraged and said that the CM had told him there was no way he could come in and eat with his small family since they didn't have ADR's. Poor guy. :guilty: We also tried to do the walk up thing at MGM and asked at the Sci-Fi if there was any way we could wait for a table...they told we didn't have a snowball's chance, so we moved on and ate CS again. I miss the fact that you use to be able to just go in somewhere, get on the list, wait a few minutes, and then go on in to eat. Don't you think less savvy Disney travellers who might not know about the DDP's popularity and ADR's will not have a clue as to why they're being refused at these restaurants? It can be frustrating.

So, again, I am asking, if I don't pay rack rate for a room, should the cleaning person not come everyday and should I not get a fresh bar of soap and clean towels? Sorry, it does not make sense for Disney to offer a special and then penalize the people who go. Simple solution, go somewhere else where the dining is "upscale". Do what's best for you and if Disney isn't offering you a wonderful dining experience go to Universal or somewhere else. Families are spending lots of money on souvenirs and going to their movies, they should offer families something special and affordable. I don't care whether someone takes advantage of "free" dining or if they pay for the dining plan and get a cheaper hotel rate, or they don't get the dining plan, we are all spending our hard earned money on Disney, so get over it.

If you are really worried about over-bearing crowds, WDW is not the place for you. I feel if I am able to pre-pay for hotel and tickets, I should be able to pay for my meals. If you really feel annoyed by not being able to get a ressie, there are plenty of Restaurants in Orlando that have great food. First of all, many of the people dining at WDW arent even staying on property. THEN the amount of people staying on Disney property and using the DDP is a lot smaller. Disney World is one of the , if not THE most popular vacation destinations in the World. Yeah , you are gonna have to deal with crowds. Until DubaiWorld opens, we both settle for WDW crowds.

JoiseyMom said:
The free dining plan isn't hurting anything. The plan is just another discount. Disney is using it to fill rooms, and it worked so well last year they are doing it this year. And some people liked it so much "free" that they are now paying for it. Even if the plan wasn't free, these issues of sharing would still be coming up. So, lets say they didn't have free dining this year, but instead gave us the amount dining would have cost as a discount on a room. I would have then "bought" the dining plan. It is all semantics. It isn't "free" it is just the latest discount.

Exactly - it's just about how a discount is marketed. They could have said "save $38 a day on your MYW passes!" and it would be no different. So if they "limit" the menu during free dining, how is that fair to those of us who paid rack rate for the "free" dining plan if a few months later someone can get the package with a room discount AND enjoy a better menu? In the end, Disney's getting about the same amount of money from each of us.

We used the dining plan for the first time this spring and we enjoyed it. We have always made ADR's for dinner so doing it in advance was no big deal. The 180 days out rule went into effect during our planning and I didn't realize it. I was still able to make reservations for Cinderella's Royal Table and the Storybook Breakfast with no problems. We even swapped out our dinner ADR's a couple of times about a month before we went- again no problems. We have to make dinner reservations a month out at several of the nicer restaurants in our area at home why wouldn't I do it on vacation?

Peter Pirate 2 said:
All in all good but still we didn't have the choice of quail, venison or pheasant as we had in the past when this restaurant was known for such variety. Now you don't need to tell me why these items are gone, I fully understand that the demand was simply not as great as the alternatives

Maybe I'm not understanding this statement correctly, if so ignore me, LOL. But basically the complaint is that it doesn't matter if no one orders it, the "experience" is just having it on the menu? Maybe they could add it back on there with "sorry you missed it" in small print under it, LOL.

CPer's Mom said:
With the free dining I would bet that many people are choosing to go to the 'nicer' restaurants by looking at the menus & picking the highest priced ones to get "their money's worth".
But you DON'T get your money's worth - or in the case of the free dining plan - by using the credits at a signature restaurant. Sure, you can maximize the value by having the same appetizer/entree/dessert for dinner each night at one specific venue, and by having the ribeye steak at Pepper Market every day for lunch

CPer's Mom said:
I just hope that Disney limits this offering to short periods during the year and does NOT extend it further.
It's generally assumed that Disney offers its year-round dining plan free for a few weeks in the late summer/early fall to entice visitors who might be reluctant to go to Florida in the peak hurricane months. The Disney Dining Plan in its current incarnation has only been available since January 2005, and has only been offered free for about seven weeks in 2005 and now in 2006. It's HIGHLY unlikely that the "free" enticement would be offered at other times of the year.

CPer's Mom said:
I also hope that, during the times of the year without "free" dining, the restaurants are able to go back to the selection and quality that have made them favorites of many over the years.
It's most likely not the FREE part that's caused Disney to change menu offerings - those seem to be permanent changes, so it's not likely that they'd offer one set of menus from mid-August to the end of September and a different set of menus the rest of the year.

dizfanz said:
I agree with OP and others. I think menus at restaurants should have a DDP icon next to items that could be ordered on the plan. Or just keep a sperate menu for DDP diners.
I don't believe either option would work. Pretty much, either relegates DDP diners to a lesser status than diners paying out of pocket. What next - DDP/P for diners paying for the plan and DDP/F for diners getting it free, and two different sets of menus for them? Besides, offering only selected items or a separate menu would NOT compel me to eat at any of those restaurants in the future, or even to necessarily stay onsite.

disneyjunkie said:
How would this be fair to those that are paying for the dining plan during the free dining period?
CPer's Mom said:
How would this be fair to those that are paying for the dining plan during the free dining period?
So during the weeks when many of the DDP users got it free but others using the same plan had to pay for it, Host/esses would need to ask each diner if they are on any dining plan, then which one (remember, there's the plan that costs a LOT but offers three full meals a day plus recreation options, etc), then if they're using the DDP whether they paid for the plan or got it free, and hand out menus based on the response? Four different menus? You really think that would work?

CPer's Mom said:
I don't see the plan as "free" per se since you are then paying full price
for your resort room. I honestly doubt that very many people take the time to weigh those factors into their vacation price.
Quite likely true. Now, ultimately I can speak for only myself. I had three options:
1) Don't go to Walt Disney World this year (yeah, I know ;) but I've got three other trips this year)
2) Rent DVC points
3) Stay at Value resort with free dining
Of the choices, number three works for me. Renting the points and either paying for dining or buying/preparing my own food and just eating in a couple of restaurants makes way less sense FOR ME - and costs more. Now, I realize not going costs far less, but c'mon, no Disney in 2006? Blasphemy, I say!

MyGoofy26 said:
I also noticed on our last trip with the dining plan (paid for) that most of the people around us were paying with cash or credit, not the dining plan. I'd be willing to bet that most people eating at table service restaurants are NOT on the dining plan.
I'd buy that. Not all diners are necessarily staying onsite; not all diners staying onsite are necessarily on packages; not all diners are aware of the DDP; in fact, not all diners are on vacation - even Disney-area residents visit the parks and eat at the restaurants.

Tidus said:
If they would like to have special menu choices that aren't included in the DDP, I don't think many would mind at all. As long as it was marked clearly on the menu, who really cares? If Disney has not done this, I am sorry, I will not take the blame for it. It is a pretty easy thing to do if they wanted it.
Do you really think so? "Now, sir, before you place your order, will you be paying for your meal or are you on one of Disney's dining plans? Which one? The 'standard' DDP? Okay, you may order anything one appetizer, any one entree and any one dessert marked with a purple square on the menu? Free, you say? Then of the marked menu items, your appetizers can't be priced higher than $8, entree $22 and dessert $6. Oh, you're on the Deluxe Plan? Fine, you may also select from among the items marked with gold circles. No, you're paying cash? Okay, you may order any item on the menu"

ExPirateShopGirl said:
I am waiting for Disney to eliminate free dining and instead start offering a $37.99 discount per adult and $10.99 per child in each room when a MYW package is booked with dining and park tickets.... two sides... same coin. Give it a new name and voila, no more free dining.
Or, they could, um, oh, I dunno - offer $80 worth of park admission options free,,,, like they did last fall (and maybe in January?) with the purchase of a package - a better deal overall. OTOH, does that mean Guests taking advantage of that promotion can only hop between two parks in a day? Or have to stand out in the sun all day instead of sitting in a shaded area at Blizzard Beach because they didn't pay for the Water Parks & More option?

I love the Disney Dining Plan and I am glad it has returned. When we first started going to Disney in the early nineties, they offered a dining plan called "Food and Fun." You got to eat at selected Disney Restaurants and participate in several of the recreational activites. The "Food and Fun" plan went away and it got whittled down to a Dining Plan with a small selection of restaurants. The Dining Plan was not worth buying.

We always go in late August or September because we dislike crowds. My husband is a police officer and does not want to deal with large crowds on his vacation. The new DDP is wonderful, but I would prefer the standard room discounts we used to get in the Fall. More people are going to the parks now. I do not know if the free dining plan has affected the crowds, but it is not as pleasant as it was before free dining. Last September, the parks were crowded. We saw lines that were from thirty to forty-five minutes wait time. A lot of the Fast-Passes were gone by early afternoon and all the restaurants required a reservation. As I said before, I would prefer paying for the Dining plan and getting the Fall Room discounts. The parks before free Dining in the early Fall were virtually empty and wonderful. popcorn::

CPer'sMom said:
FREE is the operative word ~ When something is offered to people "free" you are going to get many more people who will take the offer. That's the case with the "free" DDP and that's why there are so many guests taking advantage of it while they can. It's because it's FREE!

I don't see the plan as "free" per se since you are then paying full price
for your resort room. I honestly doubt that very many people take the time to weigh those factors into their vacation price. Not to mention the fact that many with the DDP end up with WAY too much food that they otherwise wouldn't even think of ordering.

I was going to book the holiday with disneyworld.co.uk. The price with them (including the dining plan) was $2159 the holiday with dreamsunlimited with free dining was $1488 so for me the dreams package was cheaper.

MyGoofy26, I understand that "not enough" folks were enjoying the old AP menu, thus the change. Disney wants 100% occupancy at all times. But this doesn't change the fact that the food was better then (only my opinion bicker ;) ) and that the choices of the exotic dishes, which was the theme made for a better experience for those choosing to partake in this type of experience.

It's like V&A's, I don't eat there as the ambiance and type of cuisine are not to my personal tastes...But that doesn't preclude me from recognizing, based on reviews here and other places, from people respected by me that V&A's is still the best restaurant on property. Just because it isn't my cup of tea doesn't make it any less great.
pirate:

Why are some so offended about offering certain choices for those that are on DDP. I am not suggesting every restaurant has the same DDP menu with hot dogs, hamburgers and the like. I think many are taking this way too personally. Think of it this way. What if many TS restaurants, including some of the upscale ones, offered a prix fixe menu for $25(or whatever reasonable price) that included an appetizer, entree, and dessert? Before the DDP, many would say this is great. I can now go to a restaurant that I would have not gone to before. It would just be a seperate menu taking some of the items from the regular menu and make it affordable to many. Frequent dinners of those restaurants would not feel that their experience has been cheapened. I do not see the difference between a seperate DDP menu vs. a prix fixe idea, that menu restaurants around the country run with to drum up business. But I expect that their will be about 20 posts telling me their is a difference. BTW, I am not attacking anyone who uses DDP.

dizfanz said:
I think many are taking this way too personally.
Yep :)

Think of it this way. What if many TS restaurants, including some of the upscale ones, offered a prix fixe menu for $25(or whatever reasonable price) that included an appetizer, entree, and dessert? Before the DDP, many would say this is great.
I think you're right about that.

dizfanz said:
Think of it this way. What if many TS restaurants, including some of the upscale ones, offered a prix fixe menu for ... whatever reasonable price ... that included an appetizer, entree, and dessert? Before the DDP, many would say this is great.
I doubt anyone would ever have a problem with that, before or after the Dining Plan was introduced.

I do not see the difference between a seperate DDP menu vs. a prix fixe idea
There is definitely a big difference. Again, many Dining Plan purchasers perceive a lot of the value of the Dining Plan stems from its promise that you can order whatever you wish, just like other guests. It's just like buying into DVC. Most of us DVC members placed a lot of value on the fact that we'd be treated just like regular hotel guests. Indeed, we decided against buying into OKW, and didn't become DVC members until BWV was offer, because we wanted the assurance that came from the same resort having both hotel guests and DVC members, and the promise that we'd be treated the same. So with the Dining Plan, guests are obstensibly pre-paying for your meals (like DVC members are pre-paying for hotel stays), and in return for making that commitment to eat so many of your meals at Disney restaurants (like DVC members, in return for making the commitment to stay at Disney hotels for some many vacations), you're getting a good financial deal.

Again, as I said before, there's nothing wrong with prix fixe. It's just not what the Dining Plan is, and AFAIC, the Dining Plan is better, so I'm more willing to purchase it. Therefore, assuming I'm typical, Disney can expect to be able to charge a greater premium for it, and therefore make more profit from it than from prix fixe.

My intention was not to insinuate Disney makes changes solely on guest/CM feedback. But I think feedback is one of their many tools. And if they hear/read the same complaints (or suggestions) I could see where that could sway a decision.

I believe that in the end the menu choices all come down to what people are willing to pay. The problem is that the lower cost per meal that the DDP has prevents those who want to spend more for higher grade items from spending more. So the DDP has removed the higher priced items from the menu and therefore has lowered the options for those willing to pay more for a better meal.

One of my most memorable meals was when I was on the Gold Plan(I think that's what it was called) back in 1993. We ate at Coral Reef and I ordered the Lobster Stuffed With Crab. The lobster was huge and it practically overflowed the platter, it also had a very large amount of crab. Now you couldn't get that meal in WDW even if you wanted to pay for it. :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter