• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anybody Else Pay OOP to avoid the hassle?

I loathe the existance of the DDP. Why would that be?

Primarily because it is yet another step down the "value engineering" ladder for Disney, further removing themselves from being a premium entertainment experience.

In most cases, you're not truly saving any money. Disney is banking on people's perception of value when paying up front and their forgetting about that "spent" money, while simultaneously decreasing the quality of their food offerings due to artificially increased demand. It's undoubtedly a win for Disney's bottom line, but most likely a personal loss to those participating due to either their paying for uneaten food, receiving an inferior quality product, or getting charged rack room rates when tacking on "free" dining.

On a personal note, and I know this will make me sound like a jerk, but I'm mostly irritated by the decline in the quality of food and the absolute catastrophe getting ADRs has become due to the vast increase in TS patrons who otherwise wouldn't be frequenting TS establishments if not for the DDP.

Words can't express how much I hate the DDP.

I loathe the existance of the DDP. Why would that be?

Primarily because it is yet another step down the "value engineering" ladder for Disney, further removing themselves from being a premium entertainment experience.

In most cases, you're not truly saving any money. Disney is banking on people's perception of value when paying up front and their forgetting about that "spent" money, while simultaneously decreasing the quality of their food offerings due to artificially increased demand. It's undoubtedly a win for Disney's bottom line, but most likely a personal loss to those participating due to either their paying for uneaten food, receiving an inferior quality product, or getting charged rack room rates when tacking on "free" dining.

On a personal note, and I know this will make me sound like a jerk, but I'm mostly irritated by the decline in the quality of food and the absolute catastrophe getting ADRs has become due to the vast increase in TS patrons who otherwise wouldn't be frequenting TS establishments if not for the DDP.

:thumbsup2

Nope, we do the opposite. We get DDP to avoid the hassle of paying OOP and having to worry about prices and keeping up with all the charges, etc or having sticker shock when I see my room charge at the end of the week.

Why do you want to be told what you can or can not eat while on vacation. You are then forced to eat because you have paid for it already. In a way it feels like the military - ordering you to do what they want you to do.

What if we want to go off sit to eat. Which is much cheaper than a Disney meal and also make a huge impact on the money we spend on our vacation.

I want to vacation and not worry about weather or not I used all of our dinning credits to make sure we got our money's worth.

Why do you want to be told what you can or can not eat while on vacation. You are then forced to eat because you have paid for it already. In a way it feels like the military - ordering you to do what they want you to do.

What if we want to go off sit to eat. Which is much cheaper than a Disney meal and also make a huge impact on the money we spend on our vacation.

I want to vacation and not worry about weather or not I used all of our dinning credits to make sure we got our money's worth.

From one Cleveland-er to another ;) - obviously, if there is any possibility you'd want to go offsite to eat (for financial or other reasons), the DDP would make NO sense. And for many of us who use the DDP, we do not feel like we're being forced to eat or being told what to order, or that we're making sure we get our money's worth. Many of us have looked in advance at menus and/or been there several times and know How and What we like to eat. Doing the math to FIT that (how WE want to eat, not fitting what we eat to the plan), and finding it a financial savings (to the tune of almost $300 for our family in 2009 and even more in 2007), it becomes a no-brainer for some of us. And helps to make the vacation even more carefree (though the tip not being included cuts back on some of that to be certain). Just want to point out that for those of us where the DDP IS set up for how we want to eat, it can be a great thing. If it is NOT set up for how you eat/want to eat on vacation, I could see it being a real drag!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter